Opinion: Front & Rear Stand or Spider Stand - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Opinion: Front & Rear Stand or Spider Stand

Wise owls of the forums,

Way back when I last rode spider stands didn't exist, but I noticed when looking for forsale ads that a lot of bikes come with spider stand.

Is a spider stand more versatile than a set of front and rear stands (given the single sided swing arm issue)?

I like working on my own bike (Brutale 750s) as much as possible, don't mind the extra cost of a spider stand (if there's benefit in it).

Thanks in advance.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:02 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I own front,rear and centre lift Australian made Anderson stands.But if I had my time over again I would purchase a Bursig stand.(One stand instead of three).I have seen the cheap Spider stand on Ebay and heard a few reviews about them,all positive but I would never forgive myself if the bike came crashing down all because I did not spend the extra money for quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 AM
cus

I`ve got a spiderstand and use it all the time, the ability to work on both ends of the bike at once and spin the bike in it`s own length is invaluable. I hear what you`re saying Mitchy and agree wholeheartedly, thus far I haven`t had any such issues but if I do you will hear my screams of anguish from up there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:46 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
I`ve got a spiderstand and use it all the time, the ability to work on both ends of the bike at once and spin the bike in it`s own length is invaluable. I hear what you`re saying Mitchy and agree wholeheartedly, thus far I haven`t had any such issues but if I do you will hear my screams of anguish from up there.
Cus,your word is good enough for me.I know you would not use a stand that is unsafe.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 AM
cus

Thanks Mitchy, I don`t claim to be an engineer (just a carpenter) and am only recounting my own experience which has to date been positive with the spiderstand. For others reading this, draw your own conclusions , it`s quite likely that more expensive stands may have smoother actions or better features.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, sounds like centre lift is the way to go, the hard decision is to whether pay and go through the hassle of importing a Bursig.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.RP View Post
Thanks guys, sounds like centre lift is the way to go, the hard decision is to whether pay and go through the hassle of importing a Bursig.
Other than price, what other hassle could there be Paul ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Other than price, what other hassle could there be Paul ?
IMS was the company that imported the stand, appears they don't do Bursig any more, and google reveals some aussies have been buying from USA, REVZILLA is out of stock, so too are some of the others, whilst ones that has them in stock has a freight cost of over $200US.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:00 AM

New Site Garage
Yeah shipping is always dear because it's heavy, I bought mine from Bursig direct although our currency was a bit stronger those days.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 05:20 AM

I have one of the spider stands for my 1090 and its been pretty good. Easy to move around and feels really solid. It is a little tricky to set up if you don't have somewhere really flat to do it.

It is made out of some pretty heavy duty steel and uses a very large bolt to secure the adapter plate to the lift mechanism and it uses a smaller adjusting bolt for altering the angle of the bike. This is what I found a little tricky, as my patio area has a slight slope and you need to set it up just right or you will end up with one wheel on the ground and the other in the air.

Never had any fear of it breaking, although I did have some minor issues with it holding the bike at the correct angle (so that both wheels are in the air). Moving the bike over a paved area probably contributed to this. Anyway, all fixed with a few minutes using my welder, it ain't moving ever! If I ever get another bike it will take 5 minutes with a grinder to make it 'adjustable' again, plus I would need to buy an adapter for another bike anyway.
Probably seems fairly obvious but setting it up and using it on flat concrete would be the best way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode