Helmet Visor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Helmet Visor

Are there ratings for helmet visors? I'm going to replace my Arai with a new tinted visor and I'd like to get a high-quality finish (dark tint/polarized).

I found another Forum (don't beat me up) that had a good dialogue on this. Apparently, most of the people are happy with the Tinted Arai visor. Some going as far as avoiding the Iridium based on how easily they scratch.

My question is whether is if the Tinted model is UV coated?

I went to the Arai site and the "Accessories" tab is under construction/maintenance so I was unable to get specs there.

Suggestions/Comments?

Last edited by LiquidWhy; 06-23-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: More Details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM

I have a couple of Arai helmets and am happy with the visor quality. But I'll tell you that if you're not totally careful with your helmets, a mirrored visor will definitely be easy to scratch. It also has a tendency to show finger prints from opening/closing.

Great question about UV protection, though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM

first thing i buy with a new helmet is a tinted visor. by UV protection i'm guessing you just mean polarized and thats an easy check - put the visor on, walk outside and look at the sky. as you tilt you head from side to side it should change colour slightly.

of all the ones i've had, any with a mirror finish (ie gold iridium like my current) show prints easily and scratch very easily. normal dark tints last better. what i would be looking for more importantly is a little ISO sticker. down here its (australian standard) AS1609. in the US you want to see "exceeds Z87.1/VESC-8" somewhere on the visor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Actually, the best way to tell if something is polarized is to look at a digital watch (or even an iPhone style cell phone). Rotate the watch and at some point you won't be able to see the display at all.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snohman View Post
first thing i buy with a new helmet is a tinted visor. by UV protection i'm guessing you just mean polarized and thats an easy check - put the visor on, walk outside and look at the sky. as you tilt you head from side to side it should change colour slightly.

of all the ones i've had, any with a mirror finish (ie gold iridium like my current) show prints easily and scratch very easily. normal dark tints last better. what i would be looking for more importantly is a little ISO sticker. down here its (australian standard) AS1609. in the US you want to see "exceeds Z87.1/VESC-8" somewhere on the visor

I'm no expert by any means, but polarization != UV protection. UV protection means screening out the baddie UV (UV-A & UV-B if i remember correctly).

Polarization is a bit different.... (perhaps this also screens out UV somehow, but you can def. have sunglasses w/ UV protection that are NOT polarized)

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
The Dude

Found this:

Quote:
From "F.H." (11/08): "I was reading your review on the Arai quantum helmet with interest. I have owned and worn Arai helmets for about 5 years now. I share many of your frustrations with them, including noise and a terrible shield removal system.

Let me add another complaint to the list: Sunburns on my face, with the visor down. Apparently the Arai clear visors donít even block UV rays like every other helmet in the world does. They claim they do, but if you wear one on a sunny day for more than a hour, you better be ready for a burn on your face.

I would like to see you do some UV testing on visors added to your helmet reviews. I canít believe a $600 helmet doesnít block UV."

Editor's Note: I asked F.H. if he was sure it was an Arai visor. Raw polycarbonate will not filter UV light, but UV light will degrade the untreated polycarbonate, thus all motorcycle visors are supposed to be treated or manufacture red to have UV resistance, otherwise the entire visor would quickly become cloudy and unusable.

F.H. replied: "It is most definitely an Arai visor. This is my third Arai, all Signets. I have also been contacted by other riders using Arai helmets with the same complaint of sunburns, so I am not the only one with this problem.

I have contacted Arai (several times) about this, and canít get a straight answer from them. I log over 30K miles a year on various bikes, and do a lot of riding out west, and I can tell you I have had days where my whole face hurts and is bright red and burned after a day with the Arai on.

I donít know what they could have possibly done to the plastic in the shield to make this happen, but I can tell you for certain it is true. I donít know if the new Profile suffers from this or not, but unless they made a change to their visor, I suspect it does."
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/arai-helmet

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode