Misc socket questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Misc socket questions

What size sockets do I need to remove the rear wheel nut on the right side? I think I recall seeing someone post that it's 55mm...is this right?

Also what size for the front fork? I have a 24mm socket already but that's a bit too small.

Lastly, does anyone have a suggestion on what to use instead of those rubber "ends" for the side fairings? You know the ones that are up front, like the first 2-3 I think that screw into those black rubber boots that only have a piece of metal at the very back. So naturally when I fit those boots I want to put a bit of pressure to get the screw to contact the metal piece and then of course it comes loose from the frame.

ETA: Sorry I forgot to add that I have the F3

Last edited by Spark; 12-03-2015 at 08:16 PM. Reason: forgot model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
26mm front (R/H thread)and 55mm rear (L/H thread).You can buy a combined wheel nut tool that do front and rear nuts as pictured.

Name:  kombinussvorderachsehin.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  73.6 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 12-03-2015 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:28 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
What size sockets do I need to remove the rear wheel nut on the right side? I think I recall seeing someone post that it's 55mm...is this right?

Also what size for the front fork? I have a 24mm socket already but that's a bit too small.

Lastly, does anyone have a suggestion on what to use instead of those rubber "ends" for the side fairings? You know the ones that are up front, like the first 2-3 I think that screw into those black rubber boots that only have a piece of metal at the very back. So naturally when I fit those boots I want to put a bit of pressure to get the screw to contact the metal piece and then of course it comes loose from the frame.

ETA: Sorry I forgot to add that I have the F3
To answer your second question.If you are talking about the wellnuts (rubber boot with brass insert)you can change them over to Rivnuts,you can buy the rivnut tool with assorted nuts on eBay quite cheap.

Name:  m5%201.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:  banner2.png
Views: 214
Size:  31.9 KB

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
i appreciate the feedback. The Rivnuts sound good, but I have no idea really what I'm looking at. I understand the nuts themselves would sit in place of the OEM wellnuts, but what is the correct threading? Do they come with a rubber piece to prevent scratching the fairing up?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
i appreciate the feedback. The Rivnuts sound good, but I have no idea really what I'm looking at. I understand the nuts themselves would sit in place of the OEM wellnuts, but what is the correct threading? Do they come with a rubber piece to prevent scratching the fairing up?
Bit confused now.You need to post a picture of what you need.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:59 AM

New Site Garage
They have wellnuts which hold parts of their fairings together Mitchy.

Also , the front axle nut is a 28mm as apposed to out 26mm.

http://www.performanceparts.de/en/MV...cc-models.html

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:35 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Oh dear failed again,sorry.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:40 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Oh dear failed again, sorry.
Can we have a drink yet Boss

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well nuts are used where vibration is a concern......and are supposed to be replaced whenever the fastener (screw) is removed, which is sort of overkill most times (although not in an airplane or race machine). Can't use loc-title and must be rechecked for tightness periodically.

Rivnuts, being metal, function in a similar manner (that is, expanded by squeezing to clamp in an open hole) but are permanent. They do not cushion against vibration, and must be drilled out if the clamping force fails preventing proper torque on the fastener.
A special riveting tool must be used, and they come in all the same thread diameter and pitch as the rubber well nuts do.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 12-04-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Silly spell check.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Ok, so the Rivnuts mitchy was talking about certainly seem like a better solution but they don't have any rubber on the side facing the fairing, so there would definitely be increased vibration and also the inside part of the fairing is likely to get damaged from that vibration because the rubber also helps hold it in place. That could potentially lead to damage on the outside over time.

Although I don't like them, would it be best to just stock up on a big bag of the wellnuts next time I visit the dealer?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode