Bar ends - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Bar ends

I was thinking about ordering some Oberon heavy bar ends to reduce vibrations in the handlebars but these questions arose:

1) What version do i need? They have a model for 1" and a model for 7/8"
2) Should i get the steel ones that weigh almost 500gr, or do i take the billet aluminium ones that weigh about 200gr? Oberon states the vibration reduction comes from the expanding collar and not the weight itself, so i ask because there is a substantial price difference

I know the motovation ones are very good, but importing them from the US is just downright expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:11 PM

You'll never be happy with 'lightweight' bar ends...........go for the heavy ones every time!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

ok makes sense, what diameter should i order?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 01:59 PM

The handelbars on my Brutale 1078rr are 22mm (7/8") in diameter (outside) at their ends and have an internal diameter (at their ends) of 17mm.

Looking at the expanding collet size range of 12-19mm for the 7/8" oberon bar ends (22mm for the 1'' bar ends) it would seem you need to order the 7/8" bar ends for your bike.
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...d_Weights.html

Just to be 100% certain..pull out your OEM bar end and measure the diameter of the hole in your handelbars to see if it complies with what they (Oberon) offer.
Brian.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hmm, i just noticed the stainless steel ones are not available in a color variety which is gonna look plain ugly :/

would it be a viable plan to simply paint them ?

Last edited by jgeraerts; 06-04-2014 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Paint doesn't want to 'stick' to stainless steel really well and you'll probably find it 'chips' quite easily.
If you really want to paint them you'll be needing to give them a little 'sand' with some 180 - 240 grit 'wet 'n' dry' paper.
This will give a little 'key' prior to primer and then paint.

Personally I'd not paint them as I think the natural stainless steel would look fine.., if you are happy with the design and shape of them.

I've quite a bit of experience making Bar ends and there are many of my threads here on the forum.

I tend to use brass and let the natural beauty of the metal complement the bike..,and although brass wants to 'tarnish' I never clear coat preferring to 'stay on top of it' with a little metal polish as part if my bike cleaning routine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeraerts View Post
Hmm, i just noticed the stainless steel ones are not available in a color variety which is gonna look plain ugly :/

would it be a viable plan to simply paint them ?
As mentioned painting them won't hold up long term. There is always the option of powder coating. Aluminum ones come in multiple colors since you can easily anodize aluminum but that is not the case with steel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I took contact with Oberon. They told me that even with the lower weight, most of their customers find the lighter aluminium ones to absorb more vibration than the stainless steel ones, which is the reason they don't offer any options on them anymore.

The explanation was that aluminium is a material that easier absorbs vibrations, reducing them in the handlebar. Steel on the other hand is more solid, amplifying the vibrations but increasing tip in speed on bikes.

I'll try a set of billet ones, as they offered me a "refund if not happy" warranty on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode