protecting the bike - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

protecting the bike

Hi,

how do you protect your bike against theft? I'm thinking something to track the bike if someone steals it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Established Member

Nothing beats physical chain and lock. For remote trackers, all it takes is to disable the battery to defeat it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
What about one of those new miniature tracking devices you can stick on anything? I've seen them advertised online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Or.....
Attached Images

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 AM

Well.. Mine is in a locked garage and chained to a cement pillar with 2 disc locks (one of em ABUS Granit Detecto X-Plus 8077) and a theft marking with DNA (can be traced around the globe) and to top it of a GSM/Radio tracker hidden on the bike that only runs on a internal battery (3 year capacity)

There has been an increase of bike theft in my home city (Stockholm Sweden) over the last years and I don't want anyone to steal my soul mate but seeing since the guy next to my only has a simple disc lock and its a BWM R nine T 2014 I think they will go for that first since almost none knows what a MV Agust is here in Sweden..

Last edited by Napandee; 05-04-2015 at 04:20 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 PM

I keep my Caucasian Shepard dog chained to it

He's friendly, come pet him
Attached Images

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmhmm View Post
Can I ask what brand is your GSM/Radio tracker?
Sounds like your bike is as safe as it can be
It's a swedish company actually site: http://guardsystems.com/
The GSM tracker I've bought is the spotguard mini. It seems that they work world wide.

First year is about 140Euro for the hardware and 120Euro for the service.
After that its 120euro a year and after 3 years when the tracker needs to change since the internal battery runs out you pay 70euro for a replacement.

MV Agusta Dragster 800 RR -2015
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
Hi,

how do you protect your bike against theft?
None of your effing business.

But if you were actually trying to ask how to protect YOUR bike against theft, I'd be happy to help.

You cannot prevent someone from stealing your motorcycle. The only thing you can do, is to deter it.

Within the full range of deterrents, there is probably a point of diminishing returns for your particular situation.

Disc locks (one on each end) will prevent a roll-away theft.

Securing the motorcycle to a fixed object, will prevent the part of the motorcycle that is secured (and hopefully the entire motorcycle) from being carried away. Cable locks are better than nothing, but something like the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit, is much better. If you don't secure it to something at least as strong as the lock, they'll just attack the item you've secured it to, instead of attacking your lock. Putting a giant chain around a pine 2x4 isn't going to do anything.

Lighting, particularly motion-activated lighting, can help. Motorcycle thieves want to do what they do under the cover of darkness if possible.

Keeping the motorcycle out of sight can help. But keeping the motorcycle visible in high-traffic areas can also help. The worst thing you can do is to leave it visible and accessible, in an area that has very few people around.

Having a dog, one that barks when it needs to bark and doesn't bark when it doesn't need to bark, can also help. It's nice to be able to sleep like a baby, knowing that if someone is attempting to make themselves shootable in your car port in the middle of the night, that the dog will let you know.

But DO NOT confront a motorcycle thief unless you are prepared for every reasonable eventuality, to include them trying to kill you pursuant to their escape.

Tracking devices can help, even if it's just you leaving your I-Phone (with the ringer turned down) in the trunk of your motorcycle at night.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

...and although it should seem painfully obvious, don't keep your angle grinder, your oxy-acetylene cutting rig, your loading ramp, and your pickup (Tommy-Lift equipped or otherwise) outside and accessible.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 AM

Insurance is how I protect my bike. Someone take it and insurance buys me a new one.

Atom
Brutale Dragster RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode