I know it's not my Brute, but...... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I know it's not my Brute, but......

I do have a Brute, you guys are people I would have shared this with if it WAS my Brute, so why not share anyway. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but again, this (brutale forum) is where I would normally post so........
My GF (and future wife) and I took a couple of weeks and rode from Miami to WV. We went thru Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland (sounds like a Johnny Cash song huh?). Overall we rode a little over 2,000 miles, ONE way!!! And YES, I know I am very lucky to someone that A.) Rides a motorcycle and B.) is actually willing to and enjoys riding long distances.
The way back was via the Amtrak AutoTrain from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, FL (for the geographically challenged, that's D.C. to Orlando). We rode back home from there......about 250 miles or so I guess.
The pictures of the lake-house are in Robbinsville, NC where the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon both are. Oh and you'll notice that my bike was white (literally) at the end of the trip. We painted it when we were in WV where my GF's friend owns a shop. He helped us do that and some other things on both bikes. Not every day you get a $30 paint job (price of the paint). I was also able to get my seat reupholstered to white also (with red stitching). Much better!!
About the AutoTrain......it was a great experience. Some of the passengers were idiots, but the people that worked on the train couldn't have been nicer. We figure next time we'll take the round trip so I can take the Brutale. I know now that they take very good care of the bikes. You are the one that drives it up onto the "dock" and into a wheel chock, then they (double) strap it down for you. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Anyway, that's it for now.....can't wait for the next trip!!!

Last years trip we saw so many post offices that we figured we'd try and take a picture whenever we saw one...

Waiting for the train to pass:

Ha, yeah right the road is closed (this actually posed a huge problem because getting around this wasn't very easy (see next pic)

My bike was the guinea pig....The result:

The view from the cabin we rented a few miles out from the Tail of the dragon (deals gap):

Me and my GF on the dragon:

View from overlook:

On the way back to the cabin:

The cabin:

Cherohala Skyway:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GP1152; 07-03-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Note the plastic bags under my feet. It was hot, I wanted the boots off, I didn't want my feet in the boots AFTER being on the ground just outside the convenience store.

I helped sand the panels but other than that, loosening and tightening a few bolts is about all I was good for. Well, I tried to make up for it by sweeping the floors at least.

DONE!!!

This will give you an idea of the loading process. Again, the guys knew what they were doing and they are the ones that do this every day. One guy has been doing it for 4 years he said (he also rides).

Here you can see the wheel chocks. They only load 2 bikes per each one of these carts. The chock in the center is for a trike.

The room/sleeper on the train

This Mi-Fi thing rocks. We had internet the entire way thru ad were able to watch TV shows along the way. Nice!!!!

Back home, time for a wash and some pictures of the finished product:

Last edited by GP1152; 07-03-2010 at 01:29 AM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 AM

Awesome pics! And looks like you and the gf had an equally awesome time as well. You're really lucky your future misses enjoys riding with you everywhere! (though some may not see that as a perk . Jk

Is that an iPad I see on the train bed?

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 04:00 AM

Awesome pics mate , looks like some nice country over there, I like the post office theme !!
Would love to ride in the US one day!!
Still trying to cover all of Australia i'm about a 1/3 of the way there.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Really nice ! Sounds like You are a very lucky chosen one. Thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Right on!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeduc2 View Post
You're really lucky your future misses enjoys riding with you everywhere! (though some may not see that as a perk . Jk

Is that an iPad I see on the train bed?

Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Thanks. I'm definitely lucky. She's an incredible woman.
Yeah that's an iPad. Awesome tool to have for a trip like that. The only thing I would get for next time would be the camera connection kit, to download the pictures into it along the way. I have plenty of space on my card but always like to have a backup in case something fails. It worked great though......for emails, to book hotel rooms on the fly, look at the map, etc.
D

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackbiker View Post
Awesome pics mate , looks like some nice country over there, I like the post office theme !!
Would love to ride in the US one day!!
Still trying to cover all of Australia i'm about a 1/3 of the way there.
There were more post offices that I didn't include here. You never realize how many are around until you actually look out for them.

I'm sure the countryside in Australia is just as nice or nicer. Didn't I read something to the effect that Australia is the least inhabited continent in the world?

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Oh and by far the best tool other than the iPad and the camera was the tankbag. I retrofitted it with the padding from one of my camera bags and was able to access it without getting off the bike. This obviously makes it to where you'll take more pictures because it's not such a pain in the ass to reach it.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Great ride, great pics. I too like the post office theme.

Curiously, none of the pics of your gf show her face.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Looks like that was a great ride - nice pics!

My wife has the same bike, we've been skeptical of it's capacity for long rides but you've obviously set that straight. I'd be interested to understand how you packed the Monster. It doesn't look like there were many pairs of shoes involved

------------------------------
The journey is the reward
Brutale 1090, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode