MV Agusta Forum banner

Trepistoni - MWR filter that good?

15K views 45 replies 7 participants last post by  jhollis 
#1 ·
Came over this video by chance.

They took a Dragster 800 RR, modified it and checked it on the dyno.

OEM was 128 hp

With a new header (I do not see a cat) and a open HP Corse exhaust they achieved 134 hp

After putting in a plate type MWR Filter from a F3 they came to 138 hp.

Last but not least they removed the rubber sealing together with the OEM filter and installed a MWR Filter with new mounts.
146,8 hp!!!!

This is what it looks like:

I think the difference does not make the filter but the by far larger intake of the airbox.

Anybody using already this air filter kit?

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
The important thing to note is that they also tuned the ECU to take care of the fueling changes that occur when this much work is done to the bike.

In essence, what you have seen on this video, is a custom intake that is much more free flowing feeding air into a tuned ECU blasting power out a free flowing exhaust.

This is not simply plug-and-play.

Reactions: dansoarr
#3 ·
I know - I speak some Italian ;) .

And I did the same to my 1090RR Brutale with modifying the airbox and installing Arrow header plus mapping it.
Had 180 hp in my old Brutale - unfortunately I lost her on the track :frown2:.

But it is remarkable how much the MWR outperforms other intake systems.
I'll get it and see how it works.

#4 ·
It's good to know you see that. There are those who think you can bolt on an air filter and exhaust and pick up 12-14% horsepower. Nonsense.

#5 ·
I will spend my summer holidays at Lake Garda in Italy. 2 weeks of riding in the Alps :yo:.

It is not far from Grimoto in Milan - may be I will see them in person.

#7 ·
Looking forward to the ride report....

#9 ·
Did the first 250 km with the MWR Filters.

Engine runs as it did before, no stalling, hesitating or anything like this that could indicate lean fueling.
Cannot tell a difference in power as I installed them just after breaking in the engine.

Of course the sound of the airbox is even more aggressive - I love it >:).
When i get on the throttle or downshift by Blipper in front of a crowd - they will turn their heads :laugh:.
Will test it in the Italian Alps both next weeks and come back to it here again.

#10 ·
Did the first 250 km with the MWR Filters.

Engine runs as it did before, no stalling, hesitating or anything like this that could indicate lean fueling.
Cannot tell a difference in power as I installed them just after breaking in the engine.

Of course the sound of the airbox is even more aggressive - I love it
When i get on the throttle or downshift by Blipper in front of a crowd - they will turn their heads
Will test it in the Italian Alps both next weeks and come back to it here again.
Sorry for the late reply with this, but I'm thinking about getting the Mwr setup. Can I confirm that the kit that you bought is the mc-060-12 https://evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/air-filters/f3/mwr/mc-060-12.html.

Second, how difficult is it to install? I'm getting my Stradale remapped in a couple of weeks and thinking about getting this beforehand.

Did you get much gain from this kit?

Thanks,
Nick

#11 ·
Order number is MC-60-12 - just make sure you don't the one with "R" at the order #. This is for race only.

You need to take the tank off and disassemble the airbox, it is just a few screws.

I did not put my bike on the dyno yet so I cannot tell about gains.

Just watch the video on top of this thread with subtitles on (english) and you will know what their gains were

#13 ·
I do not know how is the tank assembly of a Rivale, sorry.

On my Brutale it took me less than an hour. The only tricky thing is the tank hose fitting.

MWR recommends cleaning the filter once a year. But you have access to it from outside, just get the radiator fairings off. No need to remove the tank for cleaning.

#14 ·
ok great, I was concerned you'd have to remove the tank each time.

Btw, on the mwr site it also mentions a mc-065-12 'power up' kit:

https://www.racingairfilters.eu/data/media/MC-065-12 07 - kopie.JPG

I presume you didn't buy this part? It apparently opens up the surface area of the airbox inlet, flowing more air I presume. For an extra £50 I think it's probably worth getting for optimum gains.

#16 ·
Curious what that somewhat oddly shaped (air runner?) velocity stack actually does to the MV triple performance in use.

Forward/Reparto Corse reportedly uses three of the longer OEM stacks inside the MV F3 WSS airbox.

Rule of thumb is shorter stacks are supposed to move the peak power upward, and longer stacks to move the peak lower in the rev range but the actual lengths generally require calculation to determine what length should be used and then testing & tuning to verify if the best compromise is reached.

Is the dyno chart from your triple?

#17 ·
Having spoken with a well known MV F3 tuner in the UK, I’ve decided, on their recommendation, to go with the mwr mc-061-12HE https://www.racingairfilters.eu/data/media/MC-061-12HE - kopie - kopie.JPG.

According to them this filter, along with the spring kit, larger intake openings and a longer middle velocity stack gives the best performance - better than the dual filter kit. It’s more expensive as a whole, but worth doing apparently. Should work well in conjunction with the remap.

Their F3 is running 147BHP with this setup; obviously I’m not expecting this with the lower power Stradale engine, but will hopefully still get some good gains!

#21 ·
When you use the longer intake stack on the inner cylinder, will you have to map it seperately (adjust ignition and fuelling)?

#25 ·
Just going through the process of installing the MWR filter, spring kit and power up kit.

Anybody think the power up kit is a rather expensive way of just making the existing airbox intake opening look nice now that the smaller funnels have been removed?

I can't see what purpose the CNC plates serve as the opening is the same size anyway.

Thoughts? Do they help to flow more air??

Going to have to be careful when washing the bike now so I don't fire water into the airbox!

Attachments

#35 ·
The F3 and 800RR share the same trumpets, standard 800 are different.

I wonder how MWR has gained 5 hp on a non RR model with their shorter velocity stacks :surprise:.

I also so not see a purpose of the plates they put on the opening of the airbox.

#36 ·
I'm starting to think that you might be right about the stack length... I will clarify with Speedycom tomorrow.

I'm not sure I should even ride it now as I'm worried about what affect shortening the stack by that much will have.

I feel like this while procedure has been a can of worms now! ?

#38 ·
Thanks for clarifying, that could be a sensible option. Remap isn't until the 7th so I still have time to sort it.

Considering I'm going to have to spend another 4 hours (slow, I know!) to undo all that work, I'm hoping they might throw in the stacks gratis! One can only hope...

I will keep the thread updated.

#39 ·
Did you put on Loctite on the screws of the MWR filter?
I would not like to see what happens to one of them in the cylinder:surprise:

#41 ·
Did you put on Loctite on the screws of the MWR filter?
I would not like to see what happens to one of them in the cylinder
I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the bolts came out the packet with blue locking already on them, as per the photo attached.

At least I hope ?

Attachments

#44 ·
Changed my configuration to dudman's suggestion. Thanks:smile2:!!!!

Before:

After:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.