chic ur booty - an ongoing review - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

chic ur booty - an ongoing review

Passed the 200 mile mark and today was all 2-up so some initial impressions. The first 100 miles were solo, mostly up in the mountains but with the obligatory freeway sections to be get back home. The good thing (!!?!) about LA freeways is that at 3pm on a weekday, they are rather well designed for new motorcycle run-in as you're not going to drone along at 65mph. More like lane split and be constantly up and down the gear range.

Today was one of our usual routes up in the Santa Monica Mountains including Stunt and Piuma (in both directions). The weather was perfect (see photos), and a Santa Ana is moving in so it was in the low 70s, going to hit the 80s tomorrow. Lot's of bicycles, motorcycles, and a few other interesting rides:

As for the bike, an interesting comparison with the Tiger, as well as the old GS, both of which traveled these roads many times. The MV is still in the run-in phase, so I kept it at 5K max, but these roads are twisty enough that you can have plenty of fun at 5K.

As for the passenger's take on things. She's used to having a top box, and the Tiger has a longer wheelbase and more space between her and myself. On that bike she literally has fallen asleep while riding. When we're going a little hard in the curves she'll just stay back against the top box and keep her weight neutral and upright and let the bike do the work leaning. She can also push against me when going downhill.

The TV is a different beast, especially with no top box. She hasn't ridden on the back of a bike with no box since the first ride or two with the Tiger, and before that have go back to '07 on my Aprilia Shiver. It is a tighter space than the Tiger, but she sits a lot higher on the TV - the Tiger's pillion seat is flush with the front seat. She went with usually one hand on me and the other on the grab rail. But when we got into the twisties, she actually went for more of a forward lean and both hands on me.

All of this made for a very different experience for me, both relative to solo on the TV and 2-up on the Tiger. With no top box, 2-up on the TV is more work for both of us. It also puts more force on my wrists when heading downhill as I'm supporting some of her weight as well.

Beyond that though - the handling is brilliant. The best description I can come up with for the TV is that on a fun road it feels like dancing. The Tiger is much more of an SUV (albeit a good-handling SUV). The other thing that was apparent was the suspension difference. The Tiger gets a bit clunky in tight curves, especially 2-up. The TV just dances around it, even when the road is crappy. At least so says the passenger.

The other area of improvement is the brakes - good on the Tiger, great on the TV. There are times 2-up that I feel like I'm running out of rotor on the Tiger, not so on the TV.

The weight difference is also very noticeable 2-up. My wife can change her position on the Tiger and it doesn't really upset the bike. When she moves on the TV, I can feel it, and sudden weight shifts get my attention. Easy fix was just to tell her to move more slowly or tap me before she shifts around.

Still in the honeymoon phase with the bike, but it is awesome so far. Also still figuring out the little niggles and differences. For instance when we stopped today I looked at the chain sag and thought, "damn, that looks loose." But just like the slightly flex bar yoke, it seems that the single-sided swingarm and the rest of the design make for more sag when sitting.

Did I mention this bike is awesome?

her typically riding position (look ma, no hands!)

Last edited by nostatic; 02-06-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Nice pics and write-up.

There is absolutely no need to run the engine in by the way

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
Nice pics and write-up.

There is absolutely no need to run the engine in by the way
I know that is a point of contention. Truth be told I think the "just ride" and a quick (like 100 miles) oil change is probably best but I'll let the man keep me down. Plus the manual says at 300 miles you can run to 9k and that'll keep me entertained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Another 175 miles today in two different trips, first about 50 miles 2-up back to Saddle Peak, then the rest on a run to Newcomb's Ranch up Angeles Crest solo.

First the morning run - a bit of wind but not bad. Another ridiculously gorgeous day, and a few of the same MGs and some other British rides (a club drive). Plus a typical smattering of bikes.

Getting a little more used to how it handles 2-up. Plenty of juice, and it handles better than you'd think given the wheelbase and weight (i.e. relatively short and light). A top box really is a must for my pillion though - hopefully they'll sort that out soon. I am tempted to get the panniers as riding with a backpack just blows and I like to carry tools and some water/food.

The afternoon run was solo and an interesting trip, mostly due to the quite high winds. We have an official wind advisory for 25-40mph winds with gusts between 60-70mph. I can say that I really don't enjoy riding in high winds. I'll take rain any day over that. But, once you're out there you gotta go. I'd guess it probably was around 20-30mph with some 40mph gusts. It was a freeway blast from Santa Monica to the foothills and I ended up heading probably the worst route (north) as I was trying to avoid traffic through downtown.

Anywho, the bike handles wind ok. Downsides are that it is a bit tall and light so the wind has its way with the bike. Controllable, but now at the end of the day I'm beat and during the ride I was getting some arm fatigue - that's work. Once I got to the start of the Crest there was some places with some nasty gusts but a bit easier to deal with over the freeway. Calmed down a bit and it was just twisties up to Newcombs. Seriously fun bike. Especially as the revs climb above 5K.

Downsides so far? Well, going over freeway expansion joints suck. Then again, freeways in general suck so not sure I can blame the bike. One thing I notice is that the grips are a little slick, so my throttle hand slowly rotates down and I have to move it back up. Yeah, that's pretty much reaching, but when the bike does most everything so damn well, you have to find something...

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

as a point of reference to the previous 2-up on the Tiger:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode