Pirates License kit and Tail Lights - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Pirates License kit and Tail Lights

Anybody hook this up? I ordered one late last week, arrived yesterday. Looks like quality stuff. Anybody hook it up yet and have any suggestions?

On a side note, I had a really nice conversation with Pirates wife(?). Very cool woman. And very easy to deal with. A refreshing change of pace from some venders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM

suggestion is to write him an email asking about an alternative flasher relay. i had my turn signals flash a few times then cut off or stay solid for a while. he'll respond and tell you about the new flasher relay which you can pick up in local store for next to nothing.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 AM

I have hooked them up. It is important to take your time and make the wiring look as factory as possible. If you look at my Gallery you will see some pictures of where I wired all the connections into.

As for the flasher unit, if you bought the kit within the past 5 months the new flasher would have been included.

I was the one that did the research on the flashers and alerted Pirate to the fix for the "Slow Flash / No Flash" problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one
suggestion is to write him an email asking about an alternative flasher relay. i had my turn signals flash a few times then cut off or stay solid for a while. he'll respond and tell you about the new flasher relay which you can pick up in local store for next to nothing.
I'm fitting LED's from lightech. What flasher model? Thanks!! I was about to solder resistors...

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:57 AM

James, the flasher module that MV uses didn't seem to like the extra load on the system and had problems resulting in slow or no flash (light with no blink).

If you use LED's however, you will need to use some sort of load equalizer anyhow. Resistors or a Load Equalizer like the one from Badlands.

I am use the Load Equalizer III from Badlands: http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well, last week falls within the last 5 months. So I think I'm good on that. The wiring on awiners bike is excellent! I'm looking forward to hooking this stuff up.....now, where did I put that duct tape and bailing wire.......
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:12 PM

BDMF, one thing I would highly recommend is going to a auto parts store and getting a weather proof 3 position quick disconnect plug like the one that MV uses on the underside of the rear tail. This way when you want to remove your tail for maintenance you can without cutting any wires. The quick disconnect plugs are much better than using crimp on bullet plugs as well.

One thing I am going to do is re-design the Hyper Lite mounting bracket. I am going to make a T shaped unit out of aluminum then powder coated black. The T brackets will then mount on the exhaust hanger location (on each side) under the under tail and the Hyper Lites will get attached to them. This will line them up perfectly with the rear vents as well.

This way, the mounting and wiring will be cleaner and removal of the rear tail will be simple. The Hyper Lites will simply stay mounted to the T brackets at the exhaust hanger.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner
James, the flasher module that MV uses didn't seem to like the extra load on the system and had problems resulting in slow or no flash (light with no blink).

If you use LED's however, you will need to use some sort of load equalizer anyhow. Resistors or a Load Equalizer like the one from Badlands.

I am use the Load Equalizer III from Badlands: http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/

Thanks. Unfortunately I am familiar with this scenario I am also familiar with badland's product.

I was hoping there was a two or three prong relay ID to try Sounds like there may be... Otherwise I'll be getting a metallic housed resistor.

Thanks again

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner
BDMF, one thing I would highly recommend is going to a auto parts store and getting a weather proof 3 position quick disconnect plug like the one that MV uses on the underside of the rear tail. This way when you want to remove your tail for maintenance you can without cutting any wires. The quick disconnect plugs are much better than using crimp on bullet plugs as well.

One thing I am going to do is re-design the Hyper Lite mounting bracket. I am going to make a T shaped unit out of aluminum then powder coated black. The T brackets will then mount on the exhaust hanger location (on each side) under the under tail and the Hyper Lites will get attached to them. This will line them up perfectly with the rear vents as well.

This way, the mounting and wiring will be cleaner and removal of the rear tail will be simple. The Hyper Lites will simply stay mounted to the T brackets at the exhaust hanger.

So noted.

Make 2. I would be happy to pay for the part, and it looks like a good idea.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC
Thanks. Unfortunately I am familiar with this scenario I am also familiar with badland's product.

I was hoping there was a two or three prong relay ID to try Sounds like there may be... Otherwise I'll be getting a metallic housed resistor.

Thanks again

The relay Pirate is using is a Tridon EL12 variable load relay flasher. You can get one at most auto parts stores for $4 - $5.

Personally I switched to using a Electronic variable load relay unit only becuase it is square as opposed to the EL12 which is round and the square form factor fit in the intended position easier without squashing and turning oblong.

If you want I can give you the manufacture and part # when I get home from the realy box. I got it at Big A Auto Parts.

James, you may also want to check into something like this relay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PIN...QQcmdZViewItem - which is aimed at LED's.

Last edited by awiner; 03-22-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode