MV Agusta Forum banner

Considering a Brutale 1090RR

13K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  jhollis 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I already have an F4 (you can see my previous thread here http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/106-f4-2nd-gen-2010/174577-f4-special-build.html)
however i have been on the look out for a second bike for a while now, usual suspects, Monster, Tuono or a Brutale etc.
I went to view a 1090RR today and I am seriously considering buying it, seems it great condition, rode well (easier than my F4) with 13k on the clock. Good price also.

The bike would be used more as an everyday bike but not to commute to work, occasionally with the missus on the back.

Anything i should look out for on this model? assuming it is much the same engine etc as my F4 so similar know little niggles.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
All the usual stuff - check service history and that someone familiar with MVs has done the servicing. All the similar niggles apply. Its missing some top line power compared to an F4 but the lower gearing more than makes up for that, and roll on in gear performance is better.

I love my 1090RR but I wouldnt buy one as a pillion bike though ....it likes to wheelie in enough as it is, with someone on the back I would think a whiff of throttle in any gear will have it on the rear wheel :)

I fitted the single seat cowl and took the pillion pegs off; I have a more pillion friendly bike for taking the missus out on !

#7 ·
I have a 2012 1090RR and it's a great bike! Not as fast as my F4 but a great all around bike for traffic or open road. It does everything well! I'm not sure how comfortable a pillion would be because I've never taken one.(I'm enjoying my extra F4 wheels jhollis ;-) )

#9 ·
Ok, the deal is done. She is now mine however it will be a couple of weeks until i get to pick her up (we are both travelling)

Told the Missus I need 2 MV's as she has more than 2 handbags so same theory goes, different bikes for different purposes. Plus she can go on the back but going on whats been said here she may quite scared!

#13 ·
Congratulations on the buy. I've had mine only a month but done 600 miles. Everything on this bike IMHO is excellent, the fuelling is spot on. The only thing I have done is have the seat repadded. Enjoy it, ride it and forget about changing this and that until you get to know it. People seem to have an obsession with ECUs and exhausts. Just another reason to spend money it seems to me. These are special bikes out of the box.

#17 ·
Haha, believe me mate, I never do to be honest. Singapore might not be the most exciting place but at least we are blessed with sunshine everyday. And Sepang is a 90 min flight and car drive away (or 3 hours flat out on the Malaysian highway if you like risking your life that way)

#18 ·
Ok, so she arrives next week, will get to know her for a bit then begin to make some modifications.
Already ordered:

Rizoma tail tidy
Replacement front and rear indicators
Bar end mirrors

Thinking on a set of gold marchesini same as I have on my F4.

Will update with some pictures very soon.

#23 ·
Cheers man. In 2 weeks time she goes in for a service and some minor mods. There are a few issues at the moment such as poor braking performance (no feel) and clutch is heavy/slipping. It has been sat for approx 6 months so maybe some air has got into the systems. Power seems good, a lot different from my F4 however I am not pushing yet until he oil is changed and I can check if any debris. Probably not but better to be safe than sorry.

Overall very happy, just need to make her my own with a few mods.

#27 ·
So she has gone into the workshop for a thorough check, change of fluids and there is the 'common' hot start issue for which i read all the previous threads on here.
Hope its something simple.

Additionally I have decided to have the wheels and radiator guards painted the same white as is already on the bike. Hoping this updates the look slightly and i don't mind white wheels, not uncommon on MV's and I had on my S4RS also.
Anyway, worst case its not major money to return to stock black.
Original plan was for gold Marchesini just like my F4 but thought I would try something different. I think the black doesn't show these OEM wheels off to their best.

Will take around a month as I am travelling in Japan for a while....visiting the MV Zagato, F4 RC and F3 RC from last WSBK/WSS season that someone bought and put on display in a gallery there.

#28 ·
Seems we found the source of the hot start issue, the wiring around the starter relay is burning up, need to replace some wiring and the starter relay, pretty much what one of the previous threads said on here.

So now the wheels and radiator guards come off and away to the paint shop.

#31 ·
Cheers mate, I certainly was looking at the footpegs as i just installed Lightech rearsets on the front and needed something more grippy for the pillion.

Hadn't considered the Triboseat however so will take a look, cheers!

#34 ·
@jhollis looks HAWT :)

Is the paint slightly pearlescent? Ie does it match the white on the cowling?

Out of interest, what brand of paint was used? I'm thinking about white rims but I'm a bit wary of 1) yellowing over time and 2) keeping the buggers clean...I've got standard black 10 spokers and they look like I've ridden through a Dakar rally just going to the shops.

#36 ·
Yes mate, the paint is slightly pearlescent same as the MV OEM paint. I am actually amazed the painter managed to match the paint so perfectly. Even the guys in the workshop were blown away how good they look.

I have no idea what brand of paint but i can ask.

I will keep the forum posted if they start to yellow but as for keeping them clean, thats not a bad problem to have? therapeutic cleaning your bike!

#35 · (Edited)
Done! so many little bits upgraded or fixed but needless to say she rides like a dream now and looks the part (in my humble opinion)

Just needs a lot more riding now....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.