Fugly Front Stand - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Fugly Front Stand

I am looking for a front stand which lifts from under the stearing head, rather than the forks or wheel, so I can check steering head bearings, remove wheel, forks etc. I was interested in the Biketek Front Head Stand or Pit Bull Newfront Stand, but neither seems to offer MV fitment, due to the MV not having a hole for the pin which slots under the steering head. The Pit Bull offers a Ducati conversion kit without pin, but after searching through old threads, it seems that this does not fit MV. So...I found this one by Red Racing Parts (Italy):

http://www.redracingparts.com/en/eng...rontstands.php

Name:  Red Racing Front Stand.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  8.7 KB

Then I found this one by Anderson Stands (Australia) and here's how they describe it on their website:

"NEW FRONT END LIFTER - THE Mk 5 or ďFuglyĒ We have 2 other steering head lifters - the Mk 3 & 4, but they canít lift 8 valve Ducatis or MV Agustas, because these donít have a hole in the bottom of the steering stem. The Mk 5 uses a different lifting principle so it doesnít need a hole, and it turns out to work well on most other bikes as well. Ideal for workshops. Only trouble is itís so damn ugly!"

That's just too funny! (For those who don't know, "fugly" is short for "[email protected] ugly!")

http://www.andersonstands.com/galler...5%20Ducati.htm

Name:  Fugly.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  80.5 KB

At a glance, the Fugly looks a lot stronger and sturdier, and is around double the weight of the Red Racing Stand, but it is ugly alright! Both offer Ducati and MV fitment, which is ideal for me, as I have both. Shipping isn't an issue as I am heading Downunder soon and both are around the same price, but I am leaning towards the Fugly.

My question is: does anyone use either one of these stands (or any other similar stand) on their MV and can you recommend it? In other words: do they work? What front head stand works on MV?

If you're not living life on the edge - you're taking up too much space!

2000 MV F4S
1992 Ducati 888 SP4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM

the MV faq has a list of stands. mvfaq.blogspot.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Ducati front stand will work just fine , There is a 1/8 of an inch hole which is sufficient for front stand pin that has been machined to a sharp point to fitt in !!! Its a bit pricey at $ 400.00 USD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdays View Post
the MV faq has a list of stands. mvfaq.blogspot.com
Thanks thursdays - i never think of checking the FAQ page when looking to buy something.

Now I have the Caprimoto Front Wheel stand to consider as well. I would also consider the "MV Factory windup front stand p/n 800095807", but getting factory MV parts can be hard work, so I'll take the part of least resistence. The three in consideration are around the same price, so I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses any of the three, particularly with regards to ease of use, stability, quality of workmanship, etc.?

Nicolino - is that the Pit Bull stand that costs $400? Pit Bull come well recommended, but between the cost of the stand and shipping cost from the US, it's probably not my best option, but thanks for the suggestion - its good to know they fit MV.

Caprimoto front stand:

http://www.carpimoto.it/content/prod...and_CM03SM.htm

Name:  Caprimoto Front Stand.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  23.7 KB

Does anyone use any of these stands?

2000 MV F4S
1992 Ducati 888 SP4
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I use a stand from Bike-Lift which looks the same as the Carpimoto one pictured. I posted my breif opinion of it in this post.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Nice write up hartley - honest and impartial. I'm thinking I'll probably go with the "Fugly". It is a bit bulky, but the handle can be removed, so you won't trip over it, and it looks strong and well constructed - a nice compliment to my abba superbike stand. If anyone else is using Anderson Stands I'd be interested to know what their quality is like.

2000 MV F4S
1992 Ducati 888 SP4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode