Frankfurt to Florence Route Advice - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Arcimboldo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Frankfurt to Florence Route Advice

In late September, I am renting bikes with a friend, likely a BMW GS1200R and a KTM 1290 Tourer, from AllAround out of Frankfurt to Florence (Firenze). It is one of the few companies that will rent one way, which is what I am looking for. I have rented from AllAround before and rode from Munich through Austria, Switzerland and back to Munich.

I wish I could take my MV, but its about $3000, and a bunch of hassle, verses renting for about $1200.

We have about seven or eight days of riding and want to ride about 500KM a day. I am planning to zigzag from France, Luxemburg, Prague, Austria, Switzerland and to Italy. We may visit Cinque Terra. This is the way I like to travel, staying in a small or large town for only one night. I have been to these countries many times, but not on a bike.

Are there any must do routes? My friend has not been to Europe and wants to be sure to hit at least a "do not miss" type leg each day. I know you guys can give me a leg that I could incorporate. Much appreciated!

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM

New Site Garage
Red face Hic svnt dracones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrys409 View Post
Are there any must do routes? ...
There is...

But the planning tool you might need, case you haven't got it yet could be:
Kurviger

For instance 2 days worth of trek
Terrys409 and Terrys409 like this.

Dragster
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:52 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcimboldo View Post
There is...

But the planning tool you might need, case you haven't got it yet could be:
Kurviger

For instance 2 days worth of trek
Arf, Not that conviced by Kurviger calculations. Neither with adventurous mode of any of the GPS on the market. Dangerous to give full confidence into an algorithm to see nice places.

I would really suggest to plan a route based on maps informative on the roads such as what you can find on Viamichelin. Search for red, yellow and white roads with green borders, ask about those to people in the area and then prepare your roadbook (and eventually to plot them with a tool such as ITN Converter and get them into a GPS to guide you). Tourism and curvy roads are too important to let a algorithm guide you into a proper failure :-)

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I am trying out the Michelin maps on the ITN converter.. I have googled many of the top roads to ride in Europe and am plugging them in ITN. It seems to be intuitive. Once I get a little further, I will post my route for you guys to destroy.

Please send any more info you may have to make this trip great.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:32 PM

New Site Garage
Wink GPS lore "You are lost HERE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
Arf, Not that conviced by Kurviger calculations...Tourism and curvy roads are too important to let a algorithm guide you into a proper failure :-)
The half-baked idea was to propose some planning tool.
Viamichelin, ITN or some unedible alphabet soup of converters are geek superior.
So be it.

BTW Krautland motorcycle roads are sometimes closed
Streckensperrungen für Motorräder

Dragster
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcimboldo View Post
The half-baked idea was to propose some planning tool.
Viamichelin, ITN or some unedible alphabet soup of converters are geek superior.
So be it.

BTW Krautland motorcycle roads are sometimes closed
Streckensperrungen für Motorräder

Specificity in Germany, linked with abuse from the local riders in the past. May happen at some point in other regions in Europe. Some newspaper proposed the idea in Vosges where a hell lot of riders are invading the area every week-end (lot of Germans as well, since they can't ride on curvy roads on their side of the Rhein)

In short, best solution if you have the choice is not to ride over the week-end in Germany :-)

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode