MotoGP Armor - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
lk

MotoGP Armor

Hey

I'm guessing that those guys are NOT wearing the same types of armor we can buy. I saw a bit when Rossi was putting on his boots and they were nothing like the boots that i've ever seen offered.. it was more like a cast molded shoe then he slipped a leather boot over it. And when looking at the camera view from the bikes tail section facing the back of the rider.. the armor covering their backs looks much longer and thicker.

So.. i wanna know:

1) Who is the maker of the armor they actually wear?

2) Is it available to the public?

3) Where can i go to consider it?

I'm sure it's expensive but regardless i'd like to know.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM

For boots check Frei Daytona ( Helimont is a US importer) They are pricey ($ 1000 USD) but are the best . you can also buy just one if replacement is neccessarry !!! They are iner shell and outher shell and all parts can be ordered separatelly if neccessarry !!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Established Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Cool

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=68

Wonderful boots!

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
lk

i'm very familiar with Frey Daytons.. i have the Security Evo boots.
I know about all the top suppliers of gear.. what i DONT know is where to find the stuff those riders ACTUALLY use.
The other racers for local or Isle of Man races are probably using the same stuff we do.. but i'm specifically reffering to MotoGp.. those guys are wearing things i've never seen available... the boots are not in any catalogue.. the outside shell looks the same.. but they are NOT the same at all. The armor is thicker, wider and taller then anything i've seen.. including the high-quality T-Pro flexible soft armor.

Anyone have any inside info here?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:36 PM

Cool

Quote:
those guys are wearing things
This thread is useless without pics...

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM

helimot store is pretty close to where i live, i actually tried their top of the line daytonas (with inner shoes) very pricey, they even custom made gloves, i just dont like the color combination, but very comfortable
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM

My understanding is a good bit of the "key" safety gear these guys use is custom made based on personal preference (and company established standards) by the rider's gear company...made in a "custom shop" environment. Price isn't really the point, man hours, R&D, and materials are. Biaggi said his upper body stuff could cost tens of thousands, but he really doesn't know. He tells Dainese what he's wants, they take his need and comfort into consideration, then they figure it out, using standards already established by the group...a lot of what I'm talking about is based on boots & back protection, which he said, that T-Pro was the first to start bringing the kinds of back protection and materials used in SBK & MGP to the general public.

Apparently the inner suit stuff is very light and flexible based on which direction you want it to bend towards, using overlapping strips of carbon, kevlar and padding.

With this said, my understanding is that most of the field uses safety bits that are very close to what we can buy (The link below, somewhat backs this up) and the guys like Rossi have access to what ever they want, regardless of cost, and like with a Lance Armstrong bike, there is a team at "headquarters" that are constantly coming up with new, special and insanely expensive bits and pieces. We will see benefit in our suits, back protectors, boots and helmets a "few years down the road". Apparently, unless we're a Rossi or a major stockholder, we simply can't get the very same gear of those we follow and support, regardless of being able to afford it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehXyzeypYg

Last edited by DB Graves; 04-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks DB ,very interesting topic.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
lk

Thanks DB.... so glad you had some light to shed on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode