Cars and Coffee 3-10-2007 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Cars and Coffee 3-10-2007

I am planning on taking the camera and Tamburini to Cars and Coffee in Irvine tomorrow morning (it is on isn't it?)...Pending decent skies and temps. I will get there by 7am, shoot for a bit, then depart by 830am for Tom's Farms in Lake Elsinore via the Ortega Highway...If anyone is in the area and wants to drop by for coffee and/or a nice ride, see you there...Otherwise, I'll post anything interesting I see in my album later.

Peace.

Griff
twoeleven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up

OOOOOOO... Take pictures , I love seeing your 211 pics Have fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
A day in the life...C&C, Ortega, and Tom's Farms

Those of you who do not enjoy my long windedness may jump right to some nice cars and bikes right here...

Cars and Coffee 3-10-2007

There was a few more bikes there today...and some VERY nice Supercars...

I guess my day began last night, pre-flighting the Tambo, adding air and waxing away as I watched the Daytona Supercross in the garage. This is a relevant point, as you shall soon see, as I put a fair amount of effort into cleaning up ol' 211 for her date this morning...Got all the nooks and crannys clean!

As I usually do, I awoke very early, walked Leo, and hit the hot tub, excited for the ride that lay ahead. I suited up, packed up the camera, and hit the road, the sky was blue, and the sun was JUST peeking up over the horizon. As I was coming down the hill going maybe 45mph, I came up on a new VW Bug...I slowed, didn't crowd, and fell into formation behind at about 40mph...That's when she hit me, full force, both barrels...YUP, she was cleaning her windshield, dowsing me and my fresh wax job with suds...AAAAARGH! Okay, maybe the one-handed-flip-her-off-as-I-wheelied-past-on-the-onramp was a BIT of an over reaction, but I felt better...

The freeway was deserted, and I let 211 breathe a bit...GROWL! I hit the long curving elevated transition to the 91 West, headed for the 241 Toll Road, my shortcut superspeedway to Irvine, where the Cars & Coffee awaited...5 lanes, no cars...Hmmmm.

The 241 takes a pretty dramatic rise, almost straight up-and-over the northern edge of the Ortega mountains, and I could see what lie ahead...A cloud was PARKED at the top of this pass...Traffic was light, 4 lanes to choose from, but it went from crystal clear to 45 foot visibility...to 30, to 20, until I could barely see...I freaked out a bit, I couldn't see anything in front, or in the mirrors (no, it was EXTRA bad!), I wasn't sure what to do. In an instant, my visor was soaked, I flipped it up, which instantly fogged my clear safety glasses I wear...I tore those off, and threw them towards the ditch, as piercing little cold peppers of water stung my eyes that were tearing from the cold air and water...I debated pulling over, speeding up, slowing down...Wasn't really sure what the correct course of action was, I was only sure that my clean wax job with windshield cleaner highlights was now completely wasted, that was the REAL travesty. I decided to maintain pace, it had to clear up soon, right? I focused out ahead looking for trouble, and FINALLY found some taillights I could follow to the other side where we went back under the layers. It was the thickest, wettest fog I have ever ridden through...Wow....AND I'm gonna need a new pair of safety glasses, note to self...

I arrived at C&C, did my deal...Pic thread above. Lots more bikes today, and plenty of Italian Ice. Some guy who was talking to me about the Tambo suddenly grabbed the very end of my CF hugger and starting shaking it up and down, quite vigorously, so I killed him. What an idiot.

I took off South for Ortega, with some trepidation, Alvin had reminded me that Ortega was under construction...No big deal, I had just survived the Acid Death Fog of 2007, what MORE could possibly happen???

The "Flats" that lead east away from the 5 fwy were beautiful, deserted and clear, winding through the trees. This is a notorious 'No Speed Zone', so I played it relatively cool, but the bike wanted to run a bit, so I sped along with metered vigor. I knew the construction was near the county line, so I began to back off just a bit as I neared...I had a vision of coming around a blind corner and slamming into a line of stopped cars waiting to go through a one-lane construction section. I rounded a few more corners and found myself suddenly on top of a line of stopped cars waiting to go through a one-lane construction section! Thank GOD I am Psychic. I stopped quickly, and decided to move to the side, just in case the NEXT guy wasn't psychic, and was possibly driving a Suburban, or something. After 20 minutes of cooking my legs, inching along at 220 degrees, I finally got to cruise through the dirt! YUP, off road on a Tamburini...The asphalt has been removed for about 100 feet, so I did some donuts and looked for the whoops...There were none. After clearing the construction, I began the painful process of picking off every one of the 15 cars in front of me...This process is best left undiscussed, suffice it to say that...Well, lets not discuss it.

I cleared the last moving roadblock near the Candy Store, just before my favorite stretch on the way up, the Carousels...It was awesome, all my pain and patience and loose interpretations of the local lane splitting laws paid off, and I worked off a few more of those little Michelin men that stand in the last 1/16th inch of your chicken strips...Bye-bye Bibendum!!!

I cruised past The Cliff House without stopping, and enjoyed the open road down the Elsinore side...I picked up the 15N and headed for Tom's Farms. Tom's is the best place for breakfast, a favorite of the shiny-anchor crowd...But the Corona Fire Department has thrown down the gauntlet...All of the prime curb space surrounding the hamburger stand has been red-striped as a fire lane, NO PARKING...This is going to kill the mood, as bikes were forced to go find a car space out in the general lot...It was funny to see a bunch of Harley guys standing around wothout any bikes near them!!! It turns out, it is a much stranger scene to see all of them in their Harley Halloween costumes, smoking and joking, with their precious chrome parked way out in the yard somewhere! I giggled inside at the humor of it all.

Grabbed my Ham and Eggs, chowed down, and came home to 5.5 hours of DVR'd motorcycle racing.

Sorry you guys all missed it, it was quite the adventure...

Griff
twoeleven

Last edited by twoeleven; 03-11-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Wow, why couldn't my mid-term reading test be this exhilarating to read. Nice write up; I especially liked the: Some guy who was talking to me about the Tambo suddenly grabbed the very end of my CF hugger and starting shaking it up and down, quite vigorously, so I killed him. What an idiot. People are idiots. I remember the first time I saw a Tamburini on road (I think I have seen four in total that were in a showroom, but not a single on actually driving by). It was entering the Thursday night Fuddruckers show, when I was leaving, so I turned around and followed it. First of all, the sucker who was on it couldn't invest a couple hundred bucks to get a helmet, but I overlooked that stupidity, and went to talk to him. Someone must have forgotten to tell this guy that this bike was special. The first rule of owning a limited edition bike is to memorize the number. This guy was clueless, it took him about half an hour to find out what number I was asking him about. I admired it, mentally undress it (Fairings and all ) and while I was looking at it, this guy who rides a Harley tries to tell me that it costs 60K, and that I should keep away from it. Not wanting to impress him, or show him how stupid he was, I decided not to repeat the MV Agusta F4 Tamburini Spec sheet to him (Which at the time I knew by memory)... What a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode