Canberra to Tumut run yesterday - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Canberra to Tumut run yesterday

Ride Report - Tumut NSW Oz.
Went for a blast yesterday up to the snowies in NSW, some really good roads up there although the getting to them was a little tedious. Got to love those mountain roads with neverending corners and almost perfect road surfaces.

Went through Cooma, onto Adaminby (they have 98 octane ☺) then on to Tumut - where the good roads are, great grip, good visibility and not much traffic. Was having a good run until we came across a bmw x5 who was doing 80 in a 100 zone, i indicated to pass and as I'm about to pass him in the other lane, he swerves into my lane and blocks me - WTF! Lucikly i braked in time, I'm always cautious with 4WDs , they quite often seem to be driven by people with no f'n idea ....Maybe he had had a run in with other riders that day but we had only just come upon him, before we decided to pass. Not sure what his problem was but we blasted past him at the next opportunity. At Tumut, found a petrol station with 98 plus a whole swag of Victory bike riders who had just filled up - some cool looking bikes amongst them. Pity the good road doesn't last all the way to Tumut.

From then onto Tumbarumba (fuel station on the way out of town with 98 also) then head back into the twisties again where we joined the road from Khancoban over to Cabramurra. Very tight and has some of those lovely corners that come back on themselves - always good for improving your concentration! Saw a few bikes on that road, a few taking liberties with our side of the road. Lucky they weren't travelling our way when we came across the motorhome shortly afterwards, who thought the whole road was his - leaving us a not so generous 1.5 metres to squeeze through. Shortly afterwards we came across 3 wild horses grazing about 4-5 metres from the side of the road. On the way up there are lots of signs warning about kangaroos - saw plenty of dead ones and no live ones, emus - thankfully we saw none of those either. But when you see the wild horse (brumbie) signs, that makes you look that bit harder into the shadows. Although the big piles of dung on the road give you a good idea that they frequent the area. Not sure how I'd react with a bunch of horses on the road, I've survived 2 run ins with roos before, and that certainly gets your heart pumping!
Then back onto the really good bit of road on the way back to Adaminby
And more fuel.

The 1090rr was a blast, first big ride on it and love the acceleration out of the corners, and the powerful brakes. That might explain me using about 25% more fuel than my mates VFR800 ;-). I surprisingly managed 44 litres for 670 km, quite impressive and it was no doubt helped by the 150- 200km of road between Bredbo and Cooma, which was controlled by average speed/money making cameras...

All in all a pretty good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70au View Post
Ride Report - Tumut NSW Oz.
Went for a blast yesterday up to the snowies in NSW, some really good roads up there although the getting to them was a little tedious. Got to love those mountain roads with neverending corners and almost perfect road surfaces.

Went through Cooma, onto Adaminby (they have 98 octane ☺) then on to Tumut - where the good roads are, great grip, good visibility and not much traffic. Was having a good run until we came across a bmw x5 who was doing 80 in a 100 zone, i indicated to pass and as I'm about to pass him in the other lane, he swerves into my lane and blocks me - WTF! Lucikly i braked in time, I'm always cautious with 4WDs , they quite often seem to be driven by people with no f'n idea ....Maybe he had had a run in with other riders that day but we had only just come upon him, before we decided to pass. Not sure what his problem was but we blasted past him at the next opportunity. At Tumut, found a petrol station with 98 plus a whole swag of Victory bike riders who had just filled up - some cool looking bikes amongst them. Pity the good road doesn't last all the way to Tumut.

From then onto Tumbarumba (fuel station on the way out of town with 98 also) then head back into the twisties again where we joined the road from Khancoban over to Cabramurra. Very tight and has some of those lovely corners that come back on themselves - always good for improving your concentration! Saw a few bikes on that road, a few taking liberties with our side of the road. Lucky they weren't travelling our way when we came across the motorhome shortly afterwards, who thought the whole road was his - leaving us a not so generous 1.5 metres to squeeze through. Shortly afterwards we came across 3 wild horses grazing about 4-5 metres from the side of the road. On the way up there are lots of signs warning about kangaroos - saw plenty of dead ones and no live ones, emus - thankfully we saw none of those either. But when you see the wild horse (brumbie) signs, that makes you look that bit harder into the shadows. Although the big piles of dung on the road give you a good idea that they frequent the area. Not sure how I'd react with a bunch of horses on the road, I've survived 2 run ins with roos before, and that certainly gets your heart pumping!
Then back onto the really good bit of road on the way back to Adaminby
And more fuel.

The 1090rr was a blast, first big ride on it and love the acceleration out of the corners, and the powerful brakes. That might explain me using about 25% more fuel than my mates VFR800 ;-). I surprisingly managed 44 litres for 670 km, quite impressive and it was no doubt helped by the 150- 200km of road between Bredbo and Cooma, which was controlled by average speed/money making cameras...

All in all a pretty good day.
Thanks for the nice report, Steve. Beautiful bike roads those are indeed. Though it's not just roos, brumbies and emus, but also cattle that can get in the way up in the high country. And I speak from experience :-)

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,it was good fun. I had been itching to get up that way all year. Been up there twice before on my Suzuki Gladius but it was really good to hit the roads on a bike with power and handling to match. ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode