Motorcycle Vs Auto Road Racing Marketing Values - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Vs Auto Road Racing Marketing Values

About 7-8 years ago a young lady I was seeing took me to an all expenses paid luxury trip to see
NASCAR racing in Phonix Arazona for the copany she worked for was the main sponsor for A Top NASCAR team/driver (team ran fords). A NASCAR fan would have been in hill Billy heaven as I was in the inner circle of team owners/ drivers and handed the tires over the wall to the pit crew during stops.
Personally I could have cared less.. go fast go left ... and the drivers fit the stereo type of Bufford with a fast tractor .

ANYHOW ... Me being into motor tech I was curious of a NASCAR engines specs , horsepower per liter,RPM Red line ect. I asked at least 10 AVID NASCAR fans what was the displacement of a NASCAR Engine .
NO ONE KNEW THE DISPLACEMENT??? They knew the drivers height , weight , if they wore jockey or boxer shorts but knew practically NOTHING of the Car /engine/ transmission specs. ONLY what Brand of car was driven .
Ford , Chevrolet ,Dodge, and Toyota race marketing may still gain sales via the old adage ... Race on Sunday Sell on Monday but it isn't from a stand point where as the consumer/race/Nascar Fan reads up on new technological advances in NASCAR and buys a FORD, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota thinking race tech has improved the car he is purchasing . It is purely from a movie star type admiration View. CONTINUED NEXT POST

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-04-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Big Randaddy

NASCAR Sprint Cup engines are limited to 358 c.i. Recently fuel injected, but still push rod actuated, they generally put out something in the neighborhood of 850 hp revving to around 9000 rpm. At Talledega and Daytona (2.5 mile super speedways) these engines are artificially restricted via restrictor plate technology to 450 hp or so......otherwise the race cars would achieve speeds north of 225mph unrestricted, which NASCAR has deemed too dangerous.

Nascar technology is rooted in the 50's but don't kid yourself. The engineers, aerodynamicists, designers, crew chiefs, etc., are extremely sophisticated and skilled at what they do. They just do it with 3400lb dinosaur race cars.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 08-04-2014 at 06:10 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Big Randaddy

NASCAR fans fall into two distinct groups.....those that pull for the manufacturer (Toyota, Chevy, or Ford), and those that pull for the driver (Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, etc). There is a subset fan that pulls for the teams (Hendrick Motorsport, Roush Racing, etc.).

I'm an ex Honda dealer, so there's no way I can pull for any Toyota team, although I do appreciate the skills exhibited by certain Toyota teams and drivers. Furthermore, I guess I'm fairly unique in that I'm a fan of good racing. I don't generally pull for, or against any team or driver.....even the Toyota guys. I just want to see an exciting race.

NASCAR is very much like any other sport. The more you know about the game, the history of the game, the players, and the arcane hidden details of the game, the more one enjoys the sport.

Something north of a couple billion soccer (futbol) fans can go crazy over a soccer game that ends in a zero-zero draw. Me? I don't know enough about the sport, it's rules, the beauty of a well fought draw, and the historical context of the teams to understand why people get all excited over no score.....I'd rather watch paint dry.

......kinda like running around in circles for 500 miles if you don't know anything about Richard Petty, or that Brad Keselowski and Kevin Harvick have a feud that has been ongoing for three years now.....or that the race track is going to change dramatically as the race transitions from daylight into dark, or that Jeff Gordon is historically slow on the restarts, etc.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 08-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Big Randaddy

Jake, as for what brand of car is being run.....well, there's not actually any "brand" of car. Toyotas, Chevys, and Fords are essentially the same other than very minor front grill differentiation and headlight decals. You can turn a Chevy into a Ford by exchanging the front nose piece and the engine.

Ditto, the engines. NASCAR controls engine specifications with an iron fist. Technically, a Toyota engine is different from a Chevy engine or a Ford engine, as they are built in different facilities representing the three manufacturers. If one manufacturer happens upon an advantage that creates a little too much extra horsepower, NASCAR legislates it out of existence. They want a level playing field. Horsepower differences rarely play a role in team success. Durability frequently does. A few years back Toyota had fast cars, but they couldn't get them to last.....multiple engine failures.

Last edited by Randarosa; 08-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

The Motorcycle race enthusiast/fan is almost the direct opposite of the NASCAR fan. The motorcycle racing fan may know about top riders and admire there talent but its not a factor of which bike to buy. the Motorcycle racing enthusiast/fan educates him of herself with the technological aspects of the racing bike and looks for the racing tech when looking to purchase there next bike.

Also the motorcycle racing fan looks at production racing AKA Supersport, & World Superbike racing as a measure of the Companies ability to produce a Durable and reliable product/Motorcycle.

When BMW pulled the S1000RR out of WSBK . It didn't sit well with the public . I have had riders say they questioned BMWs quality in the S1000R
even though there wasn't any real basis for doubting the IMHO BMW just needed a TOP rider. Haslam WAS top tier rider crashes/injury seems to have taken the edge off his skills . Melandris Alarm clock has rang as father time has caught up with him .. Put Jonathan Rea on the BMW S1000RR
and Tom Sykes will have a fight on his hands .

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-04-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Randyrosa where the hell where you at the Phoenix NASCAR race LOL . I eventually found out the specs from team mechanics but I was shocked how the NASCAR fans I talked to knew EVERYTHING about the drivers and practically NOTHING about the cars ? I figured being such avid fans they would have at least overheard specs/tech ?

Randyrosa I have the utmost respect for engineers that have to squeeze/massage Horsepower from basic low tech engines through there own ingenuity .

That's why you will see me praising MV AGUSTA engineers . The MV F41000R engine design is roughly ? 15 years old and yet , the MV F4RR using Hemi heads(new type hemi but still hemi heads =old tech) makes more Horsepower than any of the Japanese Superbikes/literbikes . (stock) Very Impressive IMHO

Randyrosa..... Look in my picture gallery . You might like my ...DREAM ... engine set up. Diahatsu/Briggs Stratton makes a 1000cc inline 3, pushrod 2 valve per cylinder engine . Small bore /extra long stroke using new Small turbochargers on the market .( when smallest turbo was the T-3 I always said motorcycles and Turbo/superchargers shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL)
With these new small turbos And new EFI tech IMHO I believe this engine set up could be an ideal , easy to ride Superbike literbike.

The undersquare, long stroke 2 valve per cylinder inline 3 is smooth, makes a ton of torque at low rpm ( Via leverage of long stroke) Then the new small Garrett or IHI turbo adds top end power . Not an Ultimate race engine , but an engine set up delivering very linear powerband . An engine set up that makes for a literbike/superbike that EASY to ride fast. Being 48 maybe its just my riding skills deteriating looking for EASY Superbike /literbike to ride LOLOL

RANDYROSA ...THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO POST NASCAR ENGINE SPECS I THOUGH ALL ENGINE SET UPS HAD TO BE IDENTICAL. I WONDERED WHAT TOYOTA V-8 ENGINE WAS MADE WITH PUSH RODS AND 2 VALVE PER CYLINDER... MUCH APPRICIATED
PS... Turbo lag= the new small turbos (Garrett GT1240, 1540 or IHI RHB31) Practically spool at idle ON A 1000cc engine. So turbo is always on ,practically eliminates lag. ( You cant eliminate turbo lag but it is so minimal you have to look for it to feel it )

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-04-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

I digress , Point being people look at race bike reliability as a measure of production bikes reliability .
Example : Rotax has always had a reputation for manufacturing a bullet proof engine . But , since the EBR 1190RX engine failers in WSBK who here hasn't questioned the reliability of the EBR 1190RX ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 PM

The Motorcycle race enthusiast/fan is almost the direct opposite of the NASCAR fan. The motorcycle racing fan may know about top riders and admire there talent but its not a factor of which bike to buy. the Motorcycle racing enthusiast/fan educates him of herself with the technological aspects of the racing bike and looks for the racing tech when looking to purchase there next bike."

Not really. If they do they are mistaken. There is no comparison between the Kawi Tom Syskes rides and the Kawi you can buy. Same applies to any other SBK.

WMRRA #58
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake318 View Post
I digress , Point being people look at race bike reliability as a measure of production bikes reliability .
Example : Rotax has always had a reputation for manufacturing a bullet proof engine . But , since the EBR 1190RX engine failers in WSBK who here hasn't questioned the reliability of the EBR 1190RX ?
Me.

WMRRA #58
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

CLEO Like my MV AGUSYA F4 1000r I love my Worked Super !420cc Firebolt Soon to have small Gt1240 or GT 1540 Garrett underslung Turbo [email protected] 6500RPM 125lbs torque rear wheel. My Buell 1125R with worked heads Crower racing cams roughly 145hp rear wheel AND MY 2013 EBR 1190RS. But as much as admire my 1190RS IT IS A TRUE EBR FACTORY RACER .( 209 Hp 125 lbs ? torque @ 11,500 rpm IF I recall correctly.) The general consensus among Racing engineers is that the base 1125R Rotax V-twin is a quality design that was made for the stress of racing but EBR has made a mistake/miscalculation somewhere when upgrading/redesigning engine internals. (Source=Race Engine Technology & GP1/ German Speed Week.. ..... If anyone gets MOTORCYCLE CONSUMER NEWS , They religiously post ALL recalls. Honda , Suzuki, Kawasaki ect ect ALL New models have Recalls/teething pains . So im not picking on EBR . Rotax has always been known for producing engines that are long lasting and Durable.I have faith EBR will straiten problem out . POINT IS WSBK RACING IS GREAT TEST BED AND MOTORCYCLE RACING FANS/ENTHUSIASTS TEND TO SEE A DURABLE RACE ENGINE AND CONCLUDE IF A MOTORCYCLE CAN HOLD UP TO RIGORS OR RACING IT WILL BE A RELIABLE/DURABLE STREETBIKE. It does make sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode