STP Race report from Oulton - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

STP Race report from Oulton

If you've seen any of my earlier posts you will know who I am referring to in the report.

For those not familiar this paragraph will help with the names.
Rod is Rod Lynn riding in the Superstock Cup on an R1
Matt is Matt Whitman doing the championship on an R1
Warwick is Warwick Nowland
Kris is Warwicks wife
Victor is Victor Cox who rode the MV until breaking his wrist at Oulton last time round
Chris is Chris Burns our newly recruited rider from MotoGP
Kev is Kev, the chief engineer
Chris, Bob and Nigel form a part of what we loosely term the management team.

Oulton Park July 2007

It rained a bit at Mondello, but then there is a bit of a history of rain there. But at Mondello there was no Cup race anyway, and we had decided not to take the MV's due to a shortage of mended riders.

So then we went to Knockhill, a fun place most of the time. We had a full house there with Rod on a double header in the Cup, Matt with his leathers dried out from Mondello and new recruit Chris Burns standing in for the injured guys. It rained again, but at all the wrong times making progress very difficult indeed. Then, for good measure the race conditions were considered unsafe and we didn't get to race at all. The good news is that we get two races at the Donington round.

Next up was Oulton Park, the scene of our greatest success and greatest tragedy last time we came here. Matt scored his first top 10, Rod got 'Rider of the Day' and Victor broke his wrist.

Never mind, it would all be different this time. Right!!

This was the first time we had Warwick running the show and with the precision known only in the Australian Navy the show got underway on the Thursday. I arrived late Thursday evening having been assured that everything would be in place and supper would be on the table waiting for me. What a fantastic start to the weekend I thought. Reality can be a disappointment sometimes though. When I arrived we had a pitch down in the cheap seats, rather like last time, and whilst the roof was up and the floor was down, there were no sides in sight. Could this still be Wednesday I wondered.

Never mind, at least the timetable for the weekend meant we had plenty of time to get everything running sweetly. The first time we go out on track is 3:30 in the afternoon with a 25 minutes free practice session (in the wet). Rod followed up at 4:30 also in the wet. Chris managed to get the MV round in 9th place but was unhappy with the fuelling again which makes the bike hard to ride. Matt was finding his feet with a steady 18th place. Rod was looking steady too with a solid 22nd position of the 41 riders. With any luck qualifying will be dry and we could then show what we could really do.

Saturday arrived warm and dry after all the rain we'd had for the previous 2 rounds. Chris last rode here 5 years ago and the circuit has had some changes since then, Matt of course was here in great form earlier in the year. From the start Chris just went backwards as the Knockhill settings proved to be wildly inappropriate so it became more of a track familiarisation session than a serious qualifying attempt. Matt on the other hand was beginning to enjoy the conditions and finished the session in an impressive 11th position just 1.5 seconds off pole man Steve Brogan who was half a second clear of everyone.

Rods first qualifying was in cloudy/wet conditions but he managed to post a time good enough for 16th, excellent progress being shown by Rod.

Rods second qualifying session was in dry conditions later the same day. Now this is one of those strange things, he went over 3 seconds faster and dropped like a stone down to 29th position. Clearly Rod was not a happy Bunny after that.

The second qualifying session for Chris and Matt was really a reflection of the first session with Matt pretty much maintaining his position and Chris now having an off on lap 4 after finding a persistent misfire. Fortunately Chris was unhurt and the bike only needed a dusting down, but again valuable track and testing time was lost. Kev and his team worked really hard to try and locate the mysterious problem on the bike.

Rods Cup race was at 3:50, apparently in sunny/dry conditions. What would be a good result from a 29th position start. I think Rod had resigned himself to the fact a podium was going to be a challenge, in reality breaking out of the top twenty would be pretty damn good. That said Rod got his head down and was riding smoothly and ruthlessly getting up to 16th at one point before being dragged back a couple of places towards the end. A very fine 18th place, so close to the points. Well done Rod, it's all a part of the learning process.

Race day was fun too for the championship. Sunday started dry and got wetter. Some of us could just imagine how things could get worse.

We were due to be the last race of the day, something we always appreciate. It was wet all afternoon making the conditions on the track very difficult indeed. This weekend we had the luxury of watching the ITV Sport repeat and live coverage of the Superbikes at the circuit. Even when it stopped raining the weather never allowed a dry line to appear, at least we knew for certain that it was a wet race.

As the riders went out for their sighting lap the rain started to come down, and it just got heavier and heavier. The race got underway and after 4 laps the red flag came out to cancel the race and for the second time in two meetings we never managed to get to race.

It's hard when that happens to take away positive things from the weekend. However there were many small things that happened away from the actual bike performances that look very positive indeed. No details at this time but as the year progresses and we learn more about racing at this level, and what it will take to race at the next level the more optimistic I think we should be feeling.

It would be rude not to mention some of the obvious changes, we know have Kris looking after the catering side of things and that worked really well, thank you Kris. Warwick's enthusiasm was infectious, Chris, Bob and Nigel, apart from getting wet had a number of startling realisations about the mountain ahead. We can see the top, we now need to plan the route to it.

With the cancellation of this race, we now have two double headers scheduled for later in the year, the Oulton round is now to be held on the Brands Indy circuit next winter (October) at the final round. I have no idea what the cunning plan will be if that gets cancelled too.

All things being equal Victor will get out on the MV at Castle Combe at the end of the month and we expect he will go well there.

Warwick is off to Japan to ride the Suzuka 8 hours race with Phase One with team mate Glen Richards. We believe that Victor might be riding a wild card entry for the European Superstock round at Brands Hatch at the end of the month before the show moves on to Croft.

In between we have the Croft test day as well.

As if that isn't enough we shall be attending the MV Owners Club day at Cadwell Park on the 16th August.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM

great ! thanx for this report bob, having been there and spectating in the shit conditions i want to let you know that its just has frustrating from a spectators point of view as well. mind you i do feel for the teams and riders that after all the effort thats put in that theres no race for yoy at the end of the weekend. i really cant understand why the s/stox are now constantly being put on has the last race, surely it should be the 125s but preferably the r6 cup which for me is getting very boring
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilboy
great ! thanx for this report bob, having been there and spectating in the shit conditions i want to let you know that its just has frustrating from a spectators point of view as well. mind you i do feel for the teams and riders that after all the effort thats put in that theres no race for yoy at the end of the weekend. i really cant understand why the s/stox are now constantly being put on has the last race, surely it should be the 125s but preferably the r6 cup which for me is getting very boring
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! If they put the 125's on last everybody would be

They always put a desirable to watch race on last to keep the crowds there, but being last is shit, when we raced in the Porsche cup with the Toca Touring car package we were always last billing, we once got a 2 lap race at Brands due to race stopages and a 18:00 curfew which isn't a race, a race requires at least 3 laps and was declared null and void

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Nice write up Bob.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode