In memory of Chris McCauley - Nevermore's ride - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
In memory of Chris McCauley - Nevermore's ride

I think we owe Odonata a big thanks for getting things rolling...We raised over $1,200 today for the McCauley Family Trust...THANKS BEN! And thanks to everyone else for their generosity, and the time we shared today.

This is going to be a long read, but the pictures will keep you going, grab a coldy...

I awoke early and prepped ol' #211 for a big day. It was overcast and cool, but the bike was looking ready for an adventure, new RG3's and all...

I set course for Diamond Bar, 35 miles to the northwest, to meet my non-MV friends, Steve and John, who were excited for a trip to the Rockstore. I flew up the 15 north, to the 91 west, to the 71 north, to the 60 west, and exited Grand Ave., proceeding to the Burger King for the meet-up with Steve and John at 7:45am. John's BMW and Steve's FZ1 were parked looking right at me as I pulled in. I parked and met them inside for a cup of Joe...

We garbed up, checked the horses, and hit the road onto the 60 west, then merged with the 10 west, with the PCH parking lot in our sights, some 40 or so miles to the west...

We arrived at about 8:30am at the parking lot on PCH, and Steve was anxious for me to test his highly-tuned FZ1. This is a sweet machine, piped, chipped, lowered, and with a VERY comfy riding position. I did a hotlap around Santa Monica and verified for him that there is ample power to loft the front wheel under throttle only (there is!), something he was curious about, but not yet willing to try! It is a nicely assembled machine!

As we searched for someplace with hot coffee, I saw a Dark F4 turning into the lot...It was Mat Black on his beautiful stealthy machine...

We did the introductions, and talked of things two-wheeled, and waited for the boys to start rolling in...Mika rolled in next, his magnesium machine glowing gold in the flat, grey light.

Next in was GRand, his Senna looking proud and ready for the ride ahead.

Just behing GRand, Odonata himself made the show, his day off had been approved...

We all introduced ourselves to each, and the lot was starting to look distinctly like an MV showroom!

The morning silence was broken by the sound of Altoon skidding to a stop, he always makes such an arrival, Haz-Mat suit as always...

After we were convinced that we were the PCH group, we headed north towards the Coffee Bean, as I gave Altoon a wheelie lesson or two (Hey, I've got a little extra power on my side!). The ride up PCH was paced and pleasant, the sun just beginning to burn away the ubiquitous marine layer. We arrived at the CB in Malibu, and were met by a gaggle of three, then four, LA County motor Sheriffs. Each had some kind of sticker on their motor, Dianese, Ducati Corse, etc., so we had to chat them up...Ducati owners, it turns out..All of them!

We hung out and talked with the officers, who really enjoyed the MV's. We met a couple of locals, relaxed a bit, and decided that nobody was going to be joining us here...So, we suited up, chose Encinal Canyon as our preferred route, and headed north on PCH once again. The ride up PCH was beautiful, the sun was out, traffic was moderate, and the group wound its way up through Malibu to the 76 station just shy of Latigo Canyon to top-off some of the machines. We made it a quick stop, and headed out towards Zuma Beach, the clear ocean air keeping the machines under temp as the road wound its way up the Pacific Coast...It was gorgeous out.

I banked right onto Encinal, and verified that the group had all made the turn before upping the pace a bit. There were many bicycles working the other side of the road, so the pace was metered, but Altoon found me soon enough, and the two of us streched it out a bit, me following him, watching his lines, and chasing him through Encinal's sweeping curves.

We waited for the last of us at the top, before turning right for Mulhullond Highway, which leads down the mountainous pass to the legendary Rock Store.

It was a challenging descent with many tight turns and plenty of gravel on the road to keep us focused. We wound our way to lower elevations, and arrived at our destination, where some 60-70 bikes were already parked. We met several others there, I can't remember everyone's name (SORRY!), but CD3K, LBonanMV, and Latigo were amongst the crew. We also invited a new Brutale owner to join us for breakfast, and invited him to join us here at mvagusta.net, as well.

We sat for breakfast and shared stories, planned the different routes out of the mountains, and arranged who would ride out with whom, and which way to go...I collected checks for the Trust from those that brought checks, and the others had donated privately. We took a group photo, suited up, and went our different ways. Can you name everyone? Anyone? Give it a try!

Hey, I just realized that John and Steve ducked this picture!!! That means there were at least twelve of us, all in...

I led John and Steve down Mulhullond, and banked right onto Malibu Canyon Road, and back down to PCH. Traffic was a bit more thick, and we carefully weaved our way down to the 10 and headed east, to the 405 south, to the 105 east, to the 605 south, to the 91 east. I dropped them off at the 57 fwy., where they turned north to head back to their homes, as I continued out the 91 east, back to the 15 south, and back to my neighborhood where I stopped for a Jamba Juice...

It was an incredible day, a fabulous ride, and I met even more new friends from this site. I am so impressed with quality of characters that hang out here, it was an honor to be amongst such great folks.

I grabbed a cold Sam Adams at home, and added up the checks to write this thread...Remember, some people donated outside of this ride, yet I have over $1200 worth of checks to send to the McCauley Family Trust on Monday!!!

What a way to honor a fallen friend, by spending quality time with amazing people...And giving a bit to help out his family.

Chris McCauley would have been proud of us today, we did a good thing.

Thanks to everyone, and again to Ben for getting this thing off of the ground. What an amazing ride it was...

Many more pictures in full resolution are located here...

http://gallery.mvagusta.net/twoeleve...ride512?page=1

Enjoy, and PEACE!

Griff
twoeleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:28 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Thanks for the post, it was a great day to ride with you all, I really enjoyed it.

As we were riding, I thought of Chris and I am sure he was watching over us.

RIP Chris.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Great ride. Felt good to be there, but we were one short.

Chris - I'll always miss you, my Laguna Seca riding buddy.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Job well done, Gents!!!

"Every mistake is a learning opportunity"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
God bless you guys (and gal) for having this memorial ride
i hope that Chris was looking down today and smiling... realizing how much he touched the lives of so many others

i pray for his family every day
may they CONTINUE to find the strength every day of their lives

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
anothermvfanatic
ahhh thats beautiful
compliments guys on organising such a honourable day
i would of loved to be there
bless you guys
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
It is great that so much was able to be raised! Thanks for the writeup
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 PM

You know what? I should have thought of it earlier, but this would have been a good thing to send to Roadracing World maybe a week in advance or so. Then the guys who raced with him could have joined in. Although, it was kind of cool as a majority MV ride too.

I wasn't there, but here are my highlights of what I read and see:

o No regular ol' 750s in sight. These are all big time bikes! Brutale Oro? Holy cow. Not to mention, Tamburini, Senna, black 1000, and other 1000.

o Altoon's boots.

o I didn't really like the new FZ1 until now.

o Cops with a sense of humor? Or something...

o twoeleven's awesome pictures as always.

Nice one. I wish I could do a ride like that. I could arrange an MV ride in Tucson, and I would show up. Maybe sgcullen. I guess Peter Fonda might come if he knew about it. That's probably about it.

'01 F4S
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks, Griff, for the excellent ride report (as usual), and Ben for taking the time and initiative to organize the event. It was an excellent day and an honor to participate in this particular ride in memory of Chris.
I spent yesterday at Willow Springs, riding Streets of Willow. I thought of Chris often throughout the day and said a prayer for him and his family. I will always think of him whenever I ride Willow.
We are so lucky that we have such an amazing collection of MV members from this board. Thanks to each and every one of you today that rode in honor of Chris. I am quite sure that he is smiling from above .......
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks Ben for organizing and Griff for the pics and write-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode