Alarm for 3 cylinder MVs - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Alarm for 3 cylinder MVs

Has anyone had one of these MV approved alarms fitted. Traditionally I hate the things as they tend to trigger unnecessarily or when you try to fill with fuel. However, garage build isn't until next year so bike will be under a cover locked to ground anchor, surrounded by barbed wire and machine gun nests etc. Insurance are insisting on an alarm though as it's not inside a building.

Tracker was also offered by Ed but insurance didn't insist on that and the two combined wouldn't be good for the battery.

Last two bikes haven't had alarms, previous one did and was hoiked into the back of a van one night and driven of with the the thing screaming to no avail.

The fact that this is a plugin unit should theoretically remove one of the issues of retro fitted alarms where connections might not be all they should be, especially after a few years.

Once garage is built I do have the option to just unplug the thing and let the insurance broker know. It's usually only a 10% discount at best.

Also an advantage on tour when parked in hotel car parks to ward off anyone tempted to tinker with the bike.

I have a few questions for Ed Cosker who'll be fitting it but user experience would help if any of you have one.

1/ Is the sensitivity adjustable?
2/ Is there a ferry mode where you can disable the vibration sensor? Have a 24 hour crossing booked for late June, wouldn't want to arrive in Spain with a flat battery.
3/ What happens when filling with fuel? My 996 riding best friend has to perform all sorts of button presses and beeps etc. when doing this. Don't want to be a comedy double act on tour...
4/ What's the battery drain like (Turismo Veloce, maybe a slightly bigger battery than F3/Brutale/Rivale etc.). Will be on an Optimate at home but overnight and above ferry crossing it will be drawing from the battery.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
FYI.

Took delivery of the bike last Friday with this alarm fitted. Very configurable but all via ignition on/off cycles, there's no transmitter fob (good, no flat button cells at the worst possible time). Arming is automatic shortly after ignition is turned off, disarming is via coded brake lever pulls after ignition on which is easier than it sounds though a little time consuming. More secure than a fob thinking about it, if someone steals your jacket with the keys they still can't ride off. With a fob remote you're making it easy for them.

Ferry mode is possible by cycling the ignition again shortly after turning it off for the first time.

Alarm is sufficiently loud.

Will report back here if there are any issues going forward.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Will report back here if there are any issues going forward.
Alarm has ceased to function, this was only after about 2 weeks after delivery of the bike so not good for a factory approved 400 alarm. Luckily the bike still runs as there is, I presume, no immobiliser built into the alarm itself as the bike has one as standard.

Ed Cosker's tech is going to have a look at it on Tuesday when I take my TV in for it's first service. Will report outcome here.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode