Best GPS (for US)? - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Best GPS (for US)?

Posting this in the TV Forum as I am guessing I'll find more long haulers in this board than our F4 brothers.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching and reading reviews on motorcycle-specific and general use GPS units and I can't seem to find any consensus other than the fact that most people seem pretty frustrated with overall functionality, reliability, connectivity, legibility, loving new models but wishing for a feature from the old one that was phased out, etc.

I am getting by with my phone on a RAM mount for now but I am planning on extending my rides in areas where I won't have cell coverage. It seems crazy that in this day and age, there isn't a solid, widely recognized model identified as the best GPS companion for riders and that would be a no-brainer for me to go to.

What model do you guys use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
Posting this in the TV Forum as I am guessing I'll find more long haulers in this board than our F4 brothers.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching and reading reviews on motorcycle-specific and general use GPS units and I can't seem to find any consensus other than the fact that most people seem pretty frustrated with overall functionality, reliability, connectivity, legibility, loving new models but wishing for a feature from the old one that was phased out, etc.

I am getting by with my phone on a RAM mount for now but I am planning on extending my rides in areas where I won't have cell coverage. It seems crazy that in this day and age, there isn't a solid, widely recognized model identified as the best GPS companion for riders and that would be a no-brainer for me to go to.

What model do you guys use?
Don't know for US, but here, in Europe, both Tomtom and Garmin have their fans. Generally (and I suppose the following statement will be applicable for US as well):

- Tomtom are more user friendly but more limited in functionalities

- Garmin are more advanced in terms of functionalities but there is quite a learning curve.

At the end, it is a question of preference. If you ride with groups, ask around what they use and why they prefer it, ask them to show you… Sometimes the preference comes about the easiest way to share the files for the group trips… Good luck in your choice, and hopefully others will chime in about their own experience in US...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 PM

New Site Garage
If you're already set-up for your smartphone then have a look at CoPilot. Mapping data is stored on the phone, or microSD card, so no issues with the need for mobile data. Route planning on your PC using ITN Converter which saves in the required .TRP format.

Or, as Marc says, Garmin or TomTom. Garmin Zumo is my preference but that's me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
If you're already set-up for your smartphone then have a look at CoPilot. Mapping data is stored on the phone, or microSD card, so no issues with the need for mobile data. Route planning on your PC using ITN Converter which saves in the required .TRP format.

Or, as Marc says, Garmin or TomTom. Garmin Zumo is my preference but that's me.
ITN converter. You the man! Thanks for that recommendation. Very helpful!!

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
ITN converter. You the man! Thanks for that recommendation. Very helpful!!
Alternatively, you may look at MyRouteApp.com which is web based and not requiring to be windows user to work. I think it has similar capabilities as ITN Converter, including in terms of export capabilities…

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:21 AM
Established Member

Garmin mapping software is also available for download on any smart phone. I think it is about $50. No cell service
required with this software.

I personally use a Zumo 590 and have no issues what so ever. Planning long multi day routes via Basecamp is tedious however I've been satisfied with the concept and use.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Established Member

You can save maps for offline use on Google maps for many years now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:31 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittmeister View Post
You can save maps for offline use on Google maps for many years now.
yes, you can. But there is far to much limitations in capabilities with Google maps when speaking of riding. Google Maps and Here Maps are excellent solutions when targeting a point without having to bother about the route you'll take. However, when you bother about where you ride, it takes more points than what the multipoints ability of both solutions are.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:33 AM

I use a Garmin 590, only issue is battery longevity on standby. As long as you remember to turn it off fully all is well.
As already mentioned Basecamp is a pain, I use motogoloco for planning, as I find it easier to use, but with multiple waypoints it Starts to divide the route up. Example... On a 600 mile route last year I had 3 separate maps.

"http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/24-events-rides-group-rides-meets/220873-may-25th-may-28th-2018-mvosges-event-vosges-france.html#post2334257"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:49 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick749 View Post
I use a Garmin 590, only issue is battery longevity on standby. As long as you remember to turn it off fully all is well.
As already mentioned Basecamp is a pain, I use motogoloco for planning, as I find it easier to use, but with multiple waypoints it Starts to divide the route up. Example... On a 600 mile route last year I had 3 separate maps.
I was relying on ITN Converter for planning until recently where I discovered MyRoute-App which has some additional capabilities compared to ITN Converter (plot your route while displaying multiple other itineraries in reference, easy sharing of itineraries, comparison between Garmin and Tomtom results, …)

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode