Will this do the job ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Will this Impact wrench remove rear wheel nut ?

After breaking breaker bar number 2 in one month and a fiasco at a track where it took five of us to hold the bike down and we still couldn't undo the rear nut, I've looked into a suggestion from members to get an impact gun.

I have the batteries for this unit already so its seems a very viable option.

Does anyone know if this will do the job. I've looked on youtube and all seems good and maybe a little more than I need, but don't want to shell out if it's no good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-18v...0AAOSwnHZYVBpf

Last edited by TheGodfather; 12-17-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM

New Site Garage
Mate, I'd say that would do the trick.
I do have a question or two though, what have you done to avoid this from happening again ? (Lube, manual recommendations ?)
What's with the totally pointless heading, how will this ever help anybody in a future search ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Mate, I'd say that would do the trick.
I do have a question or two though, what have you done to avoid this from happening again ? (Lube, manual recommendations ?)
What's with the totally pointless heading, how will this ever help anybody in a future search ?

I've not done anything other than do the nut up again,,,know where near 230nm. I set the torque wrench to 190nm.
What do you lube it with and where to apply ?

Just thought as it's in general, those that want to look will.
Plus I always try and keep a title short and sweet.
Now changed.

I best get one of them then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:33 PM

New Site Garage
Smile Did you search ?

There's a lot of help on this forum, you just need to look a bit harder mate, and it's not just you. There's a constant stream of "new" MV owners who seem to think that their bike is the first MV ever, not realising that we share a lot of common issue's and fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodfather View Post
I've not done anything other than do the nut up again,,,know where near 230nm. I set the torque wrench to 190nm.
What do you lube it with and where to apply ?

Better read up some more then.

Just thought as it's in general, those that want to look will.
Plus I always try and keep a title short and sweet.
Now changed.

"Will this undo rear wheel nut" - Would have helped others a lot more in the future when searching for exactly this topic.

I best get one of them then
Well you better budd, the manuals have been available on this forum for years, mostly from my website, but I can share them as indicated in the Maintenance sections as well as the various model sections

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Yeah fair enough,,,,,,,,,I'm a member of several forums and this one like ALL,,, the search function is next to useless unless your extremely lucky to find what your after rather that something in general.

I doubt the answer to that specific tool would be in there

In terms of MV's yes this is my first. I've had bikes for 35 years of many brands and this is the first time I've had this issue and never had to grease or lube a rear nut that I'm taking of several times a year.

In the time you took to reply with your suggestions you could have just give me the answer to the lube. I appreciate you must get frustrated with the same questions, but rather than just piping up to say have a look, you could just choose to ignore it and someone helpful with give the answer.

Thanks I'll now spend an hour looking
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:04 PM
cus

I have that very impact gun and it does it easy but I can also undo my wheel nut myself with a 2 foot bar. Never seize the thread on the nut and leave the mating surface dry on the nut and wheel. Have you had your torque wrench checked cause you shouldn`t need that kind of effort to undo the nut. Watch the trigger on the Makita as its an easy one to hit reverse by accident
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cus For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:34 PM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
In terms of MV's yes this is my first. I've had bikes for 35 years of many brands and this is the first time I've had this issue and never had to grease or lube a rear nut that I'm taking of several times a year.

In the time you took to reply with your suggestions you could have just give me the answer to the lube. I appreciate you must get frustrated with the same questions, but rather than just piping up to say have a look, you could just choose to ignore it and someone helpful with give the answer.

Thanks I'll now spend an hour looking
If I just give everyone the easy answer, then I've taught you nothing, I'm not trying to be rude mate, just pointing you in the right direction.
Have you downloaded the Workshop manuals ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
If I just give everyone the easy answer, then I've taught you nothing, I'm not trying to be rude mate, just pointing you in the right direction.
Have you downloaded the Workshop manuals ?
I know that but when someone just comes in and says have a look,,,,,isn't very helpful either,,,,,when they know the answer.

The more times the answer is given. The easier it will be found when using the search function.
Have you thought of that,,,,,Just saying

Yes I have. I read the wheel removal section and found nothing mentioning greasing when putting back.

I did find a thread where aluminum grease has been used.

I have a tin of copper grease so trust that will suffice.

PS thanks for the manuals, I printed and took certain pages to Spain with me and was invaluable.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
I read the wheel removal section and found nothing mentioning greasing when putting back.
Perhaps you should brush up on your detailed reading skills when doing important work.

Name:  Wheel Nut Reassembly.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  401.4 KB

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hahah another one wants to chime in with words of wisdom.
I'm really sorry I didn't go through every manual in the MV range to find this simple answer, how silly of me!!
I was looking bike specific F3, not an F4 like you've so kindly done.
To save you the trouble its page 119 in the F3 manual and like I said, no mention of greasing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode