Bonhams-Motor Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia, The Royal Air Force Museum, London.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Thumbs up Bonhams-Motor Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia, The Royal Air Force Museum, London..

The December Sale - Collectors' Motor Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia, The Royal Air Force Museum, London

I'm popping along for a nose around on the day..

Here's a link for anyone who's interested on what's up for grabs.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2270...rtment=MOT-CYC

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM

John, make sure you leave your chequebook at home!

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:01 AM

I've been to one or two auctions and they make for an interesting day out - but I'm baffled as to why anyone would be willing to pay tens of thousands of GBP to have someone else offer to sell their bike! High-end motorcycles will attract buyers no matter where they're advertised, so why hand over so high an amount to an auctioneer?

When I sold my MV I was inundated with offers from all over the world - and this from a simple free advertisement on 'Car and Classic' web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750four View Post
I've been to one or two auctions and they make for an interesting day out - but I'm baffled as to why anyone would be willing to pay tens of thousands of GBP to have someone else offer to sell their bike! High-end motorcycles will attract buyers no matter where they're advertised, so why hand over so high an amount to an auctioneer?
That's easy Steve.....you're hoping there are at least two high net worth individuals with big egos in the room engaging in a dick wiggling contest. I've seen stunningly stupid monies paid solely because two rich guys locked horns over whatever was on the stage.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
That's easy Steve.....you're hoping there are at least two high net worth individuals with big egos in the room engaging in a dick wiggling contest. I've seen stunningly stupid monies paid solely because two rich guys locked horns over whatever was on the stage.
.....and that's exactly what just happened to a few cars in NY Randy

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
I can understand that happening Randy, but it's not guaranteed. And a similar scenario might be achieved by exposing the bike to prospective purchasers 'on-line' for a while, and considering offers. This is what happend in my case, and I had a great many 'bidders' trying to outbid one-another. When my bike sold I paid nothing in sellers' fees. Had I put it through Bonhams, I dread to think what I'd have lost out on!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Big Randaddy

Hindsight is always 20/20, and one never knows the future outcome. Being in the car business for 38 years I've bought and sold literally tens of thousands of cars. Each and every time I bought a vehicle, I paid more than any other sane bidder present. That's a sobering thought in itself.

On the other hand, I've successfully.......and unsuccessfully......sold thousands of cars at auction. The fees? Generally there's some sort of transportation fee (but not always) to get the car to and from the auction. In my neighborhood, that could range from zero to $75 locally, and up to a few hundred dollars nationally. There's also a buy fee ranging from zero up to a flat $200 or so, or 8-10% of the purchase fee. The sale fee can also be 8-10% of the sale price. There might be an additional reconditioning or cleanup fee if you choose to avail yourself of the auction's recon or cleanup shop. There's a lot to be said for picking up the phone, scheduling a pickup (or delivery) of your inventory, and even allowing the house to represent your vehicles in your absence. (I never liked letting someone else represent my cars on the block....you never know what might happen).

Why use an auction? Several reasons.....first, just being there gives you an instantaneous view on today's market on your vehicle and all others. Second, there's tons of business being conducted "off the auction house books". You're dealing with dozens of buyers and sellers that you might have a business relationship with thereby promoting other purchases and sales. Third, the reputable auction houses guarantee certain items on the transaction starting with the money, the title, the actual mileage, and under certain circumstances, the actual fitness of the vehicle. I've returned dozens of vehicles that, under further inspection, were not as represented. Finally, many auction houses provide you with a "free float" under certain circumstances. In other words , you might negotiate 60 days free carry prior to paying for the vehicles you just purchased, thereby giving you an opportunity to sell the vehicle before you actually pay for it.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 12-11-2015 at 02:07 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Randy, at Bonham's New York most cars were on the low end of estimates but a few were 2 or 3 times what they are actually 'worth'.....dick wiggling for sure. (I just got back and a bit jet-lagged but happy, it was a great auction)

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750four View Post

but I'm baffled as to why anyone would be willing to pay tens of thousands of GBP to have someone else offer to sell their bike! High-end motorcycles will attract buyers no matter where they're advertised, so why hand over so high an amount to an auctioneer?
Because of World Wide branded advertising, guarantee buyer protection, attracts serious collectors and weeds out the online time wasters..

The benefits from selling a collectors or investment motorbike through an established auction house like Bonhams, is that you know when the hammer goes down, it's a done deal..

Although the seller pays a premium for this type of service, in most cases they recoup that back in a higher price achieved for their bike or car..

Last year a 1972 750S sold for 85,000 at Stafford, which was 40K over estimated reserve.. And from what I've been told, it wasn't a particularly nice example..

At this years Bonhams Stafford auction, most of the pre 1920 British bikes where being snapped up bank corporations.. One representative of an East European bank bought 8 bikes for his client..

I doubt this little bunch will go up for sale on Ebay or any other online advertising portal .

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

EMAIL :
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 06:55 AM

Holy Lawrence of Arabias Batman that's a good find. And at the auction I particularly liked the virtually NOS VW Beetle

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode