Cool winter run on my dragster RR - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By masterspin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cool winter run on my dragster RR

I got tired of watching youtube videos of motorcycle reviews for over a month, couldn't take it anymore..The rain has quit for a few days but it is still 35 degrees in the early part of the day, way to cold for me to take off on a naked motorcycle. around 9:30 the sun started to pop out and I decided to see if I could muster up enough balls to hit the road. I don't have any special clothes for cold weather riding so I was pretty shure I would be turning around after a few miles. My helmet is a shark "raw stripe" open face with a plastic face guard and I have a cheap-o face/neck mask, if it wasn't for that I could not do it, way to cold without it.. Jacket is a "speed and strength" summer jacket that I think is a little heavy for summer so, it is close to being a cool weather helper. I have heavier jackets but they don't look as cool..a couple of under shirts and it got the job done. summer riding shoes..normal socks..if anything, my feet/ankles were the coldest thing on my ride. I also had a pair of winter (non motorcycle) gloves my roommate had stashed away, they worked pretty good. I was surprised that my hands didn't freeze although, my fingers did get numb after a while, a short stop would fix it..This ride was a history lesson, I have been traveling these roads by motorcycle for years but never in the freezing cold..I set my dash to the "S" aka..."sport" riding mode, I like the way the engine runs and it sounds a little crisper...As I was rolling through Waterford ca. I started to get the sence that I might last a little longer than I originally thought, my body was getting used to the cold..As I made my way past Turlock lake I noticed the water level to be at or near full capacity also the tuolumne river was over the banks, when I made this trip last summer you could walk across it and the lake was very low to the point of looking dry. the drought is over, at least for a few years. moving along through the rolling hills I stopped a few miles short of Coulterville at a gas/beer mart and got me a small red bull so I could thaw out for a while..after a short time there was 5 people checking out the dragster rr and asking questions about it, I let a guy sit on it and he took some pictures of it too It made me feel pretty good about owning a cool motorcycle. I took a short cruze thru Coulterville (population 115) a small town from the 1800's that still has some of the original buildings on main street..I started to roll on the main road twards don pedro lake, last summer it was super low close to being empty now, it is at full capacity with house boats all over the place, It made me happy...cruzing through Chinese camp is a history lesson, if you ever get a chance to go there it's worth stopping for a walk around and some pictures. Now, I'm still cold but it's to late, I'm on a mission to get to strawberry lodge/pinecrest lake...I never made it that far. I buzzed past jamestown then Sonora without stopping and I was starting to get hungry too..as I was buzzing up the mountain I was starting to really get cold and for a good reason,I was in the SNOW! about the time I was going through the town of twain hart, I started to see snow patches along the side of the road..i kept going thinking I could get to strawberry lodge for lunch..A few more miles and I was going pretty slow..slower than the cars behind me and I finally realized I might need to pull over and let them pass, I found a spot..put my feet down and I was sliding on ice..now, I'm starting to think..i let the cars/trucks go buy and I went foreward with my mission. The road was starting to get narrower from the snow, it was everywhere, I was in it full on, it was fun to see the snow up close again but now I was starting to realize that the motorcycle that I am riding is not made for this kind of situation and I am stupid to continue my quest to get to strawberry lodge.I made it to "sugerpine" elevation 4500 feet.. I found another shinny road spot to very carefully turn the bike around and head back, I should have used the dash and put the bike in "rain mode"..maybe next time. On the return trip I managed to keep the bike upright until I started to hit drier road again and it felt like I could speed to normal speeds..by the time I got back to Sonora I had to do a #1 real bad and I found a McDonalds to borrow there rest room and take a stretch..as soon as I shut the engine off I got a guy asking me questions about my bike, it never ends and that's part of the reason I bought a dragster rr..now, I'm looking at the trip miles and waiting for the gas light to come on, I get to Jamestown at 103 miles and the light never shined, looking in the tank it must have been getting close. A couple of rides around Jamestown and a cruze or two down main street was good, I like the looks I get, there are a lot of motorcycles today, at the bars and on the roadways..everybody waves except a couple of "ape hangers"...On my return trip I did a stop at Coulterville to eat there "famous" taco salad..stopped again at my "redbull" gas station place, the lady at the counter was happy that I made it back...again, the dragster rr drew a small crowd, they just cant wait untill I start the engine..the rest of the trip is just motoring home the same way I came..past Turlock lake..Waterford..then empire ca. a total of 183 miles, not to shabby for a ride I didn't think would last more than a half hour...I got back about 4:30 p.m. I left around 9:30 a.m. and the mv agusta brutale dragster 800 rr ran flawless! next time, I will make it to strawberry lodge and further...
mitchy, mitchy, GeorgeO and 1 others like this.

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by masterspin; 01-29-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode