Carbon or magnesium wheels for track? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Carbon or magnesium wheels for track?

I am close to finishing my racing F4Y10 .
The wheels... I have a question about it.
Do you use carbon (BTS) or magnesium ( Marchesini) wheels for "your track day or racing"...or forged aluminum is more secure.
The question is for tracl and racing...not for road.
Thanks.

www.mv-agusta.es using motorcycle app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:52 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Jorge

If it was my track bike and I had to choose between carbon and magnesium wheels, I'd go for magnesium ..

The reason I'd use magnesium wheels is because track bikes tend to go through more tyre changes than the average road bikes and carbon wheels can be prone to the risk of damage the more times they are subjected to new tyre changes..

EMAIL :
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

New Site Garage
Magnesium for sure.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainF4 View Post
I am close to finishing my racing F4Y10 .
The wheels... I have a question about it.
Do you use carbon (BTS) or magnesium ( Marchesini) wheels for "your track day or racing"...or forged aluminum is more secure.
The question is for tracl and racing...not for road.
Thanks.

Mg.

The next question you need to figure out is whether you want to go with 16.5 or 17 inch rims.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM

New Site Garage
He'll be struggling for decent 16.5 tyres before long.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
I'd stick with the OEM size, as you'll have a bigger market interest should you wish to sell the wheels on at a later date..

EMAIL :
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys !
I can see people said more MG ,OK
My good, I didn't know that you change the size oem for track....and this why?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpainF4 View Post
Hi guys !
I can see people said more MG ,OK
My good, I didn't know that you change the size oem for track....and this why?

Not sure what you mean by "change the size oem for track", but the 16.5 inch tires use a different profile than the oem/17 inch rims. The 16.5 provide a better contact patch at lean angles so in essence provide more traction. Generally speaking the rubber compounds for the racing tires are better choices as well.

16.5 size rims might not be used as much in Australia but don't see an issue finding them in Europe and north America. And yes, one can switch between the 2 different sizes for track and street. Just be aware that whichever size one decides to go with you will have to have your suspension set up for that particular tire set. Any competent suspension company(usually a couple track side for the race weekends) can set up your bike for the tires one is running. It does make a great deal of difference to have a properly set up suspension for the tire/profile one is running.

Something to consider is what JDS mentions. If you plan on selling the rims on shortly you'll want to consider that 16.5 inch race rims may not sell as quickly as 17 inch rims.....mostly because few potential buyers have any idea how good the race rims and tires choices are.

Caveat: not sure how it works over in Europe but in north America one would need to either buy track side or make contact with a tire distributor to buy the 16.5 inch tires as they aren't an over the counter item at most places that sell tires. Buying directly from a distributor is not a big deal, or any more trouble than buying a set of tires over the internet.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Go mag. I had bst's on my mv. When at the track the dick changing the rear tyre cracked the rim

BMW s1000rr:
2006 mv 1000 nero 3/21(sold)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

The argument that the carbon rim is damaged when changing the wheels is very logical.
And I haven't intention of changing from 17 to 16.5, honestly here in Spain I have not ever heard that discussion.
Pirelli slicks for me and any problem.
SC1 120/70 R17
SC2 200/60 R17.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode