looking for a quiet helmet - Page 5 - MVAgusta.net
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The Etymotic ear speakers are high end sound. The transducer pokes through a sound isolating ear plug of the flange type. Two different sizes and a foam type are available. I use the small grey flanged ear plug with mine. There is a very small green filter in the end of the transducer housing to prevent ear wax from fouling the sound. When that gets dirty, you can replace it with a new filter.

The cord is long and your source for whatever sound you are listening to can be placed well within the reach of that cord. There is a clip on the cord to anchor the wires to the neck of your shirt, or a pocket, and once you sort out what works for you it should work well.
Fastspy, Fastspy, airjawed and 1 others like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 PM

New Site Garage
Got the Etymotic high def motorcycle ear plugs and these are really good! At first I was worried that they stick out further compared with the Ear Peace ones but they are designed really well and basically can't be pushed too far and they make all the right sounds come through to my ears from my bike. I switched the tabs out for the neck lace/string thing. It makes it slightly more flush and hopefully reduces my chances of loosing them.

This might be a great ear plug to use with in helmet communications systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
Was looking for feedback on how well they worked! I know I didn't really say that but do they work well? What about the wire.. does it get pulled on as you move your head around for canyon carving? Actually I would use them for commuter days most likely but your feedback is appreciated.

Tried foam-- too much blocking out of sound
Dubs-- doesn't work well with helmet but good for general use
Ear Peace-- Had to experiment with placement before I found the sweet spot where it wouldn't move but it worked really well until I lost them!
Etymotic-- should get them any day now in the mail. Seems to have a few different size fittings and a foam one as well. Looks promising.

Bose does make noise cancelling ones but they are not going to do well with helmets.. similar to dubs in size/shape I think
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Was looking for feedback on how well they worked! I know I didn't really say that but do they work well? What about the wire.. does it get pulled on as you move your head around for canyon carving? Actually I would use them for commuter days most likely but your feedback is appreciated.

Tried foam-- too much blocking out of sound
Dubs-- doesn't work well with helmet but good for general use
Ear Peace-- Had to experiment with placement before I found the sweet spot where it wouldn't move but it worked really well until I lost them!
Etymotic-- should get them any day now in the mail. Seems to have a few different size fittings and a foam one as well. Looks promising.

Bose does make noise cancelling ones but they are not going to do well with helmets.. similar to dubs in size/shape I think

I have worn Bose sound cancelling ear buds for about 4 years - expensive but still going strong - they have two levels of noise cancelling and you can use with or without music

I have a Schuberth SR2 (which replaced a SR1)

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:08 PM

New Site Garage
Which ones exactly? Any bud that extends beyond my tragus will make contact with helmet especially when taking headphones on or off. I wear helmets snug(race fit). But if bose makes something flush I'd like to try them out if wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharLy View Post
I have worn Bose sound cancelling ear buds for about 4 years - expensive but still going strong - they have two levels of noise cancelling and you can use with or without music

I have a Schuberth SR2 (which replaced a SR1)
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Question

Quote:
Which ones exactly? Any bud that extends beyond my tragus will make contact with helmet especially when taking headphones on or off. I wear helmets snug(race fit). But if bose makes something flush I'd like to try them out if wireless.
Ok, I'll bite...what is "race fit"? How is it different from "street fit"? That is the implication here, right?

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:15 PM

New Site Garage
You'll hear the term race fit for track suits and helmets. The owner of sportbiketrackgear often uses the term. Essentially a tight fit with no room. In suits it means you are uncomfortable when standing upright but when in tucked position it allows the needed movement. In helmets what it means to me is that its hard to put on due to narrow opening and once on you can not put a finger anywhere between your helmet and your head. You won't be comfortable for all day wearing but the wind at high speed won't move the helmet on your head(push helmet so it makes contact with your chin, mouth or nose). No room for eyewear either. So there is no room for an ear bud the protrudes from the ear at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Ok, I'll bite...what is "race fit"? How is it different from "street fit"? That is the implication here, right?
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:

I have the wired QC20 with sport ear buds - they’re quite soft and mailable - we have a Bose outlet near us and can normally get 20% off list

Not tried the wireless ones they have a ‘headband’ types thing so not sure if would work with a helmet

They need to put the battery pack somewhere I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“If you don't know where you are going any road can take you there”
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I just picked up my new Shoei GT Air whis the SENA 10u. As soon the weather is better I will have a big test drive. I‘ve done one whis this helmet before purchase and it was really quiet. Can‘t wait until the weather will change. The winter will not go 😞

Gero

Last edited by Gero HH; 03-30-2018 at 06:14 AM.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I had my test drive and for me the Shoei GT-Air is one off the quiet helmets I ever had...!!
very pleased with the investment

I'm not sure where to put the Handlebar Remote.. ?
on the handlebar itself is not enough space.. otherwise I will have a problem with my hand.

Gero
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero HH View Post
I had my test drive and for me the Shoei GT-Air is one off the quiet helmets I ever had...!!
very pleased with the investment

I'm not sure where to put the Handlebar Remote.. ?
on the handlebar itself is not enough space.. otherwise I will have a problem with my hand.
While I use the Sena 10U headset in my Shoei GT-Air, I have no use of the handlebar remote : instead, I use the magic button from the TV (Phone paired with the TV dashboard as phone, GPS paired as GPS device with the TV Dashboard, 10U paired as Headset device - I can command music, pass or respond a call from the handlebar itself without the Sena remote). In addition, the 10U voice activation may complete the loop for the communication with others, but never tried this...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode