MV Agusta Forum banner

Is my engine done?

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  dudman 
#1 ·
F3 675 2013

I was riding today and during my ride I first notice a drop in power.

So slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road. I waited for a bit then decided to drive it home slowly. I turned the bike on a started gently going down the hill and noticed the sound of a quick repetitive noise, so I immediately stopped a turned of my bike.

I got it towed and the tow guy was an engine enthusiast so he asked to hear my engine turned on briefly. He said it sounded like the Rods were loose in the engine.

So what do you think? A significant loss of power, but the bike still runs and the sounds from the engine rods- How bad is this scenario?

#2 ·
Hard to say but given the fact this year and model is known to have valve problems, it could be a broken valve? Let us know what you find out.

#13 ·
A dropped valve is a valve that has become unbound from the motive force for the valve. The valve, or part of it, is free to float in the cylinder. By floating free in the cylinder the valve, or part of the valve, can cause mild to menacing damage to the cylinder internals and the other parts to which the moving, driven mass is attached.

It can be catastrophic. (or not):smoking:

Reactions: plexiform
#16 ·
I swapped out the engine for one I found on ebay.

The engine was probably majorly screwed so I didn't see the point of paying someone to figure out exactly what the problem was instead of moving on immediately. On a cursory note, the guys at the shop said the engine sounded like a rod was bent.

I did keep the engine and intend to tear it apart someday but right now I got other things going on. I know next to nothing about engines so this will be a cool learning experience in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.