Camier: "I have to look at what’s best for me" - MVAgusta.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Camier: "I have to look at what’s best for me"

Saw this today.

British rider speaks to WorldSBK.com about 2018 options

Leon Camier (MV Agusta Reparto Corse) is one of the key components of the MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship rider market. With the majority of seats having been filled for 2018, the Englishman's decision for next year is eagerly awaited. Having surpassed expectations at MV Augusta in recent years, he's been in demand but faces a very difficult decision.

If he leaves MV there are a lot of rumours in the paddock that Honda would be his destination, but with almost all WorldSBK and MotoGP™ contracts up for renewal at the end next season, it is likely that Camier would have to sit out the next round of musical chairs. Staying with MV would offer him the chance to sign a one year contract, and then be in a position to play the field for the 2019 season.

“I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I've spoken to my manager about it,” explains Camier. “There's many points to each scenario. You need to make the best decision you can at any given time, and you can't rely on what might happen in the future. For me it’s quite scary because I could try and get a one year deal, and try and leave myself open to joining another team at the end of next year. I don't know though, because I have to look at what's best for me and the situation that I can find that potentially gives me a chance to win something in the future.”

The British rider continues to discuss the potential of the Italian bike: “I feel that there's more to come from the MV in the future but I don't know if it can win consistently. Next year we could be on the podium a lot, depending on how the rules will affect the other bikes. I think that there's a lot improvement to come from this bike, but I don't know if it can be a consistent winner.”

There are a lot of rumours surrounding Camier switching to Honda for 2018, of which he adds: “Honda has had a very difficult year, but last year they were able to be on the podium and be quite competitive with Nicky Hayden and Michael van der Mark. They have the potential and they can make a lot of progress. I have to understand the good and bad of both situations. For sure though if Honda want to win, they can win in WorldSBK.”

Camier has also shown that he is capable of being a winner in WorldSBK but with 180 starts under his belt he is understandably impatient to finally break his duck and win a race. Over the last two years he has consistently outperformed the expectations of the MV team and in doing so he admits that it has placed him in a strange position. There is very little pressure on the Englishman from outside the team and it's a very different situation to ones that he has found himself in at other times during his career.

“There's been no pressure on me to do anything other than the pressure that I put on myself. Motivation has never been an issue for me and I do this for myself. Money has never been a motivator for me; I want to win. It's about working as a team to get to that point, and we've done a great job as a team to develop the MV. I can't take the credit for the success that we've had, because it's been a real team effort from all of us.”

Riding for five manufacturers in WorldSBK, Camier explains how his experience with other bikes has put him in a good position to learn and understand the series and racing as a whole. “Personally, I think that I've made a lot of changes to myself both personally and professionally since riding for other teams. I've made big steps, and I'm not sure if it's made me any faster, but I'm a lot wiser now. I want to win and fight for a title but to get to that point you need to learn from the negatives, because they teach you a lot more than winning. I think it's been good to learn the things that I have learned and for sure I'm riding better than ever now but I want the chance to win and progress in WorldSBK.”

Whether Camier believes that MV can offer him the chance to win will be made clear in the coming weeks, when his future will be confirmed.

WorldSBK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 AM

Read this this morning. Tried to link it but couldn't. Good read.

Ex Silentium Adveho Nex
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM

let's hope he stays with MV and they can improve the bike for him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:09 AM

New Site Garage
Anybody know when the new rules apply?
2018 already? If so, I believe Camier will stick with MV

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:00 PM

New Site Garage
Camier?s departure prompts a queue to form at MV?s door - Bikesport News

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM

New Site Garage

Rather see Jordy Tores on the MV than Loris Baz to be honest.
Not sure about the history of Jordy's stats in championships but he sure as hell knows how to throw that BMW around.
Loris Baz never really made a good impression on me.

"Mileena"

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 PM

IMO Camier should have stayed one more year to boost his image as a fast rider who can turn a program into a winning package . Riders who think the Japanese are the only factories that can make a good bike think Camier was the only key to MVs success this year . Now Camier HAS to bring the new HondaCBR1000RR to a competitive package or people will say the MV F4RR made him look a better rider than he is , And with Torries who is fast and the fact the MVF4RR IS a strong package Camier could end up looking like a flash in the pan . I hope he does wel as he is a fast and well rounded package as a rider .

PS GLAD to See Torries riding the MV F4RR next year . He is FAST and MV has Gotten the power so the F4RR CAN Match The factory Yamaha R1, come close to the Kawasaki zx10RR and is the best Handling bike on the grid. Hopefully next year they can keep the power AND reliability in its 17 year old engine design. Win or lose , I love rooting for MV and underdog teams in general .

PSS......READ DUCATI V-4 is to be an 1100 ??. This makes no sense business wise or race wise?

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-29-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 AM

New Site Garage
Finally seeing a confirmation on new MV Agusta rider. Jordi Torres knows how to throw a bike around. So lets hope he gets a good feeling with the bike and give MV Agusta lots of points.
New rules, new rider. Hope it works out for podium finishes.

"Mileena"

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Thats a really good signing for MV as i reckon Jordi is a very good rider,hopefully he will have a great start and get the MV up near the front .
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:51 PM
JSM

It is unfortunate that after doing all the development work Camier is lost to MV for now however its realistic to think once he is on a theoretically faster / reliable machine he could win a world championship

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode