Quickshifter behavior (Brutale 800) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quickshifter behavior (Brutale 800)

Hi,

I've just (a week ago) got my new Brutale 800 and I am extremely happy on that bike and it puts more than a smile on my face.
Put 800km so far and haven't been to the fisrt service yet.
But, I've never ridden a bike with eas or "quickshift" before.
On my Brutale quickshifter seems to be working quite quirky and odd...
I have found it's reliable only between 3 and 4 k rpm and with a low throttle opening. Outside of that parameters, I can't predict what is going to happen at all.

For example today, I was driving in 3rd gear at 4.5-5k rpm and wanted to upshift, the shifter first got into neutral and then switched back to 3rd. The other day, I was riding at 6-7k rpm, and hit the upshift, it switched to neutral first and then did upshift but with a loud kick inside the gearbox (felt more like upshifting at 10k with no clutch).

Is that normal, should it be handled with extreme care and only be used in a low rpm range with low throttle opening ?
Somehow I doubt and feel like ready to exercise my warranty

Best Regards, Milan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Established Member

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60370

I had a similar issue.

I ended up turning mine off, and have not had a "miss-shift" since.

You can do perfect up changes with the slightest of throttle "blips". The EAS would save you f%$k all with on road shifting (unless you dragging everyone off the lights ) I think the EAS is designed for track use, both twistie and straight tacks.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Hello Milan, and welcome to the forum.
The eas system is not intended to be used at low rpm, this is most likely why you are having problems. Try using it at high revs ( 10000+) with the throttle wide open and I'll bet it works perfectly. For normal street riding I would recommend using the clutch like any other bike.

We're all here, but we're not all there.

Last edited by GREGOSTINI; 10-15-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM

New Site Garage
Wink Welcome to the forum Milan

Greg is right (this doesn't happen very often ), eas is designed for higher rpm applications, and don't pussy foot it, make sure you move those gear into place.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 AM

if you are new to the bike and QS, this is what I did back then, find an open road just use right hand only to turn the throttle open and up shift every single gears as you go until you get use to it

usually most QS set at 7500rpm some are set at SENSITIVITY AND KILL TIME

GOOD LUCK, AND HAVE FUN TO PLAY WITH IT

07-MV Senna 201/300 My wife gift for my BD
05-MV F4 Track bike
16-Ducati DVT-S
10-Ducati 1198R
08-Ducati 1098
09-Ducati 848 Her bike turn in track bike
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the answers, my sleep is a bit easier now I will most certainly try to nail the throttle open and not pussy foot it, a see how it goes. Need to wait for this weekend (an I'll come back with the feedback) and very early in the morning as all roads in my area will be packed with traffic any other time.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Yet reading more from earlier Letme2305's post gives me more confidence that I did not break anything and that quickshifter is not faulty, but rather a driver being a gentle pussy that is used to drive low-reving ducati monster s2r.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM

In 12 years of shop experience, I have learned that the vast majority of "shifting problems" can be fixed by adjusting the shift lever to the right position to ensure a solid, positive shift.
A lot of people just barely dab on the lever causing lots of miss-shifts.

I have ridden dozens of B800/675 with EAS and it worked beautifully on everyone of them - at pretty much any rpm. But generally electronic sifters work best at med-hi rpm under solid or hard acceleration. Sometimes they can be a bit finiky when trying to shift with neutral throttle.
You have to remember, electric shifting came from the drag racing world, not the commuting or touring environment.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about going for adjustable foot pegs, or even the whole rearset as I thought I would like shorter gear lever travel...but I think I can get used to the stock setup, as we're on better (friendlier) terms day by day, each day when riding. And I actually like the way stock pegs look with small mv logos while they offer decent traction with the foot.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2much View Post
In 12 years of shop experience, I have learned that the vast majority of "shifting problems" can be fixed by adjusting the shift lever to the right position to ensure a solid, positive shift.
A lot of people just barely dab on the lever causing lots of miss-shifts.
That's the first thing I changed when I got home after picking up my bike, the shift lever was set far too high, you needed to be double jointed to get a positive change, I lowered it by about an inch.

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode