Where is there to ride curvy, hilly roads in Phoenix area? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Where is there to ride curvy, hilly roads in Phoenix area?

I live in Oregon where there is a huge number of great riding roads,but for the next few days I have my Brutale 910R in Chandler, AZ. I plan on riding to Sonama, CA for the Superbike races the weekend of 19th-21st.

I was thinking of going to Flagstaff and then cutting across to Kingman, Needles, Barstow, to Lancaster, over Frazer Park to Santa Maria and then up the coast to Hwy 1 and then all the way Hwy 1 (Big sur) to the Golden Gate Bridge in SF and then across to Napa area.

Any suggestions for a better more curvy, mountainous ride with about the same number of miles. The less brown desert the better; that's something I just don't do well with and want to get to green areas asfast as possible. I know I'll have to suffer through a fair about of brown dirt but those of you that ride these areas I appriciate any suggestions.

Regardless my route I hope to get some pics to post of my 1000 mile journey over three days. Has to be great and beautiful as I'm on a beautiful 910R.

More to follow.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM

I lived in Tucson for some time. Mt lemmon is a great road or you can head east and go through the white mountains. there is a great road from Tucson that goes down to Tombstone and then through Patagonia. I dont know of any good roads right there in the Phoenix area. On the weekends you can find lots of bikes and cars at the pavillions up in scottsdale area. All sorts of bikes, Japanese, Bimotas, MVs, Ducatis, and even saw a Y2K there. But then again all that takes you away from where your heading....
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
The 4 closest places I can think of is:

1) Tortilla Flats (US60 East) - best ride in the immediate area.

http://www.tortillaflataz.com/apachetrail/index.html

2) South Mountain (south of Downtown Phoenix) a bit bumpy

3) Galvin Parkway (by south Scottsdale) very short ride (like a mile)

4) 202 to 10 Clover-leaf (by the airport)

So, yeah, there really aren't that many options in Phoenix. It's a valley so you need to get out abit farther (like an hour).

Actually, there are several good roads adjacent to the Metro area. South Mt. is actually very very smooth, having been completely repaved a couple years ago.
Visit Canyon Lake, Bartlet Lake, esp. lakeview rd. just after the park entrance for track-like conditions in a 5 mile out n back.
For your trip, take US89-A as much as possible, and for sure hit Yarnell pass and White Spar toward Jerome, and Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to Flagstaff, then take the 89-a al the way past the north ri of the grand canyon.
AZ is actually great for bikes, just don't expect a lot of shade in the lower part of the state.

While you're here, PM me if you want need a guide, my shcedule is very free at the moment, just plan on riding in the early AM, as it is already triple digits here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode