Smooth Throttle Response - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Smooth Throttle Response

Has anyone tried these products to smooth out the throttle notchiness:
http://www.g2ergo.com/sitebody/tcspro4t.shtml
Any feed back on smoothing out the throttle notchiness is also appreciated...

....shay hullo to my lille friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamranmarashi
Any feed back on smoothing out the throttle notchiness is also appreciated...

What do you mean, specifically? With the bike off you can feel 'something' when twisting the throttle?

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, kind of hard to explain. I assumed everyone must have had that or something. For instance going into a corner, I have to have my speed dead on, if I go into it too slow, I don't dare open it up because it has an abrupt power surge/delivery that can upset the bike. On my Duc, I can do just about anything with the throttle (kind of idiot proof) and it powers through smoothly. That's kind of why I have decided against taking the MV to the track and continue taking the Duc to the track. When I try to open it while existing from corners, I have to make a super concious effort to move the throttle very, very slow and smooth. I was hoping to smooth out the delivery so I don't have to freak out trying to blast out of corners!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Hi Kamran,
sounds like your bike needs to have a co2 and TPS check up.

I shuffered from the same problems ,as I'm shure James C will also suggest, try 4.5% co. Both my bikes like that setting and after having TPS set correctly the motors will hold revs on the overrun into corners and drive out hard as you dare.

Cool looking bike by the way!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 PM

power commander smoothes it out with more power too
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmivvi
Hi Kamran,
sounds like your bike needs to have a co2 and TPS check up
that man

We've called it 'throttle abruptness' over time I guess. Glad to hear it was just this and not something physical, though I know it can feel physical - almost like a vacuum suction is holding the butterfly closed. Glad to hear you are riding hard enough to turn this up

I bought a sync tool and an exhaust gas analyzer some time back and can say with 100% certainty after a lot of playing around that you can introduce or eliminate this feeling depending on setup. If it's nearly time for a valve check then do that first (out of spec valves nullify correct numbers), followed by the throttle body balance and CO.

Here are my suggestions for elimination:
-open Exhaust
-clean filter
-Valves in spec
-Throttle bodies balanced very carefully and keep screws withing spec
-CO at 4.5% for my bike
-CR9EIX NGK plugs

I find you need to do this sooner than every valve check, it can drift out of spec from 3000-5000miles (a few times much sooner) in my experience.

JamesC

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys, and thanks James for the instructions. I have about 5700 miles on it and will be taking it for service this summer. I'll hand them the list and put them to work...!

mamivvi, thanks for the comps, and I love the background where you took the pictures (the ones with the flowers and the rustic backgrounds). Is that your property? Very beautiful...

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM

Thanks Kamran,

will show your comments to the wife tomorrow, she's forever telling me to clean my shit up!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 03:50 PM

Exhaust Gas Readings

Folks, I wonder if this thread is dead?

If not, may I ask some tuning questions? I noticed that some people are suggesting % CO of 4.5%. Can you tell me if you are looking at other parameters, such as CO2, HC's and O2?

I just replaced my AGO's original RG3 chip with a new one developed by Ferracci (Thanks Sam at Corse Superbikes!), and was setting up the CO to minimize it, plus maximize CO2 (best efficiency). The following numbers, which had the exhaust smelling very rich, were obtained before adjusting anything:

CO-------CO2-------HC---------O2
%---------%--------PPM--------%

(Nose gas analyzer says this is pretty stinkin' rich)

I leaned to stumbling idle

Then enrichened slightly

Then looked for smoothest idle near this number (slight tweak of the pot)

(Using the nose gas analyzer, the exhaust smells like good complete combustion- no over-rich smell)

I was surprised to see your notes indicating that 4.5 %, or there about, is best. I do note that the throttle response with my last figures is very sharp- blip the throttle and the RPM is at 6000 in an instant. I also ran the throttle up slowly, all the way to 8000 RPM (the previous PROM had a nasty bucking cut-out between 7000 and 8000 RPM), and found the engine was smooth all the way up and down. I have not put any miles on the bike yet- that will have to wait until next weekend.

As I am brand new to tuning up motorcycles with a gas analyzer, I am not sure what I am shooting for here. I read an article I found on the 'net from Toyota about setting for best CO2, and enrichening slightly to be in the stochiometric (~14.7:1 Air/Fuel ratio) burning range.

Note the high HC's- I don't have the catalytic converter in during this test. Do these HC's seem abnormally high to you?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions you can make.

Sincerely,
Shane

Last edited by Shane; 04-30-2006 at 04:46 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:49 PM

On my 910R, when you get back on the gas slowly, it feels like the bike slows down a little, or "pauses" for a split second befor picking up power.
When I had the bike on the dyno, I tied replicating this and I found that when you are cracking the throttle, say 2-5%, a lean condition in the map shows up.
I added some fuel at these throttle positions and it help with the transition.

I will be tweaking the PC map some more to see if I can eliminate it completely.

So, James C and others are correct that is mostly a fueling issue. But do check the basics first.

John T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode