AU/NZ heaps! US not so much? - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
AU/NZ heaps! US not so much?

Hi All,

I find that in AU/NZ there are many (MANY) more people than in the US who are keen to engage in MV events. I know the US is a large country, but so is AU - actually you can fit AU over the US pretty much bang on But the US is 300 million plus, whereas AU/NZ is 30 million plus - you would think 10 times the interest, but it seems almost the opposite sometimes. For example Last year at Phillip Island we had 40 plus owners for our event, then later in the year at Laguna Seca, 25 AMAZING PEOPLE (5 of those where from AU/NZ).

And now we come to the return of MV to Grand Prix racing in 42 years. At COTA its the first time our beloved brand has formally raced in the US for more than that time. And later in the year, Phillip Island. We have had a large about of interest in each event.. but the Phillip Island event has almost 3 times the amount of people putting their hands up.

Why is this? I would love your thoughts, feedback or comments.

What type of events do YOU want?

Simon

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Very interesting, and surprising stats.

With absolutely no intent to offend, I wonder if the USA is more of a 'throw away' society, so that in the main, owners of bikes/cars or any 'hobby-related' item might not develop as much 'emotional' ownership to their bikes as those in Aus/NZ.

Further, the OZ backbone of 'mateship' (more so than NZ) might well foster greater camaraderie between owners, and therefore flow on to attending events, than might occur in USA.

Contradicting this is this very forum's 'Gapalicious' thread which seems to attract MV enthusiasts USA wide. Therefore, is it the type of event that is not patronised rather than owners' enthusiasm? Supporting that, I also note the recent thread inviting UK Midlands owners on a ride out has been very well patronised.

This is merely a 'throwing it out there' thought, because it does conflict with the ideals of dedicated owners on this board - which realistically might represent a very small percentage of ownership.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Very interesting, and surprising stats.

With absolutely no intent to offend, I wonder if the USA is more of a 'throw away' society, so that in the main, owners of bikes/cars or any 'hobby-related' item might not develop as much 'emotional' ownership to their bikes as those in Aus/NZ.

Further, the OZ backbone of 'mateship' (more so than NZ) might well foster greater camaraderie between owners, and therefore flow on to attending events, than might occur in USA.

Contradicting this is this very forum's 'Gapalicious' thread which seems to attract MV enthusiasts USA wide. Therefore, is it the type of event that is not patronised rather than owners' enthusiasm? Supporting that, I also note the recent thread inviting UK Midlands owners on a ride out has been very well patronised.

This is merely a 'throwing it out there' thought, because it does conflict with the ideals of dedicated owners on this board - which realistically might represent a very small percentage of ownership.
Yes - i think the AU/NZ mateship is something special we have (like you, not intending to offend). However, the US owners who have been to these "official" events have been very much of the same frame of mind.

PS: Gapalicious is an amazing event and i SOOOO want to get to it!!!!

It just seems that "official" MV events in the US don't seem to get the same patronage. Again I ask why is this - to the US forum members? I really value everyone's input.

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

Last edited by greminn; 03-06-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well....I can say that the cost of admission to the COTA event is somewhat dear....and travel costs added in.

Compared to a VIP hospitality package it is not much more and worth it (in my opinion).....but a premium regular seat is only $199.

I know some MV owners who opted out of Laguna Seca WSBK MV event last year for just that reason..... didn't see the value.

Perhaps those not responding, especially those that live in relative proximity (quite a few on this forum), don't realize what the same experience would cost if they bought a package from COTA direct?

MotoGP VIP Hospitality Packages | Circuit of The Americas

For me, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I am fortunate to have a bride who understands and tolerates my frivolities when it comes to motorcycles.
cruiser and nigelrb like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I know that, for me and Cindy, this year is out because of our work situation. COTA is on our short list. Were this event in August, or after June 30th actually, we would probably be there.

Timing is everything.

For those of you who are "on the fence"...get off the fence! Simon puts on a First Class event. You will not regret participating.
cruiser likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 PM

I simply can't afford these events as they are the other side of the world and my job only allows me 17 days holidays per year. I have been to the Gap and have had a great time and would dearly love to go to another but it quite simply cannot happen for me at present. I can also add that in the uk we would be faced with a host of issues 1 being the weather and other location as the roads here aren't the best and the police take a view that bikers are a nuisance and would therefore not allow groups of bikes ride together.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming if there are any other suggestions/comments/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Compared to a VIP hospitality package it is not much more and worth it (in my opinion).....but a premium regular seat is only $199..
One thing to note is that the premium regular seat at the above price does not include Paddock Pass ($250 additional). So for just a seat and paddock pass, its going to cost you $450 - and for that you get 1 x seat!

Cheers, Simon

Brutale 910R

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Lack of dealers in the US obviously contributes to the lack of enthusiasm for long distance riding, that said I just yesterday purchased a Turismo Veloce and hope to make it to the RACES this year.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Consistency was a fundamental factor oft touched upon during my mba studies in marketing, and imo is crucial to branding success. Since this is only the first "official" premier class MV Agusta event, I'm sure interest will grow quickly in the coming years. Maybe a cross promotonal strategy would have been cool. "Buy any model RC or LE and receive 2 free passes" or "Buy 2 Club Passes and get $2,000 off any 2019 model" Lots of options. I don't think I saw any signs regarding this event at any of the 3 or 4 MV Agusta dealers I've been to in the past few months. Integration and dealer support substantiates the event in my localized point of view. Small town brand ambassadors or what Ducati is doing with DOC (membership cards, tshirts, etc..) would inspire the MV crowd to go in groups. Ducati Island, etc... Use the most passionate of the marque (us!) to promote. I think that's key. That said, it looks to be an exciting event. Hope to see some good video!
nigelrb likes this.

2013 F4RR
2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S (all sold)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott916sps View Post
Lack of dealers in the US obviously contributes to the lack of enthusiasm for long distance riding, that said I just yesterday purchased a Turismo Veloce and hope to make it to the RACES this year.
I would agree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode