Flash to Pass High Beam Mod? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Flash to Pass High Beam Mod?

I used search function and couldn't find any definitive ""How To's" so hoping someone can help. I installed an plug n play HID system on my Brute a few months ago, the same brand I use on all my machines. I work at night so I do a lot of night riding in very dark areas of the city and HID is awesome to have.

I use my flash to pass feature a lot during the day when riding in the city to help lessen my chances of incompetent drivers from turning left into me. However, my HID ballast is not happy with the quick off/on pulses when I'm flashing someone. The ballast needs a few seconds to recover to "re-light" the low beam bulb. Once in a while the low HID bulb takes 15 to 20 seconds to relight. Dangerous at night. I want to rewire the OEM system so the low beam relay does not shut off when I flash to pass so th HID ballast always has power. I have read people use a diode or make a jump wire inside the headlight to accomplish this but didn't give specific instructions.

I'm aware that MV probably wired the system for either US DOT regulations or didn't want to have a high load on the electircal system by having both high and low beams on at the same time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

88 BMW M5 (Dinan Stroker -Euro Conversion)
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
2016 Range Rover SVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:07 AM
col

New Site Garage
what brand of HID are you using

i have a form of dislexia as i have said plenty of time and it dont bother me .................. but im not stupid or a tard so dont try it on

MV Brutale's go faster than a crackheads dole payment and that's fast

I WAS A BIKER BEFORE IT BECAME A FASHION STATEMENT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I'm using Pro Tuning Lab kits. Made in Japan - slim ballast. I just found this post in the F4 section and got some ideas but doesn't quite answer my particular question.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ication&page=3

These guys were trying to delay the igniter from coming on while the engine is started. My 2008 Brutale is set up so the headlight does not come on until the engine is actually running. So somehow my bike is already wired the way they were trying to modify their system. They were using a diode mod.

I'll read some of their post again and see if I can use their mod. I'm just trying to keep my low beam from shutting off when I flash to pass. I seem to have read that some bikes (maybe non US) can flash to pass w/ out the low beam shutting off. My thinking is just splicing a live wire when ignition is on to power lead of the ballast to keep it on when I flash to pass. Is there a danger of causing a short or fire in my thinking? Thanks

2016 Range Rover SVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I am going to have to check my 2008 312R...I didn't think it shut off the low beam when using the Flash to Pass feature....

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Mine keeps the low beam on when I press the button. The low only goes off if I use the switch on the grip to switch entirely over to high beam.

It also be default doesn't light the low until the bike is running. When it's on battery power, it only lights the LED running lights.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5zealot View Post
Is there a danger of causing a short or fire in my thinking? Thanks

My thought was they wanted all the juice to the starter. Then the light.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Is there a danger of causing a short or fire in my thinking? Thanks
No, Randy, its not a Bimmer

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 10-04-2013 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm using Pro Tuning Lab kits. Made in Japan - slim ballast. I just found this post in the F4 section and got some ideas but doesn't quite answer my particular question.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ication&page=3

These guys were trying to delay the igniter from coming on while the engine is started. My 2008 Brutale is set up so the headlight does not come on until the engine is actually running. So somehow my bike is already wired the way they were trying to modify their system. They were using a diode mod.

I'll read some of their post again and see if I can use their mod. I'm just trying to keep my low beam from shutting off when I flash to pass. I seem to have read that some bikes (maybe non US) can flash to pass w/ out the low beam shutting off. My thinking is just splicing a live wire when ignition is on to power lead of the ballast to keep it on when I flash to pass. Is there a danger of causing a short or fire in my thinking? Thanks

Did you call them at get them to send you a motorcycle kit or do you have a spare laying around?
Also where did you locate the ballast? I've thought about getting HIDs but this is a challenge compared to my older, faired bike.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

mine is like Poon Stick's

low or high the light doesn't go on until the motor is running

low stays on while flashing the high

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Sorry for late reply...been busy trying to fix my turn signals in my 25 year old M5.

My 2008 910S came from the factory (or dealer I bought it from) w/ low beam shutting off when either flashing to pass or flicking the high beam switch on. The low beam did not come on until the engine was actually running. (no lights w/ ignition being switched on)

My HID kit and it's functionality has not changed this at all. I have the same kit on two cars and three other motorcycles. To answer a question though....the slim ballast is mounted near the air filter box. The unit is plug and play so no direct power wire to the battery to power the ballast. Everything plugs into OEM headlight plugs inside the headlight. Like others in here I did have to drill a small hole behind the housing to accommodate the HID harness.

There must be a simple way to keep the low beam circuitry to not loose power when I flash to pass or turn on high beam. That's all I want for Xmas really!

2016 Range Rover SVR

Last edited by M5zealot; 10-08-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode