Daisen Sunday Special - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Japan: Daisen Sunday Special

OK kids. So I got some schtick for not doing my last Iron Butt ride on an MV.

So here you go. 1785km. 24hrs. MV F4.

The route:

2a.m. departure.

Tokyo to Himeji Castle (UNESCO world heritage site). Most all highway here. http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/661

Himeji to Daisen (big mountain, great roads). highway there, daisen off highway.

Daisen across north coast along the Japan sea. Stop by Tottori Dunes.

Connect on the highway after lunch to get home.

Tokyo again by 2a.m.

So....what is this all about? Well, I wanted to see if I could do it. There is one finnish guy on the IBA site that has done a couple IBA rides on an MV F4S. That's it.....

Now, it seems like many IBA rides are pretty highway based. This particular ride was designed to get out of this area quick and get to some sweet roads a bit further out, and ride them during the day. Quite a bit of non-highway, which was a challenge to make the time.

So putting together documentation now. For those of you who are not familiar with IBA, it is a pretty rigorous certification process. Gas receipts, witnesses, etc.

Here is an overall picture of the route.

On the east side, you'll see a zoom in around Daisen. Those roads are twisty, narrow, full of cyclists, lots of elevation changes.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Daisen

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan

Last edited by TokyoLunch; 06-19-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Some pics.....

Three of us, Yamaha FZ1, MV F4, GSXR600 (an aussie, american, frenchman)

Rest stop on the highway.

self-cam!

Himeji castle from the front.

Here's a close-up so you can see what this thing really is.....very cool....

Found a little side road for a closer pic.

How sweet is this.....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Not really sure what I was trying to do here. really, when I was younger I could kick a bit higher.

This mountain is the other side of Daisen....

This was at the end of most of the twisties around the mountain. at this point i was pretty messed up. tired. hurting. everything. back, wrists, arms, neck. this machine isn't made for this kind of trip!

Japan Sea coast....

Tottori Sand Dunes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottori_Sand_Dunes

Tokyo, Japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Lunch was here! pizza actually. according to the map, this is a popular place for bikers to go to. Just on the coast.

Across the road was the beach. (those little dots are surfers)

Tokyo, Japan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Then we get to....Hell?

Either this is a dangerous place to be, or 50% better than US Route 66?

Below the sign was this little gate/shrine thing. Behind this is a sleeping frenchman.

Tokyo, Japan
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

So my bike is pearl white. But with this much riding, the rear got pretty dark! This is about 1200km in.

Dinner!

Don't have a pic from the end. I was sure I took one but it ain't on the camera.....hmmm.

post-mortem: I still really hurt. everything. Especially my neck/between shoulder blades. Something is a bit wrong here, may go to a doctor if it doesn't clear up in a couple days. I can't lift anything above my head. Wrists are recovering OK. Left shoulder is hosed. hurts way more than the right, which is a bit odd since the left one i could move around. But feels really weak.

Never again will I do this on an F4. Brutale is a contender tho....

Tokyo, Japan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

So for this trip I got my SW-Motech / Bags Connection / Zumo sorted out. Here's some pics.

Things to note. With where the zumo is, there is no space to tuck under the screen. so when going a bit faster, you can't get down.

Also, you cannot see the zumo normally while riding, it is not in your field of vision. Instead you have to lift your head up and look down at it. Of course, mostly this is done when stopped, so not really a problem.

My original setup used a ball RAM mount attached to the tank bag. Which meant I had a stem + zumo mounted to another RAM mount. That weighed too much on the tank bag, sat in front of the instruments, etc. So I decided to take that off and mount the zumo to the tank bag attachment. This means I need to get another Zumo cradle tho for other usage without having to dissect this one switching between bikes.

The Trip QL bag has an expansion zipper. But it touches the tank, so I had to duct tape that up, which was one design point I didn't really like.

With optional map holder, it looks like this.

Zumo power was wired up through here.

They (moto corse) installed a handy piece here. The little plastic bit holds the power cord when NOT in use. Pretty cool I thought.

All in all, pretty happy with this. Will be good to have this on the Brutale. I got a bigger Bags Connection for that..... I guess there is more to come.

Tokyo, Japan
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Another thing that made this trip interesting.

I had to do my first bump start. ever. Never done that before. Wasn't too bad! Got some good instructions on procedure.

I left the headlight on while playing with the zumo after getting gas.....no more than 10 minutes. And the battery was dead. super dead. couldn't start the bike. Trip counters got reset, clock reset. pretty damn dead.

Thought it may have been the zumo, but I suspect the headlight. even when idling, when you turn the headlight on and off, you can hear it affect the engine idle.

lesson learned.....

Tokyo, Japan
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM

awesome! pretty impressive, both your trip and all the preparation for it. I hope you recover; I wonder if you pinched a nerve in your neck/shoulder? or sometimes a little swelling around the nerves can result in the symptoms you describe. Some ibuprofen and rest ought to help.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk View Post
awesome! pretty impressive, both your trip and all the preparation for it. I hope you recover; I wonder if you pinched a nerve in your neck/shoulder? or sometimes a little swelling around the nerves can result in the symptoms you describe. Some ibuprofen and rest ought to help.

thanks dude. Looking for some motrin now (of course, its the stuff I bought in the states).

As far as prep goes, this trip was actually more ad-hoc than usual.

Our original plan was to go to Aomori, which is in Northern Japan (honshu). BUT, as you may have seen on the news, there was a massive earthquake in Iwate, which is near to Aomori. The main highway we were going to take had a reduced speed limit and we heard several roads were closed. Also, some rain seemed to be going that way, so we decided to go west.

Planning is interesting.... to make sure we can fuel up on the highway, we have to search out which service stations have fuel, and 24hour fuel at that, cuz not all have it. Kinda like toll roads in the US, which have dedicated SAs.

So we planned everything for Aomori, and then had to wing it for this one. We did some basic calcs to make sure we effectively had distance covered. The zumo was very useful for helping our ad-hoc ride and computing arrival times, etc. So we changed our route a couple times while out there.

For those of you who missed it, here is the CNN article about the earthquake that messed up our plans. Quite a severe one, especially looking at the damage caused. We felt it in Tokyo that morning, later we found out it was where we were going!

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/as...ake/index.html

Tokyo, Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode