Patagonia ... A real Mans Adventure.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Patagonia ... A real Mans Adventure..

My good friend David has gone on a Action Man adventure tour to Patagonia ..

I won't say his age, but lets just say he's no spring chicken, but has the Chutzpah of a 21 year old..

Here's a few recent emails I received the last few days about his trip to date and some pics, that some of you might find entertaining..

More to follow..

Hi All,

Brief update so far.

Very interesting flight to Madrid. My seat companion, see photo, what a nice surprise!

Had a great 2 hrs. Michael was also on his way to Santiago , so not wanting to impose, was nicely surprised when he suggested we share time in the lounge at Madrid .so the next 4 hrs were a sheer delight.

Swapped loads of stories, but I was most surprised he hadn't read "The Ice Maiden", one of my favourite adventure true heroic stories of survival, of Captain Robert Bartett, and the Karluk , trying to find the North West Passage in 1913. Compares with Shackleton.

Anyway, I have a couple of copies, and agreed to pop one round to him when we are both back.

He was on his way to Ushuaia to meet 20 friends , and a private charter boat and travel to the Antarctic.

Anyway, nice day in Santiago , mangled to find a city tour, great value at $28, and real interesting.

Now in Osorno, and we finally collect our bikes at 4pm today. CANT WAIT.

More riders arriving today, plus another tour group of 5 bikes is apparently joining us, so seems a pretty large group around 15 bikes or so. Very warm here, so first riding day tomorrow, will be summer jacket, with the vents open !!

All the best,
Dave

Attached Images

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 01-25-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Patagonia 25th

Hi all,

Collected the bikes last night. So just getting ready for first days riding.
Only short day, 230 Kms.

Bike is real nice, latest model . Loads of gizmos that drive you mad, keyless ignition and so many options, horsepower for rain, road, dirt, you name it.

Can't turn traction control off, which I don't understand why!!

Anyway, rushing now
Dave

Attached Images

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 02:45 PM

OK so now I am supposed to be patient and wait for episode 2....you know I have issues with being patient ....always fancied riding down there myself, been in the northern part of Sth America quite a bit but never down the bottom, keep this coming John......

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Thumbs up

Will do Chris...

It all depends on David and the emails he sends out during his trip.. He doesn't have a proper signal on his phone out there Patagonia and is relying on his mates super-duper satellite PC to get info out..

If I get more info and pics, I'll post it on this thread... ( as long as everything goes okay on this adventure )

J

EMAIL :
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Update from Patagonia 26 Jan

Here is the latest email received from David..

For those who are interested, enjoy the pics..

Hi All,

Great first day on the bike. Just brilliant to be riding at last. Rode as a group until coffee break, then in small groups or on your own. Had just 20kms of dirt and gravel, and soon found my balance, and feel lot more confident now.

Dust as always a bloody nuisance , but have to live with it. Photos are of arrival in Villarrica. Just beautiful town on a lake with the volcano in the backdrop. Wonderful setting for a beer as soon as we arrived.photo with Andrew from Canada, and Gernold from USA. ( got in wrong in Facebook !!).

Just love the electronic cruise control, a real treat on the roads. Also, found out it has electronic gear shift. So no need for clutch, just prod it up and down. Best in high gears though. Have a good feel of the group. All seem real nice and friendly. Early start tomorrow, and we cross into Argentina.

Best regards
Dave.

Attached Images

EMAIL :
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 AM

Excellent, enjoy the pics thank you. Have been in Brazil, Guyana, Venezuela, Colombia, Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and the very northern part of Chile.....one day I will get into the South where your mate is going. I am green with envy....please keep posting what you can John

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Patagonia 28th

Latest update from David.

Hi All,

Second day on the road, and first border crossing.

Real frustrating, 3/4 hrs to get into Argentina . But as soon as we were free, we had just a great ride on fabulous roads. I am riding with two great guys. Garnod a German living in Main USA , who restores classic Mercedes, and Mike from Bristol, who works for the MOD.

They have rented the small BMW,s, and are very disappointed, I'm so pleased I booked the 1200GS. So after a great ride, through magnificent scenery , huge lakes, which appeared like seas, we had lunch at San Martin.

I forgot to fill up, so had an anxious afternoon ride on the dirt, and just made it to the filling station running on fumes. Our stop was in Bariloche , famous for meats and chocolates.

Went to a great restaurant , Alberto,s . The steaks were delicious. And the Malbac reserve 7.50 a bottle!

I will try and send a couple of photos separately , as my last effort ended in disaster, when is attached the pics with the email, and it failed to send, then trying to delete the pics, I lost the whole email !!!
Dave

Attached Images

EMAIL :

Last edited by JDS; 01-29-2016 at 11:11 AM.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Patagonia 29th

Today's update from David.

Hi All

Been real busy last couple of days. So will catch up with Blog later. Couple of shots included to show you why it's just great riding in the remote and beautiful places. Rushing now.

Dave
Attached Images

EMAIL :
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Cool Patagonia 29th

Latest update from DD; photo's are:

Full wet gear,
Inside Butch Cassidy hide out
The Cabin
On the road with Mike and Garnod.

Attached Images

EMAIL :
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

My good friend David has gone on a Action Man adventure tour to Patagonia ..

I won't say his age, but lets just say he's no spring chicken, but has the Chutzpah of a 21 year old..

Here's a few recent emails I received the last few days about his trip to date and some pics, that some of you might find entertaining..

More to follow..

Hi All,

Brief update so far.

Very interesting flight to Madrid. My seat companion, see photo, what a nice surprise!

Had a great 2 hrs. Michael was also on his way to Santiago , so not wanting to impose, was nicely surprised when he suggested we share time in the lounge at Madrid .so the next 4 hrs were a sheer delight.

Swapped loads of stories, but I was most surprised he hadn't read "The Ice Maiden", one of my favourite adventure true heroic stories of survival, of Captain Robert Bartett, and the Karluk , trying to find the North West Passage in 1913. Compares with Shackleton.

Anyway, I have a couple of copies, and agreed to pop one round to him when we are both back.

He was on his way to Ushuaia to meet 20 friends , and a private charter boat and travel to the Antarctic.

Anyway, nice day in Santiago , mangled to find a city tour, great value at $28, and real interesting.

Now in Osorno, and we finally collect our bikes at 4pm today. CANT WAIT.

More riders arriving today, plus another tour group of 5 bikes is apparently joining us, so seems a pretty large group around 15 bikes or so. Very warm here, so first riding day tomorrow, will be summer jacket, with the vents open !!

All the best,
Dave

Excellent!

Did he get Michael to do a bit of 'Doug and Dinsdale '?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode