Black flagged @ track - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Black flagged @ track

I was testing out my Sony FDR-X1000VR (awesome camera) last year and I got "black flagged" at the track: Chuckwalla (Near Palm Springs California).

Since I was just "testing" I figured I'd make a few passes w/ my new camera in the "A" class. It turns out that my bike had a "C" class "sicker" on the front and I was running too "fast" for the "A" class; thus, the "black flag".

I missed this years "April" event but, I'm scheduled to go back out Oct "2016".

The mount on the "helmet" serves less than desirable sound: If I "tuck" or "turn my head" to the next corner the sound is horrible (cross wind)?!?

My faring is "blacked out" (so I can see the gauges in bright light): so, a "tank" mound wouldn't help much. Anyone else have any other ides as to how to mount the camera? -Davis
Here is a link to the video: https://youtu.be/A9icmLTqDk8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 AM

New Site Garage
Wow, just wow.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Was going to suggest a chin mount, but decided to actually look up the cam you have first. Obviously that wouldnt be appropriate.

However, as you only have a problem with the sound, it is only the sound source you need to relocate, not the camera. Try attaching a small mic and re-routing it to the inside of you helm (Or at least to a non exposed area).

I have my GoPro chin mounted, but mic is inside my helm. You can check my vids to get an idea of just how much is picked up in this position

Kag

Kag

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:19 PM

I don't think they let you run a helmet mounted cameras at Chuck. there has been cases where people hit the ground with their GoPro and broke their necks. It's bike mounted cams only over there.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Wow, just wow.
Thanks Donsy; coming from you (a very well accomplished rider here on the forum) I find that to be quite an endorsement ! -Davis
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageira View Post
Was going to suggest a chin mount, but decided to actually look up the cam you have first. Obviously that wouldnt be appropriate.

However, as you only have a problem with the sound, it is only the sound source you need to relocate, not the camera. Try attaching a small mic and re-routing it to the inside of you helm (Or at least to a non exposed area).

I have my GoPro chin mounted, but mic is inside my helm. You can check my vids to get an idea of just how much is picked up in this position

Kag
That might be the way to go; I've found "Condenser Mic's" that work w/ the Sony but, the connection is on the bottom of the camera where the mount is and it blocks the plug. Seemed to be another "dead-end" that I did consider?!? -Davis

Last edited by WFOF4Pilot; 08-25-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
I don't think they let you run a helmet mounted cameras at Chuck. there has been cases where people hit the ground with their GoPro and broke their necks. It's bike mounted cams only over there.
I got some Grief for the "Helmet" mounted cam but, I positioned a "safety" wire that connects the cam to the "D" ring on my helmet (the camera can't go "flying" so to speak but, is mounted loosely enough that it won't "bind" w/ the helmet in the event of a crash). So, they "deemed" that to be "track safe". I still have the problem w/ the sound. I'm going to look for a microphone that maybe has some sort of 90 degree connection that won't conflict w/ the external "mic port" & mounting hardware > Wish me some luck here! -Davis
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:14 AM

New Site Garage
Neat video, great picture quality...

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I have used a similar (but much older!) Sony mounted to the mirror stalk on my RC-51, and lately GoPro's mounted externally on the wings of airplanes...Wanting to capture engine sound and not wind noise, I MacGyver'ed a solution with both the Sony and the GoPro's: I experimented by using electrical tape and different densities of foam...Tape the foam over the mic port and go for a test ride...Denser foam or more tape can limit or eliminate wind noise. For lower speed stuff, I let some open-cell foam breath a bit under the pressure of the tape, for the track, denser foam or a tighter tape strap does the trick.

Here is an old track vid of mine using a cowl-mounted GoPro Hero (the original) on the nose of my GSXR 750...It was also an early experimental set-up that I eventually refined, and with newer GoPros the sound only got better. At 45 seconds in I'm on the infield straight at over 100 mph as we go under the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMkUZno4KUM

The guy leading me out of the pits and then leaving me behind in a different zip code is our own G.Rand on his AMA Spec 600. I did get faster, but never fast enough to catch Gregg.

Don't know if you have tried this, but it worked for me.

Good luck!

Griff
twoeleven
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've considered the Mirror stalk mount (and it seems it could be done quite easily) but, am wondering if the wires for the turn indicators wouldn't be a pain in the A$$ to (connect / reconncet) disconnect. However; your thinking gave me a little "food for thought": A mount on the front of the bike beyond the triple (clamps) mount always seems to give too much vibration. Any thoughts on (maybe) mounting the camera where the "bar end" counter weights come out? I could fabricate a "bar end" mount quite easily: Opinion (too much "vibration" there as well) -anyone? -Davis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode