F4 tyres: Qual RR or GP Racer? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Cool F4 tyres: Qual RR or GP Racer?

I had Dunlop GP Racers (Soft front, Medium rear) on the 312R and thought they gave less feel, especially up front, than the Supercorsa Pro's on the 1000S. Grip seemed only marginally less, but there was a distinct difference in feel.

The 1078RR has Dunlop Qualifier RR's; does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks!

Nulla tenaci invia est via
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
I feel like i remember a post where the center's where actually ripping off a set of Dunolp's from a newer F4, but i could be thinking of something else.

If they come on the bike, they are bound to be pretty decent tires.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Flying Kiwi in the F4 tyre choice thread:

Quote:
Ran Corsa III on the f4 and love them on the road and at trackdays and will refit same to the 312 when the dunlop gp racer M's it came with are done for. They grip plenty but dont give the feedback and rapid heat up that the Corsa's offer .Found suggested tyre presures for the Corsa's to high for road and now run 33 Front -37 Rear , A twenty minute suspension tuneing session at a trackday with a good Mv mechanic/rider was the best thing I have done for my bike. Once set I have never felt the need to adjust any settings even for road use, The front end feel of the f4 is incredible

Note : Would likely use Corsa pros if I rode trackdays only !
Those were my impression on comparing the SC Pro's and the GP Racers, but it doesn't tell me much about the Qualifier RR's, which from Dunlop's website appear to be a slightly more road oriented sports tyre, whereas the GP Racer is more track oriented, but still (barely I would think) road legal.

Any experiences on the Qualifier RR's still welcome! They get rave reviews in some of the UK mags, but on the Continent the press is less enthusiastic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM

I like the Qualifier RR's, but would not use them on the track. They are street tires. I like them because in the usual riding I do, the harder compound in the center gives me better tire life. These days, it's mostly commuting, so the tires tend to wear in the middle. The softer compound on the sides grips well enough when I ride for fun, but I do not ride at track speeds on the street.

The bike came with GP Racer M's, as I recall, and I liked those too, but was looking for a bit more life, considering my usage. Most of my racing was on Dunlops, so that's where my confidence lies. It might be all in my head, but that's the head I bring with me when I ride.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM

My 312R originaly came with the GP's but then there was a recall and they put the Qualifiers.
I have to say that before i tried the Qualifiers i was not very pleased with the idea, but i was wrong because i'm really pleased with the Qualifiers.
They have great grip and get warm very fast. I'm really well impressed with them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Cool

MV999R (interesting alias Btw...):

Quote:
My 312R originaly came with the GP's but then there was a recall and they put the Qualifiers.
I have to say that before i tried the Qualifiers i was not very pleased with the idea, but i was wrong because i'm really pleased with the Qualifiers.
They have great grip and get warm very fast. I'm really well impressed with them.

Tthat's the (comforting) info I was looking for! Do you happen to know why the GP Racers were recalled?

Lizzardo:
Quote:
I like the Qualifier RR's, but would not use them on the track.
Please explain?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 PM

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post

Lizzardo:

Please explain?
The Qualifier, despite its name, it targeted for street use. According to Dunlop, it is a "High Performance Street" tire.

The harder center compound gives expended tread life for everyday use, which is why I've got them fitted. The softer compound on the sides grips quite well on the street, but I'd be worried about it overheating and getting greasy in real track use, particularly on such a powerful bike. In another thread, someone had just that happen, leading to a crash.

For the track, I'd use a tire designed for the track. The Sportmax GP-A is their "Supersport/Race" tire.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Thnx MV-999R and Lizzardo.

I totalled the 312R with the GP Racers. Lost faith in the front in a not-so-fast lefthander on the track. I didn't think the feedback they gave was so great, and they needed more warming-up time than the SC Pro's.

Lizzardo: are you sure you're not talking about the "normal" Qualifiers? I meant the Qualifier RR's. Look at Dunlop's website.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM

I did look at Dunlop's website. The only mention I saw of the Qualifier RR was as an OEM tire for the 312.

If you look at their regular product listings, they don't show it there:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...egory.asp?id=1

I haven't spoken to a Dunlop rep in a while, but the last time I did, I was asking about tires for the 312. My recollection is that the "OEM" tires are available through the motorcycle dealer, but not directly through Dunlop. The web site also states the RR is only available OEM, so my memory is likely accurate in this case.

The RR was a replacement for the GP Racer M that was originally fitted and later recalled, but is still a high-performance street tire. The DOT race tire is the GP-A.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode