How would you??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
How would you???

Ride from Canberra to Sydney??

I am currently in Canberra, and will be riding back to Sydney in a few weeks.

So stop me going insane from riding back up the Federal highway through Goulburn etc, which way would you recommend??

Look forward to your thoughts?

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM

I'd go via the snowy mountains up to Tumut and back out through Gundagai to Sydney. It's an insane trip to Tumut. The next leg has no traffic and friendly for joyful wrists. Roughly 700km.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Thats a big trip....if you're up for the crazy comfort factor...go for it!!!
NIce scenic route.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:36 PM

I did the Tumut trip a few years back, on the way to the Temora airshow with a few mates + wives as pillions. It was mid May, and the following weekend the road was closed due to snow...
The Cooma to Tumut stretch is some of the best riding you'll ever get (beware of cattle on the road in the forest and of the roos as you get closer to the dam near Tumut). Canberra to Cooma though is very boring, mostly straight road though the plain/plateau.

My usual Canberra Sydney itinerary is though Bungendore, Tarago, Goulburn, a few km on the highway then turn right at Marulan towards Tallong, Wingello, Bundanoon (good coffee stop), Exeter, Sutton Forest, Moss Vale, Burradoo, Bowral Mittagong, Willow Vale, a few km on the highway then turn left to Bargo, Tahmor, Picton, Camden...then it's your choice how you want to enter Sydney.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...0south%20wales

Enjoy.

M

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick de V View Post
I did the Tumut trip a few years back, on the way to the Temora airshow with a few mates + wives as pillions. It was mid May, and the following weekend the road was closed due to snow...
The Cooma to Tumut stretch is some of the best riding you'll ever get (beware of cattle on the road in the forest and of the roos as you get closer to the dam near Tumut). Canberra to Cooma though is very boring, mostly straight road though the plain/plateau.

My usual Canberra Sydney itinerary is though Bungendore, Tarago, Goulburn, a few km on the highway then turn right at Marulan towards Tallong, Wingello, Bundanoon (good coffee stop), Exeter, Sutton Forest, Moss Vale, Burradoo, Bowral Mittagong, Willow Vale, a few km on the highway then turn left to Bargo, Tahmor, Picton, Camden...then it's your choice how you want to enter Sydney.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...0south%20wales

Enjoy.

M
Thanks Mick...I am back now, and went the way you do (almost). I turned off at Exeter/Bundanoon and then went via the valley etc, and back through Wollongong and the Royal National Park. Awesome stuff (apart from the slow cars!!).

The most interesting thing was following 4 turkeys on their sportsbikes through the National Park; R1's, R6's and GSXRs - complete with sandshoes and plastic jackets!! These guys cornered like a bowl of unset jelly. Reminded me how important it is to learn to ride and dress before you step up to something with real horsepower!! (fools)

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutaleluke View Post
Thanks Mick...I am back now, and went the way you do (almost). I turned off at Exeter/Bundanoon and then went via the valley etc, and back through Wollongong and the Royal National Park. Awesome stuff (apart from the slow cars!!).

The most interesting thing was following 4 turkeys on their sportsbikes through the National Park; R1's, R6's and GSXRs - complete with sandshoes and plastic jackets!! These guys cornered like a bowl of unset jelly. Reminded me how important it is to learn to ride and dress before you step up to something with real horsepower!! (fools)
Luke, sorry I didn't reply in time (I was in Honkers on biz last week) but you found the way by yourself anyway :-) A good call to branch out towards the Gong at te end of the ride.

Yeah, I know about the kind of fools. I see them all the time, riding in boardhorts and muscle shirts on summer sundays, with their just-as-smart girlfriends perched on the back in mini shorts and mini singlets.
Learn to ride is a must (superbike cornering school is a good start - I can't get enough of it and did level 4 three times..); wear the gear is just using your brains to look after the rest of your body...
Cheerio

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode