New Bell Star Helmet Review - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
New Bell Star Helmet Review

Decided to give the new Bell Star a try, since Bell helmets were always my choice "back in the day". Fit and finish is excellent. I find it very comfortable, and ventilation is outstanding. Face shield is extremely easy to R&R.
Unfortunately, not too pleased with wind noise , but I have only ridden with all the vents open (see comment above). Maybe it will be quieter with them closed. Wind noise is a bit more then my Arai, but also much cooler then the Arai in the summer heat.
Comes with a very high quality carry bag, spare shield protective sleeve and extra set of cheek pads in firmer foam density (I installed them on mine). Also a breathe air deflector and chin wind screen for cool weather riding).
In summary...I like it, but won't be tossing out my Arai.
Brutale rear seat cowl decal and MVAgusta.net stickers were perfect color matches for the empty space on the back. Photos:
Attached Images

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Wow, that is a nice bag.

Nice helmet too, btw

"i put on a mask, for the masks that i meet"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM

I like Bell's cycling helmets, but their mc helmets have been extremely lacking--this looks more promising.
Price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
I like Bell's cycling helmets, but their motorcycle helmets have been extremely lacking--this looks more promising.
Price?
This is their first attempt to regain their old premium quality position from the 60's and 70's before the company was bought out. You are correct about their motorcycle helmets being lacking for the last 20 years, and the company was evidently aware of that image. They made a big technology push to improve and get back to the premium class. That is why I decided to give the new Star a try.

Not cheap...about the same as an Arai....around $500 msrp.

Oh, and I forgot to mention before, Very Light Weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 09-02-2008 at 07:37 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Very nice. Does the tail fin help with stability at freeway speeds? I wonder if the wind noise you are hearing is turbulence at the tail fin vents
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

The helmet is very stable at speed...at a track day a few weeks ago I saw 152mph, and wind buffet was negligible. I think the wind noise is because I have all the vents wide open, and air really does move through the helmet. As soon as temps drop below the current high 80's and 90's I'll close them up and try.

The lip on the rear is an add on spoiler that comes in the box "to be added for high speed track use to improve stability"...of course I HAD to put it on immediately.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm curious since you're also an Arai wearer which Arai helmet you typically wear? The Profile/Signet are the long oval versions which fit me great, but the Quantum is too round oval for me. I've been looking at the new Bell helmet, too- but not sure if it's a comparable helmet shape to the Signet.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Old Wing Nut

I have a Quantum II...and I have always been very pleased with the fit of the Shoei RF900 and 1000 helmets that I have had.

This was a gamble I had to take when I ordered the Bell, because NO ONE had a new Star in stock to try on. It may not suit you if the Shoei and Quantum Arai don't fit you.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
CHB

The motor-sports division was sold and the company that acquired them years ago didn't keep the image and quality up to standard and lost a huge market share. The BELL company bought the motor-sports division back and are working hard to regain what they lost. It looks like they are on the rite track! Nice lid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode