Australia Road Trip - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Australia Road Trip

Going on a major tour to the great ocean road from Brisbane in two weeks.

Google Maps Route

Will be taking some notes on the good roads. Time is a constraint hence had to compromise with some boring bits between Ballina and Port Macquarie, and also after the snowy mountains down to Melbourne. I am very familiar as far as mount Victoria, after that it's all going to be new to me. Shame I don't have time to explore the awesome roads in South East Victoria or up in their mountains, but there is always next time. The return journey will be a quickie, probably go the long way around Port Philip Bay via the ferry, and visit friends in Newcastle. Will take detour down the old road after Sydney on the way back otherwise it'll be freeway riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
I envy you,have a safe trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Ballina to Port Macq on the Pac Highway will be terribly boring, other that you'll be riding past my place at Emerald Beach. Between Grafton and Woolgoolga it's all roadworks with 60 and 80 zones. And boys in blue everywhere. From Grafton, the Orara way via Glenreagh is a good alternative. I understand you'd want to do the Oxley from Port, but the Gwydyr from Grafton to Glen Innes is at least as fun and scenic. Then to Inverell and down the back roads to Guyra and Walcha, finishing with the Thunderbolt to Gloucester. Alternatively, from Grafton to Nymboyda and Ebor , then Waterfall Way to Armidale. So many roads, so little time...

Hell, if you decide on the Gwydyr, I might even tag along for a day or two.
Let me know.

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more

Last edited by Mick de V; 12-07-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I can see I should've squeezed an extra day in there and taken the scenic route... anyhow theres always the return leg. I'm riding a honda pan-euro with a unigo trailer, I dont think you'd enjoy riding with us on the KTM!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Help... which route is better from Cooma to Khancoban? Southern route or northern route?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:18 AM
Established Member

Southern more direct, northern more adventurous but longer.

Graham
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

The Trip was great. The three riders on the trip were all unanimous, - Oxley Highway from Wauchope to Walcha is the best riding road we have ever ridden, and the gang included a couple of guys who ride In the UK also.
A close second was the great Ocean road from Princetown onwards travelling East.
Third place was a tie between Alpine Road from Jindabyne to Kanchoban, and the Putty road for the first 30-40kms travelling South from Bulga. The best bits of the Putty are a match for anything, but it's all over a bit too soon compared to say the Oxley Highway, And the Alpine Road is great but suffers from a few narrow sections, odd bits of dodgy surface etc. Both great great rides though.

Other Epic roads,
- Jenolan Caves Road was absolutely amazing, but not something you can go too fast around, single lane mostly. I highly recommend taking it from East to West and early morning as you can to dodge any oncoming traffic. This is not a road for noob riders. The switchbacks going up the hill after riding through the cave are tricky on any bike and it's not something I would take a novice rider on.
- The roads from Oberon (just after Jenolan caves) down to Goulburn had some really great high speed sweeping corners some of the quietest high speed sections we encountered and safe to travel at speed with great road surfaces, nice scenery, cool weather high up there in the hills (1400m) and lots of visibility through corners.
- Lions way across the QLD/NSW border through a place called 'Loadstone' has epic scenery through a lost valley. Rough and dodgy road, but still worth a ride in car or on bike if you get the chance.

I appreciate we missed many great roads no-doubt, but my old favourite the Oxley highway still holds its own for a nice long thrash through the twisties, even on a big old touring bike with pillion and trailer couldn't diminish the fun!
GeorgeO and GeorgeO like this.

Last edited by squibby; 01-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Glad you are back safely.Yes,the Oxley is close to my favourite,riden it about 6 times,not on a MV though.
I also love the Snowy mountains Hwy,Black spur,Mount Beauty over Mount Hotham down to Omeo and on to Bairnsdale.
I drove down to the Blue Mountains over Xmas to see family and did the Putty Road both ways and it's in good shape at the moment.
I bet you had a great time on your trip.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy; 01-16-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

We compromised our ride a little over the snowy mountains to accommodate a couple of friends, and unfortunately didn't experience the snowy mountains highway. But it was a great trip anyways and I don't think I would change anything other than allowing an extra two days next time, one day so that we could camp out near Bulga to enjoy the Putty road nice and early before the cars arrived, and camp out near Tumut or Cooma to allow time to ride every awesome part of the Snowy mountains roads...
mitchy and mitchy like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

The Bikes, The Great Ocean Road, The Jenolan Caves
Attached Images

GeorgeO and GeorgeO like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode