3M Dual Lock is Superior to Velcro - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stephen3141593

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
3M Dual Lock is Superior to Velcro

I recently pulled into a parking lot on my F4 and cranked the handlebar hard right to park. It didn't move. My radar detector had come loose from the wind screen and wrapped around the handlebar. I was using industrial strength Velcro, and it was obviously lacking in 6sigma reliability.

I knew I had to find something stronger and more reliable than Velcro. I found 3M Dual Lock. It's very strong. You use it just like Velcro. It locks on its self. There is no fuzzy and smooth side. Both sides have interlocking mushroom heads.

The literature says don't use 400 density with 400 density, so of course that's what I did. The attachment tore up the dual lock a little. So I guess the literature is correct. I'm using 250 density on 400 now and it's plenty strong. Tensile strength is 60 lb/sqin. My wind screen is curved so I never get a full square inch engaged. Direct tensile strength for the 250/400 mix is 60 lb/in. If you pull from the side to pry it up, I'd estimate its 12 lb/in.

There's lots of info online about 3M Dual Lock. It definitely replaces Velcro for me. The adhesive on the strips is also far superior to the industrial strength Velcro adhesive backings.

Here's a link to the 3M Dual Lock technical data sheet:
https://3m.citrination.com/pif/001095?locale=en-US
BSR-1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode