choice intercom - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

choice intercom

I would buy an intercom be used mainly for playing music (via the mobile phone with Spotify) and the navigation commands (also by mobile phone).
For the moment I use this system (https://pentagon-headsets.co.uk/prod...otorola-radio/) simply consists of speakers that fit into the helmet and connection through the jack to the mobile phone. In addition to the obvious discomfort given by physical connection to the phone I noticed that the volume is low and during running the wind rustling covers the audio emitted from the speakers.
I then I have two questions:
1) Do you say that using an intercom would have the same problem? I don't think so since the intercom are born for this use.
2) Which intercom do you recommend? I have a AGV K5 helmet and then I thought at AGV Side Share Easy (SHARE SYSTEM - Agv) but I would like to have an opinion of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 AM

New Site Garage
Speaker placement relative to your ear is critical for decent audio performance once the road speed, and with it the wind noise, increases.

I have had similar problems with both Autocom hard wired and Sena Bluetooth headsets. Both of these manufacturers have a great reputation for decent design a good audio quality. However, poor speaker placement makes them inaudible above town speed.

Ensuring that your current wired helmet speakers are correctly aligned might be all you need which will save you a bunch of cash.

Firstly you need to ensure that the centre of the speaker is aligned with your ear canal. The ear wells in the lining of your helmet may not correspond with this exactly so, at your own risk, some minor 'surgery' on the soft lining adjacent to this well might be required.

Secondly, and just as important, adjust the proximity of the speaker to your ear. I used fairly dense foam rubber and strong self adhesive Velcro to make a shim for each speaker to go between the rear of each spraker and the helmet lining. A few attempts at this to get the face of the speaker just lightly kissing the outside of each ear.

Time and care doing the above made a night and day difference for me with both the above mentioned systems. All the more noticeable as the speed increases. Previously I couldn't hear a thing above about 50mph, now 80mph, despite some wind noise intrusion (inevitable). This is whilst wearing 37SNR soft ear plugs. I can hear the sat nav instructions and bike to bike sufficiently to understand.

Bear in mind that you'll never get clear HiFi type audio at speed, that's an unrealistic expectation. In ear monitors built into custom moulded ear plugs are available but IMHO are too isolating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 AM

I have a Sena Headset, which works well. I use it on solo trips to play music via bluetooth from my phone (Pandora), when riding with a friend we are connected, making the ride that much more enjoyable.
I have a Shoei helmet which accommodates the all the components, speakers, microphone and communication unit.
I can adjust the volume when listing to music with my phone and the Sena unit, and can adjust the volume when talking to other paired riders with the Sena unit only.
I also am able to connect to a Garmin GPS.
I looked at a Bell Helmet recently and there was no pocket for speakers, which was a deal breaker for me. It pays to do a little research ...........

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Brutale 800 RR
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
The Following User Says Thank You to Allworld For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Inside my AGV K5 helmet there is space to accommodate the speakers (which I have already set using this one https://pentagon-headsets.co.uk/prod...otorola-radio/) and placing them in the direction of the ears (before actually were placed higher up) the perception of sound is higher.
Do you think that the volume of the speakers that emit an intercom are more or less comparable to the ones I am using now (link above)?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld View Post
I have a Sena Headset, which works well.
I have a Sena 10U headset, specifically made to fit the Shoei GT Air that I use, all parts fit neatly within the helmet shell. However, despite just clipping into place within the helmet, speaker alignment was far from optimal. Removed and discarded the speaker carrier frames (they are neatly clipped to the speaker casing, so can revert) and used the foam and Velco method in my post above to change their position. Result was lower volume required and better able to hear audio at speed.

Of course, Shoei are unable to match to every person, ear location must vary quite a bit. Maybe my head is particularly deformed

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I use a Cardo Scala Rider G9 system for our Arai helmets and it works just fine. The key, as has been mentioned, is to ensure the speakers are aligned with your ears. The G9 accomplishes this by using a velcro mount. The speakers fit into the ear recesses moulded into the helmet interior. I rmove the liner at that point and install the speakers in the recess behind the liner.

I also have custom moulded earplugs with piezoelectric speakers built in...just like F1 drivers use...they work well with systems, but I have a tendency to knock them out of my ears while donning my helmet. For that reason they are seldom used.

For those who are concerned about "sound isolation", please do some research. Ear plugs to reduce industrial noise, in the range that damages hearing, are designed to pass though frequencies of normal speech. After wearing ear plugs for 40+ years in industrial and motorcycle applications, I have always heard what is important better while wearing ear protection that removes extraneous noise.

My hearing is also very good (tested annually) for a guy who is 57 and been around steam driven machinery most of his life.

The distraction someone suffers from listening to music or directions or conversation and how that is handled is very personal. I prefer to hear the bike when riding and the stereo when in The Cage.....ride safely!

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM

All in helmet speakers are going to be useless with regard to sound when competing with wind noise on even the quietest of helmets. I used the latest sena headset with its stock speakers which mount in my ARAI Corsair 5 perfectly ( this helmet featured in some photos on the Sena website) I was riding a Honda ST1100 with super tall aftermarket screen. This bike provides so much wind protection I can ride visor open and no glasses without mych issue. Even so, the in helmet speakers were too poor on my opinion for enjoyable music listening.

I tried various cheap to mid range ear buds. These were massive massive improvement and comfortable up to about 3 hours riding. Although I wore them for 10 hours a day at times with some minor discomfort. The ear buds double as ear protection most being as effective as ear plugs for reducing ear damaging noise.

Eventually I took a tip from the aviation industry and bought Bose Quiet Comfort 20 noise cancelling ear buds. Now I am dubious of the value for money of most Bose products, but when it comes to noise cancellation they are the pros. These headphones are absolutely epic for this specifc use, intercom and music while riding a bike. Its eerie how they cancel wind noise and the thrum from the motor and yet you can still safely hear what you need to. The intercom quality is superb, you can now hear intercom easily. Music is superb quality. On the negative they have a powerpack which slipped away into the lining on my arai easily enough, not sure on other helmets. They also have about 10 hour battery life when worked hard, but charge very quick. Price? Worth every penny.

So thats my advice, budget for bose quiet comfort 20 or otherwise some good ear buds and spend the remainder on the actual headset.

Last edited by squibby; 04-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The first test that I will do is to re-use the speakers that I have now ( https://pentagon-headsets.co.uk/prod...otorola-radio/ ) after better to have them placed in the direction of the ears. If it is not enough then I'll think of what to buy although I think at that point the money for an intercom would be a waste of money.
Until a few weeks ago I used regular headphones (those found along with mobile phones) but I found them little practical seen slipping away from the ears every time I put the helmet.

In your opinion, is the volume level of the speakers that I use now ( https://pentagon-headsets.co.uk/prod...otorola-radio/ ) comparable to intercom's speakers? Mostly to see if the volume level to be expected with an intercom is the same that I have now.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:22 PM

They look similar like the Sena packtalk etc intercom speakers, maybe they look a bit better. The intercom speakers with my Sena are just entry level tat like what you get on any ipod etc. almost like expecting you to get better ones.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've tried after fixing, as you've recommended me, the speakers in the direction of the ears, and now I listen to music pretty well so it's time to buy an intercom.
I would like to buy an intercom that allows me to listen well to music, at least as much as the system I use now ( https://pentagon-headsets.co.uk/it/p...-solo-ascolto/ ).
Do you have some model to recommend?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in