Warning: Saturday Malibu Riders - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Warning: Saturday Malibu Riders

I just got back from an attempt to go 10W to PCH, PCH to Kanan Dume, KD to 1000 Oaks. What a mess.

As I travelled the 10E and approached the 405, the overhead warning sign stated "accident at Temescal Canyon, PCH Closed". I thought, "yeah, right" and kept on, determined not to let a little accident ruin my ride plans.

As I approached the tunnel transition from the 10 to PCH, traffic stopped. Lane margins are little, and I began splitting lanes cautiously to move on. By the time I had reached the tunnel, the bike temperature began to climb .... 224, 230, 234... and I began to panic. There is so little room to maneuver between cars, many times I couldnt move at all, and I thought "this is it. I'm gonna get stuck overheated in the tunnel!". Luckily, traffic moved just enough for me to squeak thru and cool the engine a bit splitting lanes.
Then traffic stopped moving again, trapping me with no exit.
When you are in a state of panic, it is a very long distance from that tunnel to the first light on PCH.
It was at that light that I could see forward down PCH .... there was no end to it ... traffic backed up, not moving. Period.

There, on the middle road lane, was a lighted roadworker's sign, stating "Road Construction in progress".

When I got to the light I quickly hung an illegal right hand turn up the PCH entry ramp (California Ave?) to escape and find another route.

Point of my story: if the primary traffic problem was due to construction and that construction is still in progress on Saturday, it will be a MESS to get to Malibu via that route. Is there any way one can find out traffic status of PCH before the ride Saturday?

Last edited by GRand; 03-22-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 05:25 PM

New Site Garage
Hmmm, maybe http://traffic.tann.net/, but I'm not sure they cover pch?

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Established Member

This is based solely on past experience, that was my disclaimer, but at 0930-1000 on Saturday there usually isn't that much traffic and you should be okay. If it backs up its for maybe a mile or so at about 25-35 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Generally, traffic on that route on Thursday at 12 noon isn't supposed to be bad, either. If the condition is the same on Saturday as it was today, there will be overheated bikes for sure. It will also be tough to access the parking lot to meet each other.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Established Member

Strange, I drive that way every day and the only real problem is where the tunnel meets PCH. I generally just split lanes until it clears about a mile up and everything's okay. One way to get around it is to ride through Santa Monica on Ocean. If you follow Ocean all the way, you make a couple of turns and you end up on Chattaqua which bypasses most of the mess. Saturdays don't usuallly get bad till late Spring and Summer.

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. -- Jack Handey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F41000S/Honda CBR600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode