Problem with all helmets help please - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
Problem with all helmets help please

As I grow older with three kids and couple millions of business capital debts I value my life more and more and I began re evaluating my safety gears. Just last week I heard a horror story from a senior rider, he told me that he witnessed too many lost lives due to one size too big helmet, saying that wearing a high end helmet that is one size too big is as unsafe as wearing cheap Chinese helmet. I became paranoid and re evaluated my helmets with proper fitting references from the internet and I just found out that I have been riding with (I assume) wrongly fitted helmets since 1994...Due to lack of informations (and ignorance) I always choose helmet sizes based on comfort, I used to always measure my head right on the top of my eyebrows and assumed that my melon is 61cm, all my helmets are XL (61-62cm) sizes. After reading several internet references and re measured my head by circumference on 2.5cm above my eyebrows I am actually 59-60cm or L size.

I don't know what sin my mom and dad made when they made me but my melon is oddly shaped, on 60-61 (XL) helmets my cheek and eyebrows area fit snugly and comfortably (can't slide my finger between eyebrows area) but the top of my head and the back of my head is definitely a bit lose, so when I deliberately hit the back bottom part of my helmet with upward direction hit it will slide forward down covering half of my eyes even with tightly secured strap, it doesn't come off but it definitely slide a bit. On the other hand 59-60cm (L) sized helmets feels very comfortable and nice snug for the top and back of my head but my eyebrow and R/L temple area suffer really bad to the point I get migraine or headache after an hour ride. This applies to all brands I've tried/owned and due to my paranoia I bought 4 different helmets in the last 5 days, Shoei Neotec, X-Lite X-802RR, Schubert C3 Pro , Nolan N87. The best fitting so far is Schubert C3 Pro XL but I definitely can feel there is at least one finger wide gap right behind the top of my head...

Am I just being too paranoid and a little gap here and there is fine? I definitely cannot endure wearing 59-60cm (L) size on all the brands I've tried due to the discomfort and pain but I am afraid 61cm (XL) size won't protect my melon properly.. advice please, this paranoia is getting really expensive for refund policy does not exist in my country.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 07-16-2017 at 12:58 AM.
uwiik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
This is how much the helmet slides forward on back hit test simulating typical crash (based on X-lite user manual) on Shoei Neotec XL

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
uwiik is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
This is how much the helmet slides forward on back hit test simulating typical crash (based on X-lite user manual) on X-lite X-802RR size L

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
uwiik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:52 AM
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 80
I've just went through a similar experience on sizing a new helmet after a break from biking for a number of years. I watched all the 'experts' on YouTube and read a lot or articles on the internet. I ended up going to a good bike shop that supplied a wide range of helmets with the view that I'd be coming home with a Shoei X-Fourteen, after being measured at the shop and trying on the Shoei it was clearly not the helmet for the shape of my head. Next was an AGV Corsa-R and the assistant said it wouldn't suit my head shape, they were right. Next choice was an Aria RX7, which I was measured for and tried on. I was convinced the helmet was way too tight and would give me a major headache across my forehead. The guy rechecked the size and told me to go home and wear the helmet for a few days and it it would 'settle' to my head shape, if it didn't they would swap it with no questions. Wore the helmet and guess what, after a few rides, it's a perfect fit. My advice to you would be to get to a shop with a good reputation and have them fit the correct helmet shape and size for you. I chose a couple of high end helmets as my preferences but if it had come to it and the only one that would fit correctly was a 100 'lesser' brand then that's the helmet I would have purchased, you only get one head!

F3 800 MY16
Anamorphic is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
I've just went through a similar experience on sizing a new helmet after a break from biking for a number of years. I watched all the 'experts' on YouTube and read a lot or articles on the internet. I ended up going to a good bike shop that supplied a wide range of helmets with the view that I'd be coming home with a Shoei X-Fourteen, after being measured at the shop and trying on the Shoei it was clearly not the helmet for the shape of my head. Next was an AGV Corsa-R and the assistant said it wouldn't suit my head shape, they were right. Next choice was an Aria RX7, which I was measured for and tried on. I was convinced the helmet was way too tight and would give me a major headache across my forehead. The guy rechecked the size and told me to go home and wear the helmet for a few days and it it would 'settle' to my head shape, if it didn't they would swap it with no questions. Wore the helmet and guess what, after a few rides, it's a perfect fit. My advice to you would be to get to a shop with a good reputation and have them fit the correct helmet shape and size for you. I chose a couple of high end helmets as my preferences but if it had come to it and the only one that would fit correctly was a 100 'lesser' brand then that's the helmet I would have purchased, you only get one head!
Did you get headache with the Arai RX7 during break in phase? I quite like the fit of my X-lite X802RR but I am still getting slight migraine after an hour ride, so far still only two rides.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 07-16-2017 at 02:36 AM.
uwiik is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:55 AM
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwiik View Post
Did you get headache with the Arai RX7 during break in phase? I quite like the fit of my X-lite X802RR but I am still getting slight migraine after an hour ride, so far still only two rides.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
First couple of hours wearing the Aria I felt some pressure on my forehead, it wasn't causing a headache, just some discomfort. I was convinced the helmet was too tight, if the discomfort has continued I wouldn't have been able to put up with it long term. I persevered and now it is a perfect fit.

F3 800 MY16

Last edited by Anamorphic; 07-16-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Anamorphic is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Black_Gold_Saw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,450
New Site Garage
U need to keep in mind that when u buy a helmet it needs to be tight, but not pressure on the head that u get an headache.
Overtime the fabric inside helmet gets softer and worn in and will fit your headshape and fit like a glove.

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black_Gold_Saw is online now  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
First couple of hours wearing the Aria I felt some pressure on my forehead, it wasn't causing a headache, just some discomfort. I was convinced the helmet was too tight, if the discomfort has continued I wouldn't have been able to put up with it long term. I persevered and now it is a perfect fit.
Did half an hour ride on my X-lite, I can tell that the pressure on my temple had decreased and I did not get massive headache, but discomfort and slight migraine was still there. I hope it will soften further. However, the pressure on my cheek is still very strong, perhaps I need to replace the cheek pads with the thinner option.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 07-16-2017 at 07:39 AM.
uwiik is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Gold_Saw View Post
U need to keep in mind that when u buy a helmet it needs to be tight, but not pressure on the head that u get an headache.
Overtime the fabric inside helmet gets softer and worn in and will fit your headshape and fit like a glove.
I came to understand that recently. However, like I described on first post, it wasn't easy with my head shape, it's either too tight on my temple (never forehead, just temples) and cheek causing pain on L size or nice tight fit on temples and everywhere else but loose on top of my head on XL size. Ughhh, I hate the shape of my head...

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
uwiik is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
uwiik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Jakarta-Indonesia
Posts: 151
New Site Garage
This drawing is what best describe my situation. Tried/own 5 different brands (Shoei-Arai-Schuberth-Nolan-Xlite) with each brand resulting in similar situation. It seems that my head in the middle between L and XL size.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
uwiik is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome