header coatings... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
header coatings...

so, the heat generated by the MV has got me thinking about header coatings. also, i'm curious to see what data and real world use - specifically in the area of Formula 1 engines - is out there on the use of coatings in engine headers.

here's one company in the USA that does this stuff:
http://www.jet-hot.com/

any thoughts, ideas, or experiences from the forum members?

alex

03 r6
05 f4 1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM

I have a good friend and neighbor who does all types of flame spray; I was thinking of asking him about coating my headers, so I'll let you know if it works out.

http://www.accuwright.com/applicatio...ms/index.shtml
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
I have a good friend and neighbor who does all types of flame spray; I was thinking of asking him about coating my headers, so I'll let you know if it works out.

http://www.accuwright.com/applicatio...ms/index.shtml
be good to get some data on your bike before and after the coating process. i think the most useful would be a dyno run - before and after - on the same dyno. be nice to have it done on the same day (which means two sets of headers), since atmospheric conditions can influence the motor performance. but at least on the same dyno, if it's different days.

the other interesting items would be temperature data. i'd like to know what the exhaust temps are for a coated vs. uncoated system. where and how to measure this is not something i've thought much about...maybe at the CO bung?

alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 PM

Most F1 headers I've seen pics of are uncoated Inconel (a super steel).
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
be good to get some data on your bike before and after the coating process. i think the most useful would be a dyno run - before and after - on the same dyno. be nice to have it done on the same day (which means two sets of headers), since atmospheric conditions can influence the motor performance. but at least on the same dyno, if it's different days.

the other interesting items would be temperature data. i'd like to know what the exhaust temps are for a coated vs. uncoated system. where and how to measure this is not something i've thought much about...maybe at the CO bung?

alex
I'll see what I can do. It seems that much of the heat comes from the cat, so before I get the pipes coated I think I'll install a midpipe and have it coated too.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Most F1 headers I've seen pics of are uncoated Inconel (a super steel).
If you can find me some Iconel headers for chaep, I'll go for that!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
A couple guys on the Superhawk forum got thiers done...here's a post from one of the guys who got it done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooYeah";p=&quot View Post
you should see the motor running cooler, and a little boost in low end once it is warm. Here are the numbers for my SS.

Factory 293hp 310ft/lb

LT headers and a few others - [email protected] and 476ft/lb @3700rpm

same on bottle - [email protected] and 678ftlb

coated same otherwise - 437hp and 489ft/lb @2300rpm!!!!!!

And we dynoed it 5 times to make sure and then recalibrated the dyno. The fact that the heat never was high in the header the gas flowed alot faster and my EGT was alot more consistent. But the greatest was the addition of 13ft/lbs and at 1400rpm faster. I will always go with et hot and the new exhaust I am getting (from a board memebr) will be sent to them to be buetified.

Hey JB did you get yours coated inside also??? It is like 50 bucks more usual for cars, so i always make them do it, double the barrier

I have had 17 headers done by jet hot on almost every vehicle i have owned and they are the best.

Is what it'll look like....if it matters, but on your fairing'd bike...it doesn't

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 AM

What about the fibreglass wrap tape? Too old-skool?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:06 AM

I'd go with ceramic coat, it's better, safer and pretty cheap. We have jet-hot here in Aus now (as well as a number of others that do the same thing)and it only costs about AU$200 to get done.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:38 AM

The Jet hot stuff really holds up well. The old big blocks we build generate a lot of heat and the ceramic coated headers handle it with no problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode