MV Agusta Forum banner

New Brutale won't shift from 1st gear

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Debrun 
#1 ·
Received my new Brutale 750 only a week ago and today went for a ride today of about 150 kms.
No problems until after pulling out for the petrol station at the end of the ride, the bike would not change from 1st gear to 2nd gear. The gear shift level would not move as I rolled off the throttle and pulled in the clutch.
Lucky i was only 5 kms from home. Rode home in first gear.
then went for a short ride around the block...managed to eventually get a change into 2nd but then it would not change into third.
Down changes were no problem.
The bike is now sitting in my garage and Im at work.
Even with the engine off it will still not change into 2nd from 1st.
I also seen maybe 8 or so drops of green ???oil on the garage floor that was not there before.
Can anyone help with some ideas of what is going on???
The bike has 600kms on it and is 1 week old. it is covered by warranty. I did not exceed the recommended 5500-6000kms for the first 500kms.
Thanks in advance
Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
The green spots could be coolant from over filling the system. Very common, but I think the factory AGIP is blue, not green.

If it is still under warranty, of course, bring it back to the dealer. It could be something as simple as air in the clutch line. Bleed that first, and if it doesn't help bring it back.

CAG

#4 ·
The green spots could be coolant from over filling the system. Very common, but I think the factory AGIP is blue, not green.

If it is still under warranty, of course, bring it back to the dealer. It could be something as simple as air in the clutch line. Bleed that first, and if it doesn't help bring it back.

CAG
He should be able to shift when the enging is off....

Maybe rocking the bike back and forth while trying to shift up.

I once had a clutch basket lock up because a clutch disk shattered.

Yeah - back to the dealer if you can't free it up. :cry:

#3 ·
Last year my Brutale would give me a hard time going from 1st to 2nd but no problem from 2nd to all the rest. I was several miles from home and just did not drop down to first. That required starting off in 2nd from a stop. When I got home the problem had gone and not come back. I would like to know what did that at 11,000 miles.

#5 ·
Update on stuck lever

The next morning when I checked the bike the lever was free and able to be moved.
The green oil was leaking from one of the two black drainage hoses that exit the bike on the left side near the sidestand. Still not exactly sure where the are coming from but it is definately oil.
The gear lever has stuck in first a couple more times, but i have managed to free it with a bit more pressure from the left foot, or trying the change in a higher rev range.
Mechanic suggested should improve with new oil (Motul 5100) and more kilometres.
:):):)

#7 ·
My 750 did the same thing. It wouldn't move from second from first for anything. I bled the clutch and checked EVERYTHING on the bike. My last resort was the clutch, so I replaced it and she shifted like brand new. Thats where I'd go if I were you. Mine had about 10,000 miles on it. The plates are not overly expensive or difficult to replace. Good luck

#8 ·
I had a very similar problem shortly after I got my bike and my initial reaction was Oh noes - my gearbox... It turned out to be the bearing in the shifter rod assembly had a flat spot and worked itself into a position that locked into the bearing casing thus seizing the shifter. These other folks have a lot more MV knowledge than me but I thought I'd mention this on the off chance. If it turned out to be your problem it's a very easy fix. The part was cheap and takes 5 minutes to replace.

Besides the bearing problem - a poorly adjusted or loose shifter assembly's can also get symptoms similar to yours and can even lock up. Before you go looking inside the engine make sure your issue isn't here first. It's not an uncommon problem for any bike to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.