This beautiful handle nearly killed me!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

This beautiful handle nearly killed me!!!

The original MV Agusta handle has a little spring on the handle allowing the oil to go back into the tank when the pressure builds up.
This beautiful handle just let the oil pressure builds up in the brake and I found myself doing an involuntary emergency stop with the front brake on a motorway as a consequence.
I just had the time to pull on the side (I was at slow(ish) speed on first lane) and saw a BMW that was driving too near my back anyway narrowly avoiding me.
This is the hard way to find this out, although it could have been a lot worse.
I hope this will warn some of you.
Gosh, I appreciate life a bit more after this
Attached Images

Only a Biker knows why a dog
sticks his head out of a car window.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM

New Site Garage
Glad to hear it wasn't a whole lot worse. I thought the CRG handles utilized the stock workings, just a different handle piece? Did you end up getting the bike shipped home or were you able to relieve the pressure and continue on?

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

The pressure came back as normal when it cooled down and I was able to ride again a little while before the problem came back.
I originally thought it was a built up of water in the oil but the mechanic at j9motorcycles (Surrey/UK) took a split second to point the handle as the problem.
I was down there for a MOT. Funny enough, MOT doesn't care about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The problem is the lever is slightly depressing the master cylinder piston which then blocks the pressure relief port. So heating brake fluid can't expand into the reservoir.

My CRG also had this issue, but I recognized it when I was installing it. I milled 0.5 mm off the portion that contacts the piston to achieve proper clearance.

I had several emails back and forth with CRG about this, as it is a safety concern, and they assured me they would address the tolerance issue with their QC people. I think it must be a quality control problem, as you don't hear about this all the time, and CRG makes popular levers.

I have seen this same problem with other aftermarket levers on other brands of bikes.

Contact CRG and let them know. Maybe they will send a replacement. Or do what I did.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 AM

Does the 'setting' of the lever (1,2,3 or 4) make a difference? I ask as I have CRG levers on an EV03 and haven't had a problem and obviously don't want to..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
Does the 'setting' of the lever (1,2,3 or 4) make a difference? I ask as I have CRG levers on an EV03 and haven't had a problem and obviously don't want to..
It doesn't make any difference.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeorex View Post
It doesn't make any difference.
This is what I was talking about....seems a QC issue.

It is the piece that is bolted on with the pivot bolt that is slightly too "tall" where it contacts the piston in the master cylinder. The adjustment lever simply changes the distance of the lever from the grip.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Ed, can you show us where you removed metal from as I have seen this on one of my bikes.
jimboF4
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckler View Post
Glad to hear it wasn't a whole lot worse. I thought the CRG handles utilized the stock workings, just a different handle piece? Did you end up getting the bike shipped home or were you able to relieve the pressure and continue on?
In all fairness to CRG, I just checked and they are not CRG handles.
They are CNC levers from mfactory:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200758432121

They seem to sell a lot of them and the shop had very few bad reviews.
I never thought changing a handle could have such a dramatic impact on safety.
A few of their customers are bound for a nasty surprise.

Last edited by xeorex; 08-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM

New Site Garage
Exclamation Lesson learnt

This come's up way too often. The stuff from China via ebay is/can be dangerous, that's why I prefer to buy from the guys who actually knows what an MV looks like, and if I can't afford it, I keep the standard gear.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode