Garmin 590 fitted - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Garmin 590 fitted

Fitted the Garmin 590 satnav I'd had fitted to previous bike to the Turismo. Used a short ram mount arm to hold it over the bar clamps. I had these bits lying around for a while and they had seen service on a number of bikes and satnavs over the years hence their time worn look. I looked at the factory option mount but the 590 is bigger than the MV option 390 so would take up too much space above the clocks using the fairing mounts. I've not used it in anger yet and I don't think my position is ideal (feels a little to low / out of eyeline) but as above I think the 590 is too large to go above the clocks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
Fitted the Garmin 590 satnav I'd had fitted to previous bike to the Turismo. Used a short ram mount arm to hold it over the bar clamps. I had these bits lying around for a while and they had seen service on a number of bikes and satnavs over the years hence their time worn look. I looked at the factory option mount but the 590 is bigger than the MV option 390 so would take up too much space above the clocks using the fairing mounts. I've not used it in anger yet and I don't think my position is ideal (feels a little to low / out of eyeline) but as above I think the 590 is too large to go above the clocks.
Looks good! Do you happen to know how I can acquire the fairing mount? Thanks!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turismo View Post
Looks good! Do you happen to know how I can acquire the fairing mount? Thanks!
MV dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
MV dealer?
Unfortunately, they don't carry it in the US because the GPS in the GPS kit only comes equipped with European maps...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

lots of options to mount satnavs out there that dont use the MV factory mount, personally I think the cockpit would be a little crowded with it above the clocks even with a smaller 390garmin, plus from what I've seen it limits access to the screen adjuster. Yes my initial feelings for the location I have mine in may feel a little low (below eyeline) I suspect that I will use the audio prompts more (into helmet headset) and use the display to check details as eyes will be on the road . in fact the only bike I've had that put the sat nav above the clocks was my last one and that had a lots of cockpit space to do so... previous bikes have used that ram mount on the bars so I just need to re-adjust to what I had before the KTM1190.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM

New Site Garage
The mount looks nice. I like the clean look, with out the GPS and rely on the Iphone for directions. The TV is just so good looking the way it is.
I had a a great thumbdial for a Garmin Nav5 from BMW on my GS, and basically stopped using it because of the money to update the maps and most importantly, my Iphone is just as good.

The only time I needed the map was on trips I was unfamiliar with. Siri, will in a two mile advance tell you to exit and seems to work well for me. The phone stays pretty current here in the US where new roads are frequently cut.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM

New Site Garage
Might have to reconfigure the way my mount works as I I have a 590 on the way which I think is a bit bigger than the 660 it replaces. I have similar arrangement to yours except the ball on the bar replaces one of the bar clamp bolts with one of these.

Wondering if using the same position as yours will clear my Givi tank bag and yet still give a clear view of the instruments? Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 09-30-2016 at 11:19 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Chas I think the short ram arm will give more options on the satnav placement than the ball on the bolt, but you seem to have figured that already . I can rotate the clamp around the bar as well as angle the arm up and down. You dont get full 3d movement of the arm due to the way it clamps to the ram balls .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:18 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Chas I think the short ram arm will give more options on the satnav placement than the ball on the bolt, but you seem to have figured that already . I can rotate the clamp around the bar as well as angle the arm up and down. You dont get full 3d movement of the arm due to the way it clamps to the ram balls .
Currently have a set-up with base ball as described in my post above, two of the shortest RAM arms joined by the double ball 'dofrickie' and then onto the base of Zumo 660 mount. Gives great flexibility and allows the 660 to be level with the clocks and offset to the left yet clear the screen and tank-bag. Looks odd but works very well. The 590 being bigger all round isn't going to fit in the same place as it's close as it is with the 660. Will just have to wait and see when it arrives.

Clearance to screen with Zumo 660

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Ah yes the 590 is a fair bit larger in every dimension than the 660. I'd agree that there isnt a lot of real estate around the clocks to house the 590, which is why i suspect MV selected the 390 as its oem satnav.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode