Superbike vs. MotoGP question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Superbike vs. MotoGP question

Here are some questions I'm hoping other race fans can answer:

1. Is it possible to tune a Superbike to go faster than a current MotoGP bike? Let's assume the rules are changed to be more like they were in the 750 days, or maybe even a little more lax.

2. Would it require factory support to do this? If so, why?

3. Would it be taboo for a major series to allow this? If so, why?

I have this idea that Superbikes should be pushing harder on the MotoGP series for viewers. To your average motorcyle racing fan around the world, I think there is MotoGP and then everything else.

There has been argument that the Superbikes should be changed to more closely resemble Superstock. Why? Why not have both? I think they are both valid.

I think it could be a good idea to make the Superbikes closer to unlimited mods rather than what they have now. With the Ducati being 1200cc now, that should make it closer to "equal" to the 4 cylinder bikes now (or less than equal as piston speeds get higher?).

And if the factories leave, screw 'em. I'm fine with watching Ten Kate vs. Muzzy vs. Ferracci or something like that. They would be racing true hotrods. A series like that might not look like a step down from MotoGP as well.

When Hislop went faster on his 996 Superbike than Rossi did on his 500cc GP bike at Donington, that had an affect on me I guess.

'01 F4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 AM

my answers to your points. 1. no i dont think its possible to make a superbike go faster than a mgp superbikes are a road based series and are not allowed carte blanche on engines chassis etc 2. it would not be necessary for factory involvement but the astronomical costs needed would make it more viable 3.yes i think that wsb has gone too far along the technical route (ala gp) and is getting away from the grass roots , i personally do not think there should be launch control, traction control,quick shifters , slipper clutches etc has these all take away from the skills of the rider , however some of these thing are now available on standard road bikes so i suppose must be allowed. it also makes the wsb series too expensive for the smaller teams to be able to compete, e.g pedercini, because they cant afford the very expensive electronics required and the knock on effect is that the grids are getting smaller like mgp, so i think a revision of the rules is needed to revive the series . this is another reason why ive taken much more interest over the last couple of years of the superstocks in britain and th european series also . full grids more smaller teams ,closer and at times far better racing than ama wsb s sports etc at a fraction of the cost has it is policed well . these are my opinions only dunno what xbikes , stp etc think but i deffo think that the wsb series needs to get back to basics and put more onus on the riders and teams
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

So on point #1, why not allow more changes?

My point was, in the 750 days there were some pretty lax engine tuning rules, and as a result the 4 cylinder bikes were making some pretty stupid levels of horsepower, and this is back in the late '90s. Rumors have it that the last of the RC-45s were making about 195 rear wheel horsepower.

With more ability to modify the engine, to lighten internals, etc there could be higher engine speeds and more power than what we have now. The current rumors are that the "restricted" 1000cc 4 cylinder Superbikes are making 210 to 215 rear wheel horsepower, and the 800cc MotoGP bikes are around 230 to 240.

I realize that there is a big difference between an engine desined for street use, and one designed from the ground up as a grand prix engine.

But it seems to me that a smart tuner with more flexible rules should be able to get from a 1000cc 4 cylinder what a factory can get from an 800cc 4 cylinder. Although, once pneumatic valves become the norm, the 800cc bike is going to be able to rev a lot higher and that makes a big difference.

I also agree that less time, effort, and money should be spent on how to insulate the rider from the bike, and that effort should be spent more on going faster. Push the mechanical envelope, not the electronic one.

The teams which are really going fast these days likely are doing it due to a data advantage. I'm not saying they don't deserve to have this advantage. But it appears that once this advantage happens, it's very difficult for other teams to catch up. I would argue this is a problem with the rules.

'01 F4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Established Member

Even though he is a foreigner and therefore, according to my President, completely untrustworthy and probably planning to blow me up, I suppose that I tend to agree with devilboy. I have always thought that success in racing ought to be the reward of hard work, imagination, good reflexes and a suppressible survival instinct. IMHO, too many competitors today try to “buy” success by throwing handfuls of cash at the equipment. This is not a trend restricted to racing – any kind of serious competition that attracts serious sponsor money also attract serious investors who want to see a return on their money. Just look at the salaries and organizations that rule football (both American and that goddamn weird Limey variation), baseball, golf, high-stakes gambling … hell, even pool players sink big bucks into a stick.

My shortsighted and provincial opinions aside, though, racing has always been a rich man’s sport. If this were not the case, we would see a lot of crazy independent bastards running alongside the winners. You know the kind I’m talking about – erratic, mouth-breathing geniuses who own one pair of pants, sleep in the back of a van and live on cheese sandwiches and Cokes. They’re out there – they’re just NOT WINNING. As it is, it seems to me that the top guys are all supported by well-organized teams who have some serious financial depth behind them. Ipso facto, winning = money (and vice versa).

And in the end, as much as it offends my egalitarian tendencies (that crap’s for the French, anyway), that’s okay. It’s the big teams that are out there testing, innovating, dreaming and helping to better the breed. And they do work hard at it. It’s because of them that public nuisances like me are able to waltz into a dealership with not more than shit for brains and buy a machine that is capable of far, far more than the majority of us will ever be able to extract from it. We owe the big teams a debt of improvement that we, as individuals, would never be able to replicate.

But damn, it sure loses something in the romance department, huh

Andy C.

'00 YAM R1
'06 MV Brutale S
'08 MV 312R
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbeforednf
Even though he is a foreigner and therefore, according to my President, completely untrustworthy and probably planning to blow me up, I suppose that I tend to agree with devilboy.
That's it, I'm not meeting you again at Squires Ian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM

Wasnt the clifford team running a modified R1 motor few years back.

Its not more power that will bring more viewers ,more controls are probably the answer as the tyre rule has shown in WSB. The 125 race at Brno was way more exciting than the moto gp class.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Fast By Ferracci

Send a message via MSN to skaluca
Bikes stands on 2 wheels... everything depend from them.

And I think that if a prototype project ( like a MotoGP ) that don't work at 100% can be slower than a SBK with a top rider at 100% of him and good tires!

That's all I learned!

In the future we'll see... now street bikes are getting closer to racing bikes.
Some years ago the SBK was the REAL SBK!!! Bikes from the street for racing... now the companyes do racing bikes for the street that is TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

Is always a frame with an engine inside, suspensions and round wheels... you've to find the way to let it work!

HAVE FUN!
:P

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

So Luca, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you saying that you liked the days of the Yamaha R7, Honda RC-45, Ducati SPS, etc? Because I did, for sure. Those are the bikes that I wanted to buy.

I don't want a damn GSX-R1000 like everyone else has, although I have to admit they are deadly effective...

I'd rather get a factory special. Which is essentially what the MV 750 was before the 750s were pushed into irrelevance by the rules.

'01 F4S
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM

why because im a foreigner lol ill give a further example of what i mean, going back not so many years when a bike was braking for a tight corner or hairpin you could hear the riders input by listening to him blipping the throttle and gearing down you would see the bike chatter and break traction nowadays due to electronics and slipper clutches you dont often get this instead a rider will just bang down on the gear lever and all u hear is a drone no chatter not as much sliding etc just lessens the spectacle doesnt it?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmivvi
Wasnt the clifford team running a modified R1 motor few years back.

Its not more power that will bring more viewers ,more controls are probably the answer as the tyre rule has shown in WSB. The 125 race at Brno was way more exciting than the moto gp class.
They were, but that was pretty heavily modified I think. I think they even did new head and case castings, which is beyond what a Superbike could do and still call it a Superbike.

I don't know, I think if I was the regular fan and someone asked me if I want to watch the highest paid riders or the fastest bikes, I might choose fastest bike. But I do agree that if the racing isn't competitive, it won't last.

'01 F4S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode