Draginknee's 07' F4 Senna build/mod thread - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Draginknee's 07' F4 Senna build/mod thread

Well.... since I have down time waiting for Muzzy to get their heads out of their a** and get their tooling finished for their fan blades to start rolling out again. I figured I'd buckle down and start a build thread for my Senna.

Mods - if this is in the wrong place, let me know. For my past cars and other bikes there has been a section dedicated to people's builds/projects, so I didn't quite know where to put this. I like to have a record of all the work on my pride and joys, and this is my new #1 on that list, and I'm pretty sure will be for quite a while.

This is MV #2 for me, and 7 years since my last 02' 750, so there was quite a bit of researching and looking before I finally found what I really wanted in another MV... but I finally found a Senna, which was on the top of my wish list (would have also been happy with a 312R, or 1078, or an Ago 1000). Here she is the day I picked her up with my newly born son on it, and once I got her home.

At first I thought I wasn't going to do any mods to this already fantastic machine... but, like everything else with an engine that I have ever owned, that started to go out the window little by little.

The first thing to go was the original Yuasa battery, that even after having it hooked up to my battery tender Jr. decided to give out completely before I even got the chance to take it for a ride once I got it home and it sat for a week. I know a lot of people give these MotoBatt AGM batteries a bad wrap, but I have had them in my last 4-5 bikes, and they have been great. I also upgraded my charger to a Noco Genius after reading some great things about them on here.

Next was getting the cooling system flushed out, the water pump upgraded, and some muzzy fan blades put on to get this thing to run as cool as it could since I live in SWFL, and it's HOT down here in the summer. After a lot of research, I decided to go with the Design Corse water pump. It was such a nice piece, that it just seemed well worth the $$. And let me say, after having it in my hand and installing it, what a nice piece indeed.

I also needed to clean up the exhaust, and thought about ceramic coating the header for better heat management in the fan/radiator area. So I sent the header off to ProCoat in Tampa to have it done. I also picked up an arrow mid-pipe and polished up the rear tail pipes as well... which was A LOT of work... but it was nice to learn something new and do it myself. Some pics of the before and after of the pipes, and the finished exhaust setup.

I picked up some small stuff as well. Some carbon fiber heel guards, a Melotti Tidy Tail, Zero Gravity tinted wind screen, Clear Alternatives integrated tail light, 55w HID kit for the low beam headlight from DDM Tuning, and some 3w Cree LED projector lensed parking lights. Along with a BMC Race air filter as well, that should be here any day. I don't have pics of it all yet, since it's not all back together (still waiting on the Muzzy fan blades), but here is some of it.

Thanks to my wife, I also have a cool key chain to go with it

I am hoping to get the BMC filter here this week, and I can get the top half of the bike and tail put back on, and also figure out where I am going to put the HID ballast and wiring, since there is not a lot of room.

Next on my list for the future is:
1) Ecu and tune. I would like to get a dyno tune and re-flash to be able to lower the turn on temp for the fans and am working on that... but doesn't look there is anyone offering that near FL from what I have seen so far.

2) Upgraded rear hub. I have been reading quite a lot on this forum since the bike came home in March... and lately it has been all the horror stories of rear hub failure. The bike only has 2700 miles on it, but I want to keep it tip top, and I think it would be a wise investment for either a hub from Mitch or DC... leaning toward's Mitch's hub right now.

3) GP shift pattern. I am still debating between the reverse drum route or some upgraded rear sets. I have seen some reviews on the Gilles saying you had to mod the fairing for the shift linkage... which I am NOT doing. So that's down to Rizoma or Sato. Guess I'm leaning more towards the drum route through MV parts as I like the oem rear sets pretty well.

Muzzy has no ETA on their fan blades, and I don't want to put it all back together until I get them on since I already have the radiator dropped and the coolant drained, which I'll be replacing with engine ice. So it looks like this is it for now. Will keep updating as time goes on, and hopefully this will be some help for others wanting to do the same mods in the future... not that there isn't plenty of good resources here already.

If anyone has any suggestions or input on anything, I would love to hear it. Look forward to getting this thing back together and out for a proper ride, since I have technically owned it for over 2 months with the only ride being a test ride around the neighborhood of the seller when I first bought it. Thanks to all of you who are active, and all of your knowledge and insight and contributions into this great forum. Also some of the site vendors, you guys have some great customer support, which makes getting parts for MV's far less painful.

"When you cannot ride de bike, you are very quiet at home in de sofa." -Rossi
I'm Curtis...
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For used MV parts, look up my ebay user ID; "cbmx101"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:35 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Do your self a favor and forget the Muzzy fan blades. Get a cheap Ducati 1098 fan off ebay and mount in that huge gaping space on the left side of the radiator where MV Agusta should have put one in the first place. It will pull more air than the muzzy and you can either wire it into the existing circuit or use a separate switch. That one minor mod, more than anything else you do, will help keep your engine cool in SWF.

You have a pretty wife and I really like your drive way.
post #3 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Do your self a favor and forget the Muzzy fan blades. Get a cheap Ducati 1098 fan off ebay and mount in that huge gaping space on the left side of the radiator where MV Agusta should have put one in the first place. It will pull more air than the muzzy and you can either wire it into the existing circuit or use a separate switch. That one minor mod, more than anything else you do, will help keep your engine cool in SWF.

You have a pretty wife and I really like your drive way.
I will look into that. The oem blades had started melting on the tips already, so not sure how I feel about keeping them. I may do both.... I dunno.

Thanks!! yea she is the best... and that was the seller's driveway, not mine, lol. Mine is much more plain and boring, lol.

I'm Curtis...
Email:

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 PM
CAG

By all means, replace the plastic blades with aluminum blades, but don't expect a dramatic difference in cooling. Those blades won't melt, but they aren't efficient either.

The problem you have, particularly with the Senna is in the ECU. The timing is retarded at idle. That can only be corrected by a re flash or a new modified ECU.

There is not enough air flowing through the radiator when the bike is not moving to keep it cool. Adding aluminum fan blades won't change that. You have to pull more air through it. Don't worry about exhausting that hot air, it will get out.

Check out the Fanzilla and son of Fanzilla threads for a step by step on how to do it.
post #5 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
By all means, replace the plastic blades with aluminum blades, but don't expect a dramatic difference in cooling. Those blades won't melt, but they aren't efficient either.

The problem you have, particularly with the Senna is in the ECU. The timing is retarded at idle. That can only be corrected by a re flash or a new modified ECU.

There is not enough air flowing through the radiator when the bike is not moving to keep it cool. Adding aluminum fan blades won't change that. You have to pull more air through it. Don't worry about exhausting that hot air, it will get out.

Check out the Fanzilla and son of Fanzilla threads for a step by step on how to do it.
I read up on the Fanzilla and son of threads... and I like it. But I can't seam to find the details of HOW they mounted the fan to the radiator, and what they did and used to make the rubber seal around the outside of the fan shroud. I looked through all of his started threads to see if I missed it somehow, but nothing popped out as a more detailed thread.

If I could get some more info on that, that would be great. Now I think on the wiring, I would just simplify it and make the 3rd added 1098 fan wired to a toggle switch and just turn it on/off at the start/end of the ride, and leave the other two wired into the oem switch set by the ECU. NOW with that said if I can get an ECU re-flash with some lower turn on fan temps, that would help even more... plus fixing the crappy stock tune.

I'm Curtis...
Email:

Facebook:

post #6 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 PM
CAG

There ya go!
post #7 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I'm working with him, Carl, on the crappy stock tune.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Curtis, here is one option for ballast mounting...there are others.

Name:  DSCN5857rTEXT.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  153.9 KB

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I'm working with him, Carl, on the crappy stock tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Curtis, here is one option for ballast mounting...there are others.

Attachment 148249
Much thanks Chuck... you have no idea how much that will help me out.

As far as the ballast, I am thinking that, or here...

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attach...1&d=1271622215

Either I think would be fine, and I don't think I need to be taking off the left side fairing for a whole lot. What about the wiring? Did you guys just make a slot in the top or bottom rubber cover? I am thinking the bottom one as to keep it hidden.

I was thinking more about the 3rd fan today, and I'm at the point to where I am ready to bail on the mussy fan blades, and put the $$ towards a 1098 fan and getting it mounted. Also getting all the fans sitting on the radiator with a gasket around the shroud. Trying to find a similar gasket to what Lee or Stiv used, but there are SO many out there to look though, and it's hard choosing something without having your hands on it.

I'm Curtis...
Email:

Facebook:

post #10 of 399 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:27 PM
CAG

Get a piece of vacuum line and slit it down it's length only cutting into half the tubing with a razor blade. Voila, instant gasket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode