MV Agusta Forum banner

2018 B3 Review

803 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PTsalas 
#1 ·
I have a subscription to Motorcycle Consumer News and they are a no advertising magazine that is generally very honest and tell it like it is, when they write a review.
They did a review of the Brutale 800 RR, the general takeaway is it's overpriced for what you actually get. Namely the suspension, the display. They did have some good things to say, but in general they were not overly impressed.

I can agree that the suspension is not great, the steering damper has no effect no matter what you set it on and the display is less than premium. Still I do love it.

#2 ·
I can agree that the suspension is not great, the steering damper has no effect no matter what you set it on and the display is less than premium. Still I do love it.

So you agree with them then?

And I do too. There is no denying it is a good looking bike but I would want a lot more for 14,000 GBP

#4 ·
The 2018 Brutale list for $18.5K a bit steep, so for that money I would think it should come with Ohlins suspension front and rear.
By comparison the 2018 Triumph Street Triple RS list for $12.5K and comes with Ohlins suspension, a full color TFT display, and Brembo M50 brakes. The Brutale is IMO is a fantastic bike and a blast to ride, but their assessment of the suspension a valid criticism.

#5 ·
Interesting discussion, and it is good to see a valid review. Agree completely on the clock display: needs a total redesign-- it is functional, but archaic given competition. Tiny trip odometer numbers are my biggest niggle.

Suspension to me is very good to excellent, agree on setting for weight. My conjecture: on my Dragster RR-- it helps not to be a heavy or large rider? Really, I find handling great. Wonder what is up with the steering damper...agree it has small affects.

Three things MV could improve: the display, the display setting buttons (quirky and a bit vague), and add an electronic cruise control.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it (to me), yes: mainly for the fantastic engine and over all package, including looks. And, at least locally,
Triumph has abandoned the Houston, TX USA market to one marginal dealer. My MV dealer is superb, and close, and that makes a lot of difference.

We all have our own preferences. Love my 2018 Dragster RR.

#6 ·
I do love my Brutale, and have no plans to get rid of it. Here in New England there is only one dealership and service location.

It's interesting that you mentioned Triumph abandoning the Houston area, from what I have been told Triumph has lost over a 100 dealers nationwide in recent years.

#7 ·
What Suspension settings are you running? On my 18 RR I am on compression fully open and on rebound 1 turn more in than it is in instructions.

#8 ·
Off hand I can't tell you, my complaint was it being to stiff for the poor road conditions in and around my area. It all works, but to get back to my original post. For the cost of this bike Ohlins should be the OEM suspension components.
MV Agusta bills itself as a "super premium" brand. Less than the best, does not support that claim.

Reactions: PTsalas
#9 ·
Agreed, Im not impressed with their current strategy of super exclusive paint jobs for the premium.

The F3 Ago and RC are absolute ripoffs (my opinion) for what you are getting. The only model that was worth the premium in accessories was the F3 Oro as it had forged rims, ohlins suspension and carbon everything making it definitely worth the premium (again my opinion).

My wishlist for all MVs is full LED headlights on the front with an Audi style daytime running light and full colour display at the minimum. The TV has this and I was hoping the other models would receive it.

The specials should have Ohlins suspension and forged rims to justify the premium, not just a paint job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.